main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What old fantasy movies would you like to see remade?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Pogey, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    I think it would be neat to see a non-musical non-little kiddy Wizard of Oz

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The Never Ending Story.

3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'm thinking Dragonslayer, but after the travesty that was Dragonheart, I think the original is perfect as is.

4. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Ah yes Sean Connery as a Dragon. A true highlight of modern cinema.

5. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    Labrynth, without David Bowie in tight pants.

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah, that sounds good. A lot of the kiddie movies made better would be fun. Most re-makes are dull and have a stale feeling, with a couple exceptions.

7. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    A new version of krull might be interesting.
    A good big budget King Arthur movie would be good to see to.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    A new version of Krull would rock if done right(better and faster paced fight scenes). I like that movie a lot and still watch every now and then on dvd.

Ladyhawke would be interesting to see remade.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think if it were done in grim fashion it could be interesting, but the original is such a classic I doubt anyone would touch it, or should touch it. There were stories beyond this one though.

The only thing I'd like to see done is have Vermithrax touched up a bit here and there, not a full CGI replacement, just a clean up where you can see the dragon is dropped in or looks like a puppet. there are really only two moments where it looks obvious but otherwise Vermithrax is the best special effect dragon ever put on screen. I'd like to see a DVD with "making of" portions and interviews. The current DVD is just chapter selection.

I can't really picture a Krull remake.

10. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah I remember watching Krull as a kid and thinking it was pretty cool. Then I bought it on DVD and my memory soon turned out to be faulty. A faster pace and better fight scenes would turn it into a classic.

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Here here to your second choice. Although I do have to say that as much as Bruckheimer annoys me, I loved his King Arthur.

I'd love to see Dragonslayer remade with modern CGI to back it up.

12. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    I think the best old movie for a remake/sequel would be Conan the Barbarian. It has a really cool story and a really good atmosphere but I personally felt that the execution of the movie could have been a lot better. Now with all the CGI, the movie could be remade with all the latest technology.

13. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    With today's technology, you could make a cool Wizard of Oz, but I'd never want to see it happen. I love the '39 version too much.

I WOULD be interested in seeing a dark take on a Wizard of Oz "prequel" of sorts, chronicling the war in Oz against the Wicked Witch of the East, up until the moment Dorothy's house falls on her. That might be cool.

M. Scott

14. BobaFett22

BobaFett22 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2005
    Clash of the Titans [face_dancing]

15. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Someone said:Labyrinth, WITHOUT DAVID BOWIE?!

*runs away crying at the very thought*

16. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    TRON...I mean - just think of the possibilities now not only with SFX, but story line as well. One of my favorites....really ahead of it's time...

But I'd see Clash of the Titans as well!

[face_peace]

17. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I disagree. The movie is great enough as it is. No remake would ever live up to it. The special effects are crappy of course, but to me it's not worth making a remake of it just because of that. A sequel would be great, though, preferably one better than Destroyer.

18. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    When a remake is done with the main intent being to have upgraded special effects; that's when you lose the true storyline. Most likely it would ignore much of the story and mainly focus on blowing the audience away with awesome special effects. I wouldn't want to see a remake of Conan either since I know it wouldn't be made for the right reasons.

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    How can anyone suggest TRON, Clash of the Titans or The Neverending Story? Those are classics and part of what makes them so great is their imperfections in light of today's advancements. I will stay tuned whenever I happen to be lucky enough to catch it on TV by chance.

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    That's an interesting statement. I'm not sure if I agree with it or not. With today's technology one could take The Neverending Story and really nail the SFX. However, it is also too easy to go overboard and / or be lazy with an update of a classic and do it a grave injustice.

It's all to do with effort. The originals may well have many imperfections, but those films are known as 'classics' because when they were made they had as much effort put into them as possible. So the imperfections are seen as charming and unavoidable, and therefore okay - an endearing reminder of the age. Today however, there's a lot of laziness in films; particularly SFX heavy films. Any Neverending Story remake would no doubt be an SFX heavy affair, and unless it were to receive top of the line treatment (unlikely for a children's film) it would be riddled with imperfections borne not of limitations of the available technology, but of the blase-money-grabbing-shove-it-out-to-kids-in-a-less-than-spectacular-state attitude of too much of today's film industry. A not so endearing reminder of the age.

21. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    My father and I are talking about this and he suggested remaking the movie

Casablanca, Harrison Ford could but he is getting old.

on the other hand my father and I agree Matthew McConnahay

22. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    As you went on to somewhat say yourself, is that really IMPROVING the film though? Is there a REASON to make the film a second time with just some cleaner compositing? The FX should serve the story, and as it is they do just fine. Is there anything you can add to the value of the film that makes it worth remaking?

M. Scott

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Strangely, most old fantasy movies that come to mind are ones I would not want to see remade. There's a reason they stay in our memory. Whether it's just nostalgia or that we truly loved them for what they were.

The ones that really need remaking are the ones we don't even remember. And I can't think of a one after sitting here and tying for ten minutes, though a number of fun old Hammer Horror movies do surface. ;) [face_laugh]

24. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Short Circuit and stick to the original script where #5 was originally evil and, I believe, out to kill people.

Yes, at one time Johnny Five wasn't supposed to be nice and cutesy.

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Absolutely, but if it's done with the appropriate commitment I still wouldn't be adverse to seeing it happen.

The story is wonderful as it is. I don't think it needs improving, so in that respect no. But Peter Jackson's recent King Kong remake added nothing except tedium to the original, and that was (despite my own opinions on it) a reasonable success. Everything Jackson changed and added was a selfish indulgence, diluting the story to breaking point. However the SFX was (for the most part) a triumph. He brought a classic film to a new audience - but didn't do it as well as he could.

Now a Neverending Story remake would require it to be done as well as possible, or not at all.

I think a remake utilising state of the art technology and perhaps, better actors, would be a boon. It's such a great concept, and whilst the original (heh, 'original'... I speak as if there is a remake! :p) made great use of the technology of the age, an updated version, keeping to the story as originally told (no embellishments), and making use of technology that could really really sell it would be cool.

I really love the idea of bringing The Neverending Story to a proper audience, instead of the seasonal television audience it currently receives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.