main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What order to watch the movies in?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Lady__Skywalker, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    1-6. I wouldn't start in the middle of a book, finish it, and then read the first half. If you watch them 1-6, you still have just as many surprises as 4-6,1-3. Even the things that aren't surprises anymore to you, are still surprises to the characters, and still are dramatic. After seeing ESB once, you know that Vader is Luke's father. However, that doesn't make the scene any less special the next time you watch it.

2. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Youve not taken story comprehension into account.

3. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    No question for first time viewers, it's 4-6, 1-3, 4-6.

I'm sorry, but this midichlorian junk introduced in TPM doesn't seem right. Obi-wan explains the concept of the Force perfectly in ANH. Besides, in the PT you see every single Jedi using some new Force trick. In the original trilogy, the Force has a larger than life feel to it. In the PT, it's nothing more than some cheap superhero power.

4. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    1 - 6.

I'm dying to be able to watch them all in that order. The prequels have already greatly affected how I see the OT. Seeing everything straight through I'm sure will be phenomenal, and incredibly eye-opening.

Besides... there's something called a story arc here. One that's been painstakingly and meticulously crafted over the course of 25 years. Why screw with it? Let George show off his visionary abilities.

5. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    VioletBurns-
    The Weenie concurs. After the fact.

But would you have rather seen them that way first, having absolutely NO prior knowledge of ANY Star Wars, if given the choice? If all movies are exactly the same as they are now...

6. TheVioletBurns

May 27, 2002
    You bet! In fact, I almost wish I COULD erase all I know about Star Wars and do the very thing. Once the saga's out on DVD I plan to find a Star Wars virgin and conduct that experiment on 'em... (they do exist; but the ones I already knew I dragged to AOTC)... at least then I might be able to experience such a thing vicariously.

7. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6

The revelations about Yoda and Vader are still there. Then you learn more about Anakin, all the while wondering who the Emperor is and what'll happen to Han. You see the difference between the Galaxy under the Republic and the Empire very easily. By the time you get back to ROTJ, things are made all the more tense since you've just seen Anakin succumb to the Dark side...then you see Luke start to slip in ROTJ. Anakin's tragedy is still fresh on your mind, showing that not all endings are rosy.

8. TheVioletBurns

May 27, 2002
    *gets a headache*

9. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    IV-A New Hope
    V-The Empire Strikes Back
    VI-Return Of The Jedi
    I-The Phantom Menace
    II-Attack Of The Clones
    III-?

I think some people have forgot the great impact that "I am your Father" had on movie-goers. It is one of the biggest moments in cinematic history. Don't ruin it for the next generation. Besides, ANH is a much better introduction to the Star Wars films, then TPM.

10. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    IV-A New Hope
    V-The Empire Strikes Back
    VI-Return Of The Jedi
    I-The Phantom Menace
    II-Attack Of The Clones
    III-?

I think some people have forgot the great impact that "I am your Father" had on movie-goers. It is one of the biggest moments in cinematic history. Don't ruin it for the next generation. Besides, ANH is a much better introduction to the Star Wars films, then TPM.

11. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    [The prequel films are] pretty confusing to someone who has never seen Star Wars before.

I think this is just a red herring thrown around by Lucas' more vocal critics. I know a couple people who had never seen Star Wars until The Phantom Menace and they haven't been the least bit confused with the prequels. I'm not sure where the misconception came from that the prequels are confusing, but there's not a shred of evidence to support it.

I also reject the notion that "the OT has a lot of dramatic tension and real camaraderie between the actors which is missing from the PT" since fans new to Star Wars have no trouble spotting dramatic tension and camaraderie in the prequels. I think it's because they have no misconceptions or preconceptions about what they expect to see giving them a unique clarity of vision that some original trilogy fans apparently lack.

Frankly, it's a no brainer to start with Episode I and watch the films in their correct narrative order. For me personally, while I've enjoyed the originals for years, it really surprised me how much more I enjoy them now that I know the whole story (with the exception of Episode III, obviously). I watched Return Of The Jedi recently, and I was shocked at how much more powerful it was after having seen Anakin's story.

12. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    Or maybe not.

IV, V, VI, I, II, III, the way they were meant to be shown.

13. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    1-6, definitely.

Surprises due to watching the OT first are balanced out with the surprised gained from watching the PT first instead.

Star Wars is not all about 'I am your father'.

As for the sudden Jedi and Force stuff in TPM, hell, that's a story practise that's bee used in a loads of stuff. Introduce characters with stunning abilities and powers, then explain it gradually.

14. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    4-6. The end.

Anyone who watched 4-6, then went back to 1-3 would be severely disappointed.

Anyone who started on 1-3 would be so bored, they'd never make it to 4-6.

15. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    the fact of the matter is the Prequel trilogy takes one of if not the best plot twist in history, and ruins it. Just destroys it. The scene cannot have the same impact as it did, regardless of new fans, or SW virgins or whatever.

So I say try, and people should watch them IV, V, VI, I, II, III. And I did like the idea of IV, V, I, II, III, VI, though, it will make a lot of sense that way I believe, and I will try that myself in 2005.

So there you have it :

IV, V, VI, I, II, III

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.