main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What should Ahsoka's fate be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Aug 6, 2010.

?

What should Ahsoka's fate be?

1. Killed in a lightsaber duel (Grievous, Ventress, etc)

11.2%
  2. Killed by someone else (Bane, Vizsla, Boba, etc)

14.0%
  3. Noble self-sacrifice (ie. Weapons Factory)

17.5%
  4. Expelled from the Jedi Order

12.6%
  5. Away on a solo mission

3.7%
  6. Assigned to a new master

4.6%
  7. Knighted and away on a mission

4.9%
  8. Inserted in Order 66 sequence being killed

11.7%
  9. Fallen to the Dark Side

6.0%
  10. MIA/POW

13.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I thought I would bring up the Barriss part of this discussion just for one simple reason: I was re-watching "Lightsaber Lost" a couple of days ago and I realized to myself that Barriss being featured in that episode would have been perfect. Why? Well think about this: In that episode Ahsoka loses her lightsaber in the Coruscant Underworld right? Well what if the episode was written to have Barriss alongside with Tera Sinube joining Ahsoka in the Underworld in order to help Ahsoka find her lightsaber? What if Barriss while searching for Ahsoka's lightsaber catches a glimpse of Palpatine's speech and that is one of the things that convinces her that the Jedi being involved in the war is wrong?

Plus, having Barriss help Ahsoka find her lightsaber in the Underworld could be used as an explanation of why Ahsoka trusted Barriss so much in "To Catch A Jedi" and why she sought help from her-well other then them being friends of course. And it would make "Lightsaber Lost" go from a filler episode to an episode with some degree of significance.

I think what anakinfansince1983 was trying to get at was that the audience (particularly the general audience) needed to see more of Ahsoka and Barriss's interacting together in order to remind the audience that they are friends. When I originally saw "The Wrong Jedi" I was in tears when Ahsoka was expelled from the Jedi Order and I was in tears when Anakin tried to convince Ahsoka to come back to the Order after she decided to leave. I felt really bad for both Ahsoka and Anakin during both of those scenes. However, I did not feel anything emotionally when Ahsoka discovered that Barriss was the mastermind being the bombing and Letta's murder. Now, I understand that Ahsoka felt shocked/devastated/whatever when she found out that one of her closest friends was the one who set her up, but, I myself did not feel the same way. And its pretty much because I and the audience did not see many instances of their friendship onscreen.

Now we have seen plenty of moments of Ahsoka faithfully serving the Jedi Order and we have definitely seen many moments of her close bond with Anakin. And that's why plenty of viewers found the scene where she was expelled from the Order and the final few moments of "The Wrong Jedi" emotional. That is why viewers felt bad for Ahsoka, Anakin, or both Ahsoka and Anakin. However, we did not see much of her friendship with Barriss in this show (other than the Season 2 Geonosian arc of course) and frankly we should have seen more of their friendship in this show. That way the concept of Barriss betraying Ahsoka would have had more emotional weight and significance. I get that they were friends, but, the audience needed to see/be reminded that they were once friends with each other. And not just on a every now and then basis either.

With that being said the rest of the arc was perfect (I realized, for various reasons, that after watching "The Wrong Jedi" that Ahsoka walking away from the Order was the best fate for her.) and aside from the lack of interactions between Ahsoka and Barriss that could have easily been shown in previous episodes I really don't have any complaints about this arc.

Circular_Logic and 07jonesj like this.
  2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'm surprised nobody has yet complained that Offee is that old star wars supposed "racism" raising its head again.

Remember the Evil Chinaman Neimoidans?

The jive talking Jar Jar?

Watto the Jew?

TCW gives us Barriss Offee, who is drawn with kinda arabesque facial features, and who dresses like a Middle Easterner / Muslim. Guess who turns out to be a bomb-planting terrorist?

3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    This has actually been a subject broached upon, however briefly, in the Wrong Jedi episode thread shortly after the episode aired in March. I'll link to the post in question: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...cussion-thread.50010037/page-56#post-50505971
    Discussion on the Unfortunate Implications of this particular topic began about midway through page 58 of that thread. In particular, check out the follow-up posts by Mia Mesharad and QuangoFett, both of whom offer insights while expanding into issues of diversity in the show and the GFFA.

My take on this subject is that the writers probably didn't take any of this into account when they made the episode, hence the inadvertent stumble into the territory of Unfortunate Implications, which as you've noted is already present throughout the PT.

To avoid derailing this thread, I suggest taking the topic to the Barriss Offee Official thread or "Should Barriss be redeemed?" thread if you want further discussion...

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    As Jedi_Kenobi32 said, more or less, it's less "see/reminder" of an alluded to friendship, but the viewers lack of feeling their friendship and it reminds me of the debates about Obi-Wan and Anakin's friendship in the movies. Sure, we had moments in ROTS and perhaps a few in AoTC, but many didn't feel it and talking about it cannot fully replace the actuality of seeing, and therefore, feeling the friendship.

Same with Barriss and Ahsoka - oh, most of us get it that they were friendly. But good friends? Best friends?

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I only ever saw them as friendly acquaintances.

6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I actually had the feeling that they were lovers. They would have made a nice couple, methinks.

7. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    *backs away slowly...*

Jedi_Kenobi32 and Circular_Logic like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That would have worked much better than what we got, and it would have made the idea that Ahsoka felt "betrayed" far, far more believable.

