main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun what song are you listening to? (v. 47) - Embedded Video Heavy

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by tom, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
  4. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    @Master_Lok

The Writ is one of those songs that doesn't go away.

Also, Jim McCray is a local artist who one of my bands opened for a long time ago.

Master_Lok and Dagobahsystem like this.
  5. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
  6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Y'all just posted Black Sabbath, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Guns n' Roses, Elton John and John Lennon live, and a bunch of other cool songs too!
    Thank you kindly.

Gee, you guys. I sure hope some creep didn't hack my playlists. :p

Thanks for the GnR bootleg. Crash Diet is a cool song. I always wished they'd recorded it properly. Do we know who plays the solo @Tython Awakening ? Can't be Slash or Izzy.

The AIC post reminded me of this beauty.

7. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
  8. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    And now Prince!

Ok, stop goofin' around guys.
    How'd you get my playlists? :p

9. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
  10. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
  11. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    And now The Beatles! Thank you.

@Adella7 you like Steve Perry right?
    Well, 2 can play at this game. [face_tee_hee]

And now Metallica!
    From my fave record of theirs!?!
    This is like Dags' musical Twilight Zone episode.
    @MotivateR5D4

12. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
  13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  16. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    The date the recording was made would probably give away who played on it.....The You Tube video has the lyrics. And then wiki page I found has that the song was written by Axl and West Arkeen about the fatal car crash involving Vince Neil and a member of Hanoi Rocks.

Crash Diet

SOURCE: https://gunsnroses.fandom.com/wiki/...- Guns,GNR though they recorded a demo for it.

EDIT
    COMMENTS SHARE

Add Image
    Crash Diet is a song written pre-Guns N' Roses that has never been officially released by the band. The song was originally written by Axl Rose and West Arkeen about a car accident in 1984 which involved Vince Neil and caused the death of Nicholas Dingley; the drummer of Hanoi Rocks.

Axl Rose decided not to use this song for GNR though they recorded a demo for it. Instead Arkeen was looking for other bands to record Crash Diet.

The first one had been WildSide in 1990, but Rose didn`t like that version too and so WildSide changed their plans. Instead Rose attempted to record the song with the band Asphalt Ballet and it was contained on their second album "Pigs" which came out in 1993. WildSide finally released their version in 2004 on their collection "The Wasted Years".

LYRICS on the You Tube link

Crash diet of reds'n'ludes A shot of vitamin C and a bottle of booze Too stupid to live with nothin' to lose In your one track mind now Where's that leave you? Drink'n'drive white lightning faster baby Takin' your last ride Now better be so careful or you'll be dead before you time Sorry you took mother's car now Tears in my eyes, baby please don't go You've had one too many, havin' one for the road Fresh from detox, fresh from jail Took your rehabilitation and you drove me to hell Drink'n'drive white lightning faster Takin' your last ride Better be so careful or you'll be dead before your time Sorry you took mother's car now Too soon, you thought you didn't mean it Too late for the pressure and strain Too bad for those who don't believe it Ruby street still calls your name Itchy trigger finger and the race to be alive Smokin' a cig while you drink'n'drive With no control of your life ahead You're never going to see it if you wind up dead Drink'n'drive white lightning faster Takin' your last ride Better be so careful or you'll be dead before your time Drink'n'drive white lightning baby It's always on your mind Push it to the limit baby, do it one more time Break it down Break it down Somethin's changin', somethin's breakin' You gotta be a brother, of your family Maybe one more time will make it Sweet history, Oohh If you don't care about yourself Would you please leave me alive Ooohh... You gonna You gonna drink'n'drive Oohh, Yeeaaah!

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  17. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @Tython Awakening
    Wowsers! Thank you mate.
    That's food for thought.
    I still don't get the mystery of who played that guitar solo, but I can say that Vince Neil is a no good dirty stinking rat.

Still, Nikki wrote all the songs and made a great rhythm section partner with Tommy. And Mick provided some great licks and growly rhythms for the band.

But when I think of the world's biggest pricks, aside from trump, vince comes to mind.

Still, this is a good song lol.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  18. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    My opinion is that Motley Crue brought a downward spiral to the quality of music coming from the Hollywood, CA in the 80s. The Crue glamorized all that is bad and presented it as the norm. Yes, Motley Crue traumatized my childhood. (and so did George Lucas) ;)

EDIT: Also if you look at GnR, they had their public feud with Motley Crue before their bigger feud with Nirvana. GnR's lyrics sort of came on at the tail end of that bubble where Motley Crue could glamorize all they did and present it as the norm.

19. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @Tython Awakening
    Damn. Sorry that happened man.
    We should analyze this; maybe I should send you a pm.

Let's pretend we're playing this song now:
    You are on drums.
    I'm on guitar.
    And @Master_Lok is on bass and death metal vocals. [face_tee_hee]
    Peace and love y'all.
    [:D]

Master_Lok and Tython Awakening like this.
  20. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I might be prone towards feeling traumatized. Just the ability to say or write it to someone makes the hurt better. Thanks for listening to people when they express their pain.

Axl's voice just soars on that song, Crash Diet. And that Crash Diet recording has the beginnings of such an awesome rhythm section interplay. I just assume it was Adler, Duff, Izzy, and Slash. But maybe it was recorded when they weren't together?

I can hear trademarks of the rhythm section when Steven Adler occupied the drum chair. The hi-hat openings sound like Steven Adler. The guitar riffs sound like Izzy and Slash playing together. I hear Steven Adler's dynamics on Crash Diet.

Master_Lok and Dagobahsystem like this.
  21. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @Tython Awakening
    Definitely always express yourself.
    I'm with you on the whole express your pain deal. People need to talk now more than ever. I'm always here for you mate.

And agreed that the overall Crash Diet track sounds like GnR with Steven and everyone. Adler was a great drummer. DRL got the best of him sadly. The band was never the same after he and Izzy were gone. Steven's drumming and Izzy's writing and rhythms on Appetite are essential.
    Without them, there would be no GnR as the world knows them.

Especially Izzy Stradlin. He wrote half the bloody riffs on Appetite. I hope they paid him for that...

Now, Crash Diet for that one guitar solo. The use of constant sixteenth notes, tremolo bar, and even tapping a la Van Halen makes me feel it can't be Izzy or Slash.

Izzy Stradlin isn't that technical, no way, no how. He is a songwriter, rhythm guitarist, singer, and occasional lead guitarist in GnR.

I tried to think of any Slash solo that remotely sounded like the one in Crash Diet. But it seems to me Slash always had to inflect his phrases with blues lines, even when he was shredding. That Crash Diet solo seems so out of character for him.

In fact, I refuse to believe that Slash played the solo on that demo.
    I've studied his playing.
    Might as well say B.B. King played that solo, lol.
    I'd love to be proven wrong.

Closest thing I could think of that Slash played that reminds of that Crash Diet solo is here in Reckless Life. Starts at the 2:00 minute mark.
    But it's still bluesy, even though he uses the tremolo arm and shreds.

Your thoughts?

Master_Lok and Tython Awakening like this.
  22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Flattered though I am, No way would I insult Geddy Lee with my faded death growls and air bass...

Speaking of Geddy and death metal, here is a fun fact: Bolt Thrower bassist Jo Bench once ranked higher than Geddy on some readers poll. She immediately said “That’s bullstuff...” For me, she remains my favorite extreme/death metal bassist for her tone and fills.

and speaking of Jo...

Regarding Crue and GnR, never liked GnR. Liked Crue/Nikki through album #2. I saw MC open for Ozzy in 1984 (Not sure why I went, but this was before I saw Slayer, and Celtic Frost released Morbid Tales).

Anyway, Jake E. Lee aside, Crue blew Ozzy out of the water. Ozzy’s stage presence and voice were garbage.

23. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    So, Master Lok is out of the band then.
    Edit: she edited her post so...
    (she lied on her resume) :p
    I thought you played bass lol.

Well, in that case, I'll be moving to Austria and working the coffee house circuit there in the outback.[face_mischief]

Oof, I meant Australia.
    Yes, I know Mozart was born there.
    [face_tee_hee]

Edit: @Master_Lok you don't like GnR and you thought Vince Neil sang better than Ozzy?
    Are you feeling ok?:p

Tython Awakening and Master_Lok like this.
  24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I tried to play bass many times, but my arthritis got in the way. So honorable discharge, no lies here. Thanks for thinking of me though.

Never said anything about Vince: re:eek:zzy/Crue show. And when you’re as doped up as they all clearly were, vocals no longer matter. So seeing Ozzy sleepwalking across the stage and all was a huge letdown.

Then again, seeing Ronnie James Dio with Sabbath several years later upped the ante significantly.

Vince is awful. I think Ozzy’s voice never recovered post Sabotage (1975), but that’s me.