main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What the Heart Hides. Obi, Ