main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What plotline, character or scene in the entire Saga irritates you the most?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hudnall, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. target-maxfirepower

target-maxfirepower Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2005
    1. Basically all the Gungans suck
    2. The things that farts at the podrace
    3. The announcer at the pod race
    4. Any time Padme uses her decoys (how many times is this going to be used?)
    5. Midichlorians (doesnt ruin the movie by itself but does make the Force feel more like Star Trek than Star Wars)
    6. C-3P0's lame dialogue in the arena
    7. The conveyor belt scene when it isn't focused on Anakin
    8. Count Dooku (lame name, and why not just let Maul live and build up his character)
    9. The new entrance to Mos Eisley, too kiddy.
    10. The new face of the Emperor during the Holonet scene, why change a classic.
    11. The new Sly Snoodles song. Just terrible.

I'd say Hayden at the end of ROTJ but I don't think anyone likes that.

2. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I have to heartily disagree with you on points two and eight.

3. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    Openmind,

Moments like:

'We shall be robbed and crunshed! Not likely', we have nothing of value, that's our...'

'The queen doesn't need to know.. well i don't approve..'

And other little details...

It's funny even in the way it is shot..they walk, then they stop, and have these little dialogues, which are rather slow (all in all) if you ask me, and then they move on.

But I realise it is a difficult thing to point out, to put your finger on. It just feels very slow, it's the only part in all the 5 movies I get a bit tired...

But you seem to imply you've gathered a greater insight? Enlighten me! :)

Ps. did you notice how much emphasis is beeing laid on 'the storm'? Just noticed recently. Who knows how many more gems are beeing hidden, even within the parts written above!

4. durty_mynock

durty_mynock Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    when darth maul died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I know, I must learn control...)
    and when darth Vader died, indeed, I would prefer Luke died too...only human beings died!!! Vader is more than a human being,no????
    And of course, the battle Ewoks/Stormtroopers...why did stormtroopers didn't win versus stupids teddy bears?
    and dialogs in the PT sucks...(I haven't learnt it by hearth, like for the OT)

5. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Do novels and EU count also ? ;)

The most irritating things to me are :

- he mention of "Jedi Scientists" in the ANH novel

- Jedi Master Fay in the Clone Wars comics. Several thousand years old and no Lightsabre at all.

THey are irritating from my point of view, because theyextend the Star WarsUniverse as we knowit into areas we wouldn't imagine, I think. Jedi Scientists ? I would've never thought that, because all we see are Warriors (except Yoda, maybe ;) .

6. Han_Solo_Fan_03

Han_Solo_Fan_03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    Character: Jar Jar Binks!!!!! That name brings a chill down my back. As many people said before, he was so useless and annoying.

Scenes: The romantic scenes in AOTC, were really bad. I was really really excited about how GL was going to star the love between Padme and Anaikin. The scenes were so tacky and poorly written. I was very dissapointed.

7. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Nothing really irritates me in Star Wars. As much as I love these movies, they are still ONLY movies.

8. skywalkerboy13

skywalkerboy13 Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2005
    Midichlorians irritate me, but I hate Palpies death. I mean, most powerfull sith lord: thrown dow reactor shaft, while sub-par jedi (qui-gon) goes out guns a blazin'.

9. Jaina-Solo-1

Jaina-Solo-1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 21, 2005
    It wasn't the Ewoks as much as the time spent with the Ewoks. Those scene's seemed to take forever when I wanted to be back in that throan room with Luke and Vader.

Amen! =D= I like the Ewoks and all, but the throne room scene is my fave in all of SW, and I wanted to be back there! Lol!

But by far, the most annoying scene is the "Jedi Rocks" music video. I was like, Oh Force! Lucas, what were you thinking putting that in there! That's totally not Star Wars at all! It's just stupid! Not to mention the name. Why in Jabba's Palace, when the Jedi were supposedly extinct or something, would they be singing that? But yeah, that scene made me cringe.

10. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    I agree... the jedi rocks sequence sucks! it's the only thing I ever skip in Star Wars.. I can't bear to watch it!

11. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    I can't breathe! (although it still makes me giggle like a schoolgirl) Also, when Shmi dies and her head thrusts back. That was the only non-funny moment in any SW film where everybody in the theatre laughed hilariously.