People don't generally feel "betrayed" by an acquaintance going bad.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  9. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    It would have certainly been a brave way to go. People would definitely be talking about TCW that weren't before.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It would have been awesome, and the tears from the Pat Robertson types would have been delicious.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  11. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I just wished we could have seen more of Ahsoka and Barriss interacting together throughout the show's run. Using Valairy Scot's example of Obi-Wan's friendship with Anakin at least we have seen plenty of examples of them interacting together in the TCW. You know whether it be through going on missions together, fighting together, exchanging witty banter together, etc. You know, that sort of stuff. And I assume that we have seen plenty of examples of Obi-Wan and Anakin's friendship in order to make up for the lack of examples in AOTC and ROTS that Valairy Scot mentioned.

Now, I'm not saying that the writers should have plotted out Ahsoka and Barriss friendship like some mind numbing preschool show where Ahsoka and Barriss turn to the audience and state something stupid like: "Did you know we're friends! Yes we are friends! Can you say friends for us? All together now: Friends!" I just wished we could have seen more of Barriss and Ahsoka doing stuff together in the show. That way we, the audience, would have been able to feel how Ahsoka felt when she discovered that Barriss betrayed her. No more and no less.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, this thread is going to have to go on for awhile cuz I bet Ten Internet Dollars that Ahsoka will pop up in "Rebels" as well. Maybe it should be changed to "Rebels - What Should Ahsoka's fate be?"

13. Wonderllama

Wonderllama Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2013
    Series finale should be Darth Vader vs. Ahsoka Tano in a duel to end all duels!

14. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Not much of a Duel. She gets stomped.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ashoka would probably not be much of a match for Vader, but having her encounter him, and knowing that it's Anakin, would lead to oodles of potentially sweet drama. Only problem is there that Vader would probably try to kill her each time he saw her so most of their encounters would end with her running really really fast. Maybe yelling over her shoulder, "I will redeem you one day, Anakin! Really!" as she's dodging Vader tossing his lightsaber at her yelling, "Get back here, you little twerp!"

I really like the idea of her being in the show, skips over the continuity messiness of trying to cram her into the events of "Sith" and there are a bunch of stories you could play. Maybe Vader wants another Secret Apprentice just for the hell of it. The dramatic payoff is there, though, because it would allow something we haven't really seen: somebody who was close to Anakin, knew who he was, what Vader does, and how they, and Vader, deal with it. (The showdown between Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH is great but a lot of their history and drama is in between the lines)

phatdude1138 likes this.
  16. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I know the majority of folks are against this idea, but I would like to see Ahsoka being the helpful character she was designed to be, but with a secret desire to redeem Vader. However it just never happens, but then eventually she runs in to Luke and she learns that Anakin was eventually redeemed. A very old Ahsoka could then die happy knowing her former master was redeemed be his own son. I think it would be a really meaningful ending to Ahsoka and Anakin.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ahsoka / Vader stuff could be great drama but she can't be the one who redeems him for obvious reasons, or even really crack his Sith mask. I can see Ahoska trying, obviously, maybe a lot. And maybe even Vader playing along with it, not outright killing her on the spot but trying to make her turn to the dark side out of his need for attachments. But the story can't have a happy ending by it's very nature, unless something you described. Overall it'd be borderline impossible to spin the story into "a win" for the good guys if / when those two meet up. It's too great to just not do at all, and hopefully it will happen in the "Rebels" series but it'll be exceedingly difficult to pull of. But it could be really compelling.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Yeah, I'm all for continuity. So I wouldn't want her to redeem him. If this all takes place in "Rebels", then I think her fate should be again left as a cliff hanger like it was in TCW. It could be her "thing". Meaning at the end of every series she lives, but you won't know her fate until the next series.

I think Ahsoka failing to redeem Anakin is sad, but that's why I like the idea of an old Ahsoka learning from Luke that he was redeemed would make her "journey complete". Sad and compelling, but oddly still a happy ending. Also Luke could learn a LOT of information from Ahsoka on his father, before he turned. This could help build Luke into a better character.

Long story short, I'm trying to milk Ahsoka for 80 years ;)

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    He didn't want to kill Luke and Ahsoka is even closer to him, one of the few loved ones that are still alive. It is pretty clear what he will do: "If she could be turned, she could be an useful ally."

More likely is that Ahsoka attacks. And then he will hand her ass to her. "Foolish child. Your heroic gestures are meaningless."

I agree. It would be very interesting.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Anoyher day, another ridiculous Ahsoka fate:

In 19BBY a crack Jedi apprentice was incarcerated in a military prison for a crime she didn't commit.
    This woman promptly escaped from the maximum security stockade, into the Coruscant underground.
    There she soon met others, who had a lot in common with herself.
    Today still wanted by the empire they survive as soldiers of fortune.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them
    Maybe you can hire The Aurek Team!

*BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM*

GenOochy and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think Ahsoka cared enough about Anakin to give a rat's ass whether he turned or not, much less wait around like his mother did to see if he'd come back before she'd consider herself "complete."

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Huh, I never thought that she didn't care about Anakin. Quite the opposite, actually.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That could be some great stuff, which is why I hope she's in Rebels. Not that I have a driving, complete need to see her again but I think THAT particular story is much to good to pass on the opportunity to do so when you're playing around in that time period.

I would watch the hell outta that show. Hondo for B.A. Baracus.

Agreed, like most masters and apprentices, for good or bad, he is the closest to a father figure or at least a very close friend.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm just wondering if she dies the typical heroic gesture death protecting a few innocents like so many boring Jedi during the purge or if Filoni actually has the balls to make her go darkside. I'd be okay with heroic last stand Ahsoka if it is well done. But her going darkside and the conflicts that could arise from that would be deliciously dramatic.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would love to see her go to the Dark Side.

As far as Anakin, her final scene showed she cared far more about herself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.