main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What order to watch the movies in?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Lady__Skywalker, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady__Skywalker

Lady__Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2002
    When Episode III comes out on DVD/video, what order should you watch the movies in if you've never seen them before?

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I'd say the correct order: 1,2,3,4,5,6 just becuase it wouldn't ruin any of the surprise.

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I'd have to say the correct order too. Ep I, II, III, IV, V, VI. You get the start, middle, and end of the story in a 12 hour block.

4. Chamby_X

Chamby_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    When I have kids, and I show them SW for the first time, it'll be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Only way to go. That's the way the story is supposed to be told.

5. Leia_Solo

Leia_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2002

I like the old ways. But if I was to show a person who never saw them all at once, I would do it in order: 1,2,3,4,5,6.

6. Gorin_Zachian

Gorin_Zachian Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    Id'd do it both ways, First 4,5,6,1,2,3 and then 1,2,3,4,5,6. TThat way you get the suprises of the OTand still get to see all parts in a row.

7. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    I would watch them 4-5-6 and then 1-2-3...but I am strange like that. If you watched them 1-2-3-4-5-6, then you would miss out on the dramatic "Luke, I am your father."

8. Red-Talon

Red-Talon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2002
    I think having the new generations watching them 1-6 would be best, that way Anakin's acts in Episode 6 have so much more meaning.

then you would miss out on the dramatic "Luke, I am your father."

Well I think everyone misses out on "Luke, I am your father" because its not an actual line in Star Wars. ;)

9. PlastiqPhantom

PlastiqPhantom Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2002
    If I introduce them to someone it would be 4,5,6 and then 1,2,3 but from now on I will always watch them 1,2,3,4,5,6 or what ever episode I feel like watching that day.

10. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I'll watch I-II-III-IV-V-VI because of Palpatine's background story. I like his rise to power

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    If Lucas didn't intend for the movies to be watched in any particular order, he wouldn't have assigned episode numbers to them. ;)

12. MandiJade

MandiJade Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2001
    As someone here old enough to remember when ANH came out the first time...

When I have kids, I'll probably show them in the order I saw them.

1) Star Wars: A New Hope is by far one of the greatest movies of all time. A classic in its standalone form.

2) I dont' want to spoil the "surprise" element of "Luke, I am your father." (paraphrase of the real dialogue) Even kids aren't stupid enough to not catch the fact that the little Anakin kid and Luke have the same last name. Also, I don't want to spoil the "Sister" thing either... (provided Ep III shows twins).

3) I think it'll teach a good lesson that anyone can be redeemed. They'll see Vader for all the bad he is. Then see him do something good and sacrificial in saving his son and killing Palpatine.

4) Then they can see Episodes I-III. That way they can then see everythinn in a new light and understand.

5) And this may be heresy to some of you, but I think that the OT has been the better of the movies thus far. Yes, TPM and AOTC are great flicks, but imho, ANH, ESB, and ROTJ are just better.

6) And after seeing 4-6, they can catch all the irony and foreshadowing in 1-3. One of my favorite scenes in TPM is when Qui-Gon introduces Anakin and Obi-Wan. It sends a chill down your spine thinking... "Obi-wan, meet the guy who's going to kill you one day."

7) It could even be a nice morality tale. "Do you want to become a bad guy like Darth Vader one day?" Ask them that after they see the OT. When they say "No," show them the PT. Show them the negative character traits in Anakin and use it to enforce the positive traits of the other characters.

I could go on, but I'm at work. :)

13. The_Shadow_SITH

The_Shadow_SITH Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    I will watch it in correct order. 1,2,3,4,5,6

14. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I would do it IV-V-VI-I-II-III. It's because this will help to further the surprise in the saga, as well as help show the ironies of what happened in the Prequels. If it's shown in order of 1 to 6, I'm afraid that we may grow to take the entire story for granted and not wonder about what happened before, the way we did in the order that it was released.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002
    ANH
    TPM
    ESB
    AOTC
    -III-
    ROTJ

16. Padme-Mappers

Padme-Mappers Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    poweranger: why such a strange formation?

17. Master_Grover

Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2002
    'Cause hes a comedian. [face_laugh]

18. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002
    i used the formation 4-1-5-2-3-6 because i love backstory. if i'm explaining sw to someone else this is the order i would choose. by starting with 4, you may have a viewer or two who would like to know more about old ben, so then i show 'em 1.(this would also fill in more detail regarding the force) with his backstory out of the way i would continue with 5, showing the further adventures of luke & co.

but then i would want them to see yoda doing more than just advising/instructing so i would take them straight to 2. but 2 leaves you with too many loose ends, so i would go right on to 3. i split up 4,5, and 6 because they are stand alone stories despite being connected. and 1 is so self contained that it appears to be a standalone. i'm using the new trilogy as a flashback sequence, so that anakins loss would be fresh in the mind of the viewer when watching 6.

this mixing might even make it easier to keep the prophecy in mind during the saga, and not quite so distant from the OT.

19. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    The way I will presented to my children someday.

Anh, ESB , ROTJ.

And the the PT, 'cause that what they are, prequels.

There is no reason to started from Episode 1, ANH is a much better movie to begin the saga with.

20. sven_dooku

sven_dooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2002
    I'd encourage people who are new to SW to watch them in the order 4,5,6,1,2,3 because that's the way just about everyone has seen them. It would spoil some of the dramatic moments in the OT if you watched the PT first - like somebody already said, the "No, I am your father" would not be nearly as effective if you knew it all along.

It will be interesting, though, to watch them in the order 1 through 6 once Episode III comes out.

21. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    1-6.

The much bigger surprises of Palpatine being a Sith, the Republic collapsing, the Jedi being killed, and Anakin falling to the Dark Side.

Then the suspense of whether Luke, when faced with similar trials will fall to the Dark Side.

Plus all the wonderful dramatic irony of us knowing more about the characters' histories than they do.

All reason to watch them in the order they were meant to be. The only major one I've really seen for 4-6,1-3 is "But what about 'I am your father'?" First of all, most everyone knows that already. It's part of pop culture. Second, I think the advantages I mentioned above far outnumber one surprise.

22. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Episodes I - VI. For the exact same reasons that Lord_Hydronium mentioned.

23. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    I agree with Lord_Hydronium for 101% :)

If we should make a list (hint :p) with 'surprises' of the PT and OT, we'll see that the PT has a lot more in it.

24. Bcanr2d2

Bcanr2d2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2002
    I would watch them in numerical order, like most people here. As for the "No, I am your father" line, we haven't seen E3 yet, so how can we summise what is actually revealed in the movie?
    How do we know what GL will leave unexplained, or what exact time will transpire between the end of 3 qand the beginning of ANH.
    We have a general inkling of what has to happen, but as to what point of detail is revealed in the movies is another question. To reveal too much in E3 leaves newer viewers watching the OT with no real surprise, but not enough makes the two trilogies too seperate.

If we could only have a new movie,
    Darth Vader: The Lost Years - a home movie of all his adventures between the end of E3 and ANH.......!!!

25. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    Another reason for watching I-VI: the music!! The mystery of the Imperial March for those who never heard of it before.

In TPM: only very brief, people won't pay much attention to it.
    In AOTC: the theme returns with the slaughtering , people think " I heard it before, in TPM, what should it mean.". Then it returns after the confession scene, they think: "Mmm, every time something bad happens, the theme reappears". And then, the finale (with the clones marching and Palps on the balcony), a grand blow out of the Imperial March. People think: "WOW, that doesn't predict much good"

Only a silly thought of the moment :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.