12. Luckyto

Luckyto Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002

episode 2

13. darth_johnman

darth_johnman Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2005
    For all I love it dearly, there are a few things that bug me about the various Star Wars films:
    -The Ewoks. Even more so than Jar-Jar, since its becoming apparent that Jar-Jar had a part to play in the saga (in this case, the stooge who helps give Palpatine his emergency powers). And the Ewok music at the end of the original release ROTJ was really annoying, although the special edition music is much better.
    -The Executor plunging into the Death Star. Couldn't they have come up with a more plausible way to take it out? Couldn't that bad boy have at least taken out a couple of Mon Cal cruisers first? Lame.
    -The virgin birth. Don't see the point in it. However, I can at least sort-of understand midichlorians.
    -Having a 14-year-old elected queen of Naboo, who also happens to be an expert marksman (markspeson?). I just can't buy it...

14. darth_johnman

Mar 7, 2005
    Oh yeah, and I almost forgot having Greedo shoot first in the ANH special edition. That REALLY bugs me, because it looks so fake and there's no way he would have missed.

15. JawaChef

JawaChef Jedi Master star 3

Feb 13, 2001
    I agree with Darth Johnman on the point of Anakin having no biological father. That still doesn't sit well with me. First of all, it seems to me that Shmi is way too accepting of the fact that there was no father. If I were Shmi, I would be wondering things like who put what in my drink somewhere along the line, what night don't I remember, what could I have blocked out in my mind, etc. Even if I went through all of the possibilities in my mind and came up with no explanation, I still don't think I would go around admitting to people that my son was immaculately conceived. Maybe say "I don't talk about his father".

The other thing that irritates me has always been the older Uncle Owen. I know he was trying to protect Luke, but I just don't like it when parents/guardians try to hold their kids back.

16. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    It just caught me so off guard, I have to ask...

Darth Mimic said:

I'm also not a fan of Shmi saying that there was no father for Anakin. Especially because i think it's clear that Qui Gonn is Anni's father...

Could someone, anyone, elaborate on that? I have a relatively open mind, but I can't see it. (This is an honest question, I'm not mocking anyone or being sarcastic.) I'd really like to know... PM me if you don't want to post it here.

[rant]

The thing that bothered me most about the movies (well a lot of the things posted here have bothered me) but it would have to be GL's constant re-working of the films. I only saw the original OT once and liked the SE, but this is just going too far. I'd love to get the original version or the SE on DVD. (is it okay to ask about those "questionable means" for getting htem that someone mentioned earlier? again, feel free to PM me... :) ) And this revisionist history between the OT and the PT, that's just ridiculous. I mean it's been like twenty years... surely people couldn't forget that quickly...

Second most irritating would be all the age problems. Obi-Wan, Owen, Beru, they are all way too old in ANH based on their PT ages. And what's with the fourteen year old elected official?

Okay, [/rant]

17. killa_kid

killa_kid Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2005
    Hey, I signed up specifically so I could add to this topic

The most irritating thing to me in the PT, is the absolute reliance on digital characters/enviorments. Movies like LOTR, use large amounts of digital technology, but they still have physical sets and props. Almost all of the ending fight in AOTC is digital and it looks it.

When you have an alien that is a puppet, it has a physical reality to it. As it is moved around, it has gravity/wind/etc effecting it and you notice this. With digital technology you can make something look amazing, but also look out of place against real people. Best example is Jabba in ANH/TPM. I like how he looked in ROTJ, but he looks awful in the other 2.

In a specifically visual way JJB, Dex, and other digital characters look amazing, and the effort they put in, is obvious and they should be commended for it. But it doesn't work as well in the movie, as they think, IMO.

You can also tell GL is obbsessed with digital technology. Just listening ot the commentaries on the OT, you hear "with digital technology" and to me it takes some of the "realism" out of the movies

18. christuffer

christuffer Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2002
    There are a number of things connected with the PT that really bother me, many already mentioned.

Other personal ones include the fact that there is really no need for Anakin to come from Tatooine. It is just another unnecessary link and I'm sick to death of the place.

