main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate What makes the biggest difference in a child's education

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Feb 2, 2015.

?

What makes the biggest difference in a child's education?

1. Social class

6.3%
  2. Schools

12.5%
  3. Teachers

12.5%
  4. Parents

68.8%
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Ender can you explain your statement a bit. Things are different in America. We have public schools and private schools.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Er... I'm pretty sure public and private schools are an international phenomena.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    One of the many many good things about not being the moderator of that old unmerged Senate anymore is that I'm not writing a PM to beezel right now, explaining how to make his topic Senate-worthy. I think we should all count ourselves lucky with that, or at any rate, beezel and I.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The Community as a whole has been the beneficiary of the Senate de-merger, but none more so than Beezel who awakens from his slumber every few months to post a number of threads which, had he thought about it a bit, he could have resolved on his own.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Nice, isn't it?

7. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    And were I that moderator I'd write a PM to you explaining why the Senate is an inappropriate place for an equidistant fun session to congratulate yourselves on how superior to beezel you think you are.

8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Or how bad the rules were. Luckily they are differrent now.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You know, SuperWatto, I see the above and am thankful we've had a good track record in Senate mods. It could have been so much worse.

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I like senate folk, and get along with them fine. Smuggler and Kimball are a little wacky, but I've dealt with worse. J-Rod and I are even, sort of frienemies (he thinks I'm funny... lol). I'm glad the merge happened.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It was a net positive. Smuggler's always been barking mad; Kimball has shifted opinion and ideology over the years in a rightward direction that I cannot support. He used to be the voice of reason.

No the net effect is a positive and Watto, he gets that. I promise, we spoke about it in Amsterdam. :p

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Watto has met my uncle.... went to a show of his when he played in Amsterdam. I gave Watto a pic of him (uncle) and me as a baby to blow his mind with... it worked. lol

13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Amsterdam is the JCC's Mecca. Everybody will pass through here at some point. If they are true believers.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    In the UK, private schools are called public schools, and public schools are called state schools. Teachers at public (private) schools are paid more than teachers at state (public) schools, so you'll generally get better teachers. You also have smaller class sizes, so the level of education is higher, in general. The downside is you probably have to waste your time learning latin.

15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I went to a show there- it involved a banana. That wasn't your uncle's was it?

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Probably not.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Parents encouraging their child's education is important. I see too many parents now who sit their kids in front of TV & don't read to them or take them out to places. Heck we have free-entry museums here so it's not like it's expensive to take a child somewhere they'll learn a lot.
    It's a big social problem though, poorly educated people who in turn have poorly educated children. How can parents be expected to help their kids with spelling & grammar when theirs is no good? How can they tell their kids about history & geography when they themselves know next to nothing? Relying on wikipedia to teach your kids things is not the way to go.

I agree it's not always easy for every parent to be around, but schools seem to be required to not just educate but pretty much parent kids now.

How do you fix it? The UK & US apparently score amongst the worst literacy rates in the world. Not good for nations with such large global influence.

Is that really true? I'm sure I got accepted into a Catholic School when I was looking for Secondary schools (which was turned down in favour of another school), and my family is absolutely not religious at all.

18. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    We also have this weird thing in the UK, where schools have COMPLETELY changed the way the current generation of schoolchildren learn mathematics from anything that their parents could possibly hope to assist them with - Crunching, I think its called, ostensibly to make it easier for kids to absorb, but if the previous generations assimilated the data just fine, why change it.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

This is why @GrandAdmiralJello's education was second-class.

Downside of learning Latin vs upside of being better? I'll take it!

(My school's crest had a damned wyvern on it. I mean, come on!)