main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Nordic people think about each other?

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Tod, Feb 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swedish_Jedi

Swedish_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    good job Enji. have you learned somehing about that or do u do that every spring/summer/autumn/winter??

2. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    A few years ago when my father and I were in Bergen the temperature was about 13 degrees and we thought it was the great weather of all time (blue skies, and slightly windy) but we noticed we were the only ones in short sleeves.

Viking are supposed to be immune to the cold. My father said "Are you kidding me? Leif Erikson sailed to the new world in his underwear...in January."

:D

--Joey

3. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    A few years ago when my father and I were in Bergen the temperature was about 13 degrees and we thought it was the great weather of all time (blue skies, and slightly windy) but we noticed we were the only ones in short sleeves.

Are you still using fahrenheits? If you are then it's no surprise you were only ones in short sleeves.

If you're using centigrade, it's still not surprising. I've never seen a norwegian without a sweater. I think it's a state law or something like that.

But seriously what I always tell to people: There's no such thing as cold weather, there's just wrong kind of clothing.

4. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    good job Enji. have you learned somehing about that or do u do that every spring/summer/autumn/winter??

Well, I don't do it in the winter. But no, I haven't learned from it. I still like to swin in the ocean, and nothing short of ice can stop me... ;)

Actually, I'm not that fond of the cold. I usually spend the winters curled up in front of a fireplace dressed in a nice warm sweater. :)

5. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    No I am using Centigrade. I think I am probably more comfortable using Centigrade that you all are using Farenheit right?

I am an engineering student so all my calculations are in celsius.

--Joey

6. Enji

May 14, 2002
    I've never understood those Fahrenheits. Celsius is so much easier (and it was named after a man from my hometown :D). It's very convenient in the autumn/winter. If the thermometer shows a positive number, well, you don't need a woolen cap. If it shows a negative number, you do. Easy as that!

Today we have 4 degrees Celsius. No need for the cap. :)

7. Mr_Farenheit

Mr_Farenheit Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2002
    Well. I don't think i'm that hard to understand. =)

8. Swedish_Jedi

Jul 15, 2002
    it is not a negative degree today it's at the line between...at 0 so you do not freeze...

9. Enji

May 14, 2002
    If it's 0 degrees outside, and they tell you on TV that it will be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold will it be tomorrow? :confused:

If anyone can offer a good answer to this question, I'd like to hear it!

10. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    If it's 0 degrees outside, and they tell you on TV that it will be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold will it be tomorrow?

It's a bit strange that anyone would say that but it can be true in theory. The weather observation posts record temperatures with one decimal but they're generally rounded so 0 degrees is is somewhere between 0,5 and -0,5 degrees. So if it's twice as cold as 0 degrees it could mean almost -1. But that's perfectly idiotic way to say about temperatures overall and I don't believe any good meteorologist would say that kind of things.

11. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    I agree, that is a terrible way of saying that.

I one time heard a TV announcer say that with the airconditioning not working, and an audience of almost 30.000 people (I figure if I am writing in english, I might as well use your decimal system :p) was very hot. It was 98.6 (Human body temperature in Farenheit) times 30.000...he offered to let someone else multiply that for him.

Idiots...

:p

--Joey

12. _SithSpawn_

_SithSpawn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2000
    Maybe when he said that it would be twice as cold he actully meant that it would be half as warm? Anyway if you change from Celsius to Kelvin, 0 degrees outside would be 273.15 Kelvin. That way twice as cold would be -136.575 degrees (or 136,575 K). :p

13. Swedish_Jedi

Jul 15, 2002
    Enji..it's simple....0(degrees today)*2(double)= 0

14. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Crikey, _SithSpawn_, that's cold! Let's hope it'll never get that cold here... ;)

15. _SithSpawn_

_SithSpawn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2000
    There is actully a simple solution to the problem. If he said that it would be twice as cold tomorrow then all you had to do was to wait until tomorrow and check the temperature. And since tomorrow was a few days ago, how cold was twice as cold?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.