main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate What makes a good, or even 'the best', country?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Everybody knows inventing the cheese slicer makes your country the greatest in the world, as any Norwegian would attest to. "Inventing" the paperclip is just what proves it to the rest of the world.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok, we can add metrics for education and for inventing implements designed to assist with the apportioning and serving of cheese.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Maybe people have access to affordable healthcare, but air and water pollution are so awful that health outcomes still suck. Economic burden is important, but there are other measures that "access to affordable healthcare" doesn't necessarily get at.

Maybe you find out how healthy the population is. How long do people live, what's the infant mortality rate, age-adjusted quality of life, disease prevalence, disability, what are the obesity rates, rates of smoking, etc.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think we should stick mostly to the serving of cheese. also greatest variety of cheeses, cheese consumed per capita, number of festivals and holidays related to cheese, etc.

5. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    If your country doesn't have at least one cheese holiday, what's even the point?

6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Vermont is known for its cheese festivals, so that's probably the greatest country on earth. Or Wisconsin- land of cheese curds even though it's the Canadians who do Poutine, which is the world's greatest cheese-related food. I'd eat poutine every day of the week if fresh curds were easier to get hold of.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How can you say this when you have d'Affinois, the King, Queen, and inbred Prince of Cheeses?

dp4m likes this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    mixing that with french fries and gravy would get you nowhere.

SuperWatto likes this.
  9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't know about "the best" but there are some things I can think of that would help make one a good country:

Tolerance backed by law.
    Liberalized economics.
    Environmental protection and amenities for recreation and leisure.
    Measured foreign policy tilted towards neutrality but still involved in international institutions and legal frameworks.
    Social safety net protecting society from absolute poverty(social insurance,health care, etc).
    A culture that values life, traditions, a common heritage, some permanence, yet still accepts innovation, experimentation and science.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If you baked it first, yeah - it would be melty and stuff.

But you must mix fries with mayo. That's a mark of civilisation.

I'm also not sure but I think patatje oorlog - war potatoes, literally - might beat your fries and gravy without a hint of mercy. Fries, peanut/sate sauce, mayonnaise and raw onion.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We have all of those same problems here, and it's terribly frustrating. I feel like metrics like these only look at ideals or stereotypes rather than reality.

Actually, I can live with this turn of events. Let's do it.

Poutine is magnificent, though I have to put in a good word for seared halloumi properly seasoned.

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Let's all just agree that the definition of "best country in the world" correlates with "who makes a good dish with fries".

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    SuperWatto -- but then Quebec would be at, or near, the top of the list (poutine).

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'd totally agree if it was a country

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They want to be, and we can't in good conscience make Canada the best at anything, being a US suburb...

16. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Wisconsin won the best cheese in the world last year, so yeah go CHEESE.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Anyone that doesn't know what the word country means automatically disqualifies their country.

18. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Canada. They gave us Martin Short, ice hockey, and some of the best maple syrup on the planet.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    And Celine Dion, Nickelback, Avril Lavinge, Nickelback, Justin Bieber, and Nickelback.

So, no.

SuperWatto - in addition to who makes good use of fries in their cooking, I would have to submit any nation that makes a snack that's, hypothetically of course, a waffle made from two thin layers of baked dough with a caramel-like syrup filling in the middle should qualify at the top.

I'm wondering if we're at the point where we need to just start watering you daily.

SuperWatto likes this.
  20. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Ha that was funny.

21. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Ah, but were they given or were they evicted? ;)

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    "What makes a good, or even 'the best,' country?"

Where the country makes all of its citizens happy. Which, naturally, is impossible. Silly humans.

Therefore any "answers" are invalid. From a technical point of view.

You may now continue your debating. And satirization. And everything else you all do here in the JC.

SithSense likes this.
  23. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You're from a 3rd world country, aren't you?

24. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Didn't Trump say the U.S. was a 3rd world country practically?

25. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I think the best country has slide guitar in it, and lyrics about mama and prison.

Rylo Ken likes this.