main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What old fantasy movies would you like to see remade?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Pogey, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Remake Krull. That one was one of my favorite 80's movies. The CG could really help that movie.

2. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I'd like to see a modern take on Superman. I really don't see the need for anything else because some remakes were just atrocious.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Modern take on Superman?

You mean, Lois & Clark? [face_worried] :p

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I wouldn't seeing Legend remade.

5. Stained-Blade

Stained-Blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2005
    I'd like a remake to be made too, for different reasons. Milius made coleslaw out of Robert E. Howard's original story elements, and added one idea - slavery - that the Conan from the original stories would not have tolerated for a Cimmerian second. Like Thulsa Doom, it was an element from the earlier Kull stories. I'm convinced that REH dropped Kull and created Conan specifically because the image of a "happy slave" was a big mistake for a hero.

The themes that REH developed, of barbarism being strength and civilization being weakness, was ignored by Milius, who treated us to images of Conan's tribesman running away from Thulsa's warriors and dying with wounds in the back - not what I'd expect from Cimmerians based on Howard's writings.

A darker, sexier film, with more realistic swordplay and Lovecraftian horrors, would be just the ticket.

6. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Logan's Run could really use an updating.

Or it could just be the fact that I watched it at 2am in the morning on Sci-fi channel.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Bryan Singer is supposed to be doing a remake of that

8. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Rock on!! I love this forum, I get to read all sorts new spoilers, etc. that I never would have found out before.

9. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    If the Wizard of Oz didn't have such a nostalgic legacy, I would love to see a remake. But it would definitely be criticized due to the 39 one.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i agree. i think that would be an unneccesary remake. for all we know Tim Burton would be doing it[face_plain] [face_worried]

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    If the film was done right once,no need to remake it

12. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Conan the Barbarian, a remake of that would be awsome.

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Hawk the Slayer. Keep the story, but with better SFX. Orlando Bloom should kneel in holy reverence before Crow.

14. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004

I really dont think enough credit is given to J.M.s' " Conan the Barbarian ". It stays so thematically true to Howards' stories and I gotta tell ya - Arnuld is perfectly cast. He IS Conan. Put aside the thick Germaic accent and the guy is a great actor, from a delivery and physical prose standpoint. And to answer the question I think a logical remake that would work in this day and age is " The Thief of Bagdhad ". Its an all time classic that hasnt seriously been remade, although there were a couple of paltry attempts that really dont merit a mention.

15. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    I really like the idea of redoing Wizard of Oz.. as a prequel stopping when the house falls on the witch....

I would like to see the animation film Wizard redone..... live action...

But what I would really love... is a movie based on Edgar Rice Borroughs Warlord of Mar's books.... one of my altime favorites...... up untill now I did not think any movie could do it justice... but now... I think it would be great....

16. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    When I saw the title, the first thing that came to mind was The Neverending Story and Highlander.

17. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Krull was the first film to jump into my mind when I saw this thread. It doesn't have the following that some of the other films recommended here do and I think it would be an excellent remake.

Also, Singer is doing Logan's Run and I will be the first person in line for that film at my local cinema.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.