main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What order should the movies be watched in?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Kelemvor4, Dec 28, 2016.

?

What order should the movies be watched in

1. 4,5,6,1,2,3,7

50.0%
  2. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

27.8%
  3. Other

22.2%
  1. Kelemvor4

Kelemvor4 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2016
    Hello,

I'm a long time (occasional) reader of TFN. This is my first post on the forum. I recently got married, and discovered that my wife has never seen Star Wars! She hasn't seen any of the films. Obviously she's heard of them, after all she is alive and lives on planet earth.

I've no idea how an average American woman managed to not see any of the films in her 36 years of life.

So, the new movie hit theaters and I said something like "Honey, do you want to go see the new SW movie this weekend?" She replied, "If you want, we can go. I haven't seen the others so it might not make sense to me."

I was surprised, then a little disappointed - as I probably won't end up seeing Rogue One until it's out on video. However, we discussed it and she wants to watch the movies with me. Yay!

So, I've got the joy of introducing my wife to Star Wars! The question I need to decide is what order should she watch them? Most people probably saw 4,5,6,1,2,3,7... However I'm wondering if it might be better for her to watch them in order (1,2,3,4,5,6,7).

What do you guys think, watch in order of release? Follow the episode numbering? Some third thing?

I've got a few days to decide as I'm going to order the blu ray discs so she can see them in HD.

TK42I likes this.
  2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    That's a hard one. I guess the story is more cohesive and flows better if you do it in chronological order, but starting with IV is always good because that's (in my opinion) the best story.

Skiara likes this.
  3. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3

That's it. No spin-offs or Sequel Trilogies.

Perfection!

StarGuppy and TK42I like this.
  4. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    4,5,6,1,2,3 for first time viewers
    3, RO,4,5,6,7, 1, 2 is my personal viewing order even though I barely watch 1 or 2 anymore

TK42I likes this.
  5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    4567123 or 3456712, if an adult watches it first. If it's a kid, then 1234567 with their parents next to it latest at Ep3. ;)

TK42I likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    For an additional views on this, there is a thread in Saga that discusses this issue. Click here to go there.

Skiara likes this.
  7. TK42I

TK42I Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 23, 2003
    My suggestion, watch it in the order they were released in, start with Episode 4 and so on... ...chronological order, but I totally agree with Skiara above.

8. StarGuppy

StarGuppy Jedi Padawan

Jul 27, 2017
    I would go with 4,5,6,1,2,3 because that gives a historical perspective of the saga as well as getting things rolling with some seriously great material. The prequels are great too, but it feels more to me like a perfect follow-up to the classic trilogy, to make the connections and show the backstory the classic trilogy sets up for the viewer. George thought the middle trilogy had the most commercial potential and I think it's a good place for anyone to take their first step into that larger world.
    TFA should be the last one seen. J.J. Abrams is NOT the person qualified to introduce George's universe to a newcomer.

9. Princess Peachy

Princess Peachy Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2017
    Chronological order. That's how I've always watched them.

10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    4 5 6 1 2 3 the first time.
    Then 1 2 3 RO 4 5 6 7

11. Ash_Skywalker

Ash_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 7, 2021
    I watched the series in this order

Star Wars 4 a New Hope

Star Wars 5 The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars 6 The Return of the Jedi

Star Wars 1 the Phantom Menace

Star Wars 2 The Attack of the Clones

Star Wars 3 The Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars 7 The Force Awakens

Star Wars 8 The Last Jedi

Star Wars 9 The Rise of Skywalker

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Solo: A Star Wars Story

12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Chronological order.

I try to watch things the way the creator wants me to.
    I can understand the appeal of release order though, especially if you are interested in the history of filmmaking.

darkspine10 likes this.
  13. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    That sounds like Sheldon except I am sure he said "I prefer to let George Lucas Disappoint me in the order he intended"

He was speaking about Clone Wars, of which IMHO he is wrong.........but sounded similar to me.

Dandelo likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    There’s a new order being floated in the fandom I gather.

“Nest order”

7 and 8

Then flashback to 4 and 5 for the OT context(?)

The flashback to 1 2 and 3 for the Vader context

Then back to 6

Then back to 9

I mean a trio of Palpatine films at the end is a thing…?

15. pojes

pojes Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2023
    I typically prefer classic anime, so the art style shouldn't be a problem for me. I'd just like to know if the TV series covers the same stories as the films, or if the films are stand-alone things. I definitely plan to watch all three at some point, anyway. I guess I'm mostly looking for a good starting point. What do people feel is the best introduction to the franchise?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  16. kingstondouglas

kingstondouglas Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2024
    One of my kids great friends has not watched any of the Star Wars movies...I know, I know...it will be okay.
    Anyway, over this upcoming spring break I was thinking of showing the movies, one per day, so he could see the movies.

Because I have all the versions I was wondering what your thoughts are on order of viewing?
    I could choose, as released, but it also makes some sense to show them in chronological order concerning the storyline.

What are your suggestions, and why?

Thanks for you input, and have a great day.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024