The way Yoda disagrees with Obi-wan about training Anakin at end of TPM and then just gives in and changes his mind. Yoda would have appeared much stronger without this turn and an opportunity for a far more interesting plot could have developed with Obi-wan training Anakin in secrecy. This would have linked in better with the OT.

Yoda should have finished off Dooku in AOTC. No better opportunity to show he is the powerful Jedi he must be.

Why the need for only two Sith? Seems to link badly to the end fight between Vader and Luke in ROTJ. Both Vader and the Emperor must know what the deal is, which makes it silly that Vader brought Luke before the Emperor, knowing that his master wants Luke turned to the Darkside meaning that he (Vader) must be killed off and replaced.

The fact that the whole of TPM could have been contained in the 'crawl' of another better first film. Instead, we are now left with the third film having to play catch-up and missing out or rushing through many of the story ideas we always wanted to see!

19. DarthYokel

DarthYokel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2005
    Hi new here, but wanted to add my opinion and say that the plotline that annoyed me the most was the fact that JarJar basically put all the powers into Palpatines hand

20. darth_johnman

Mar 7, 2005
    Actually Christuffer, there is a need for Anakin to have come from Tatooine. That being, the Lars family raised Luke there and they had to develop that backstory somehow. How else would Luke have ended up being raised on Tatooine by his aunt and uncle? It seems logical that Luke's family lineage would be from there.

21. christuffer

christuffer Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2002
    Although darth_johnman, we never had to assume than Owen and Beru had any kind of blood connection, or particularly direct connection with Anakin and his mother. They could simply have been foster Aunt and Uncle and entrusted with the care of Luke by Ben. In fact, I always thought this was the case before the PT was made. In the same way Bail was given care of Leia. Anything for a change of scenery!

22. pimpywan

pimpywan Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2005
    i love star wars as a whole, but i think we can all agree that there are some aspects which just rub us the wrong way.

first, i have to chime in briefly with the people who didn't care for the introduction of the midichlorians.

and, while i found both the ewoks and jar-jar irritating at times, i can understand their inclusion. we all have people that are corny and get on our nerves in our own personal lives, so i don't think that those characters really ruined anything. but GL got his laugh at jar-jar's expense in AOTC when he had the witless gungan minion play right into the military creation act that his human nabooian counterpart, padmé, so resisted.

i might also mention that the "jedi rocks" song was hella dumb. great animation, but a goofy song (and i absolutely cringed to see the weequay playing those big drums or cymbals or whatever). sure, george got rid of that dumb ewok song at the end of the movie, but he just geeked up tolerable jabba hideout scene earlier on to compensate, it seems.

(now here's where my inner SW nerd truly gets to shine!)

one of the changes GL made in the DVD version of EST really perplexed me, though. he changed the color of the blast from the planetary ion cannon on hoth from blue to red. now, every single thing i've seen, every game i've played, and every book i read up until then depicted an ion blast as blue (jawa ion rifle, Y-wing's ion cannon, and i think even the stun setting on a stormtrooper's weapon in the opening scene of ANH). this was a change that i have no idea why he included. the blast looked fine before!

i might sound like a naysayer here, but doubt not the veracity of my words when i say that i WILL see episode III in the theater thrice on the day it comes out!

23. darth_johnman

Mar 7, 2005
    True enough Christuffer, but ultimately GL had to explain how Luke came to live with Owen and Beru somehow. In that regard I kind of expected Anakin to be from Tatooine, although I agree that there were other story arcs that could have been taken.

24. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    The thing that annoys me most is Luke and Leia being brother and sister. Not only does it make the smooch in TESB creepy, it's an obvious cop-out to wrap things up in ROTJ. Another reason ROTJ was the weakest of all the Star Wars movies so far. Leia could have just as easily been "the Other" without being Luke's sister.

Same here. The brother/sister thing is probably my least favorite aspect of the story. It makes the kiss really awkward, especially since she said, "I've always known."

I'm not too fond of Boba Fett's origin being explained either. He was much better off as a mystery IMO.

25. Capt_Lando

Capt_Lando Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2005
    I love the Ewoks - I still cry when they show the one die

I love the midichlorins - geeky science stuff

What irritates me the most - 3 words

HAN SHOOTS FIRST

Why George...... Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.