main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

PT What skills were needed to survive Geonosis?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Narancia, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Narancia

Narancia Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 24, 2020
    [​IMG]

Other than proficient Shien and Soresu users like Bultar Swan, Anakin Skywalker, Mace Windu, and Kenobi.

I want to know what lead Jedi like Luminara Unduli, Agen Kolar, and Kit Fisto to survive. These Jedi specialized in forms that should've guaranteed their death. Just like it guaranteed the deaths of Coleman Trebor, and Sar Labooda.

In fact Khaat Qiyn was proficient in form V but still died.

So other than luck and plot armor(cop-out answers), what was needed to survive Geonosis?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2020
  3. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 17, 2020
  4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    There is more to any given lighstaber form than its barest description.
    I recall a scene in Star Wars Rebels where a hologram of Anakin mentions he modified the traditional Form IV technique to better deal with deflecting blaster attacks.

Another thing to keep in mind is the battle of Geonosis concluded a millenia of peace, most Jedi have never seen combat outside the sparring ring.
    The assumption then can be made that the Jedi who died were more diplomats than warriors (I believe Trebor was stated in legends to be effectively the Councils Press secretary). Those who survived have more experience with combat, you might call it luck that they have been assigned to more combative missions in the past, but the fact of the matter is they were just better prepared by their own previous experiences.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  5. Emperor Ferus

Emperor Ferus Chosen One star 7

Jul 29, 2016
    Form III Soresu specializes in deflecting blaster bolts and other types of defensive combat.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  6. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I think a jedi who was well rounded in the defensive and offensive forms would have a good chance of surviving.

Narancia likes this.
  7. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    What skills were needed? Not sure, but I'd say being good with a lightsaber and having a whole armada of clone army ships and troopers appear at just the right moment helped a little as well.:D

8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    This raises a couple interesting questions in itself.
    What of the Jedi who died right before Dooku called off the droids? How did they last so long only to fall at the last minute?
    And who might have fallen next if the clones hadn't arrived? They were clearly outnumbered and even Master Windu likely wouldn't have held out forever.
    Fascinating to consider.

9. Arcann

Arcann Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2020
    I think they would've been killed if it weren't for yoda and Dooku asking them to surrender or die and i think everybody that you listed was protecting them

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The opening post already removed the real reason as an option: luck. It is always just luck under such conditions.

If you are impossibly outnumbered, your skill is irrelevant. No amount of skill is going to save you if you are fired at from all directions at the same time. Nor is any sort of lightsaber-form doing anything about that. What you need is the luck of the fire not being entirely focused on you, someone defending the spots you can't defend, and someone bailing you out when you need to be bailed out. The survivors happened to be in the right spot at the right time to make it until the end, that's it.

Some of the world's best fighter pilots died during WW1 and WW2 due to little fault of their own, while some decidedly average pilots made it through the war unscathed. There simply comes a point where looking out for yourself just isn't enough to stay alive, regardless of how skilled your are.

11. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Being a main character.

12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The skill of ruining the OT with such a BAD MOVIE!

Real SW never had plot armor. I miss 1983...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  13. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    We just gonna pretend that the entire OT isn't dependent on stormtroopers never being able to hit any of the main characters?

14. Narancia

Narancia Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 24, 2020
    Facts!

15. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    The same skills for any fictional battle - plot armor and luck.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Lies. That's only in the Special Editions obviously.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  17. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    If Dooku hadn't stopped the battle temporarily and Yoda and Co. hadn't showed up right as the droids were about to finish off the Jedi, then you would be right. Death would be inevitable for all Jedi in the arena whether a Padawan or Master. But the slaughter was stopped before all Jedi were killed and both skill and luck would have played a part in why some Jedi survived just long enough to be rescued. Any of the top Jedi could have been hit by an unlucky blaster shot at any time, but they also probably deflected some shots here and there that some of the lesser Jedi killed in the battle could not. I don't think just any Jedi could have survived the shots Windu deflected when he fell from the balcony, for example.

So I would say skill and luck.

EMPEROR_WINDU and Iron_lord like this.
  18. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    As much as I'd like to say Mace would have survived no matter what, the fact is that all the Jedi would have been killed if Yoda and the Clones hadn't arrived. Having said that, the Jedi were expecting to battle Geonosians, not hordes of battle droids. It's mentioned in the novelization when Mace confronts Dooku in the arena. Although Obi-Wan would say that there is no such thing as luck, I think that played a huge part. Or the Will of the Force and all that jazz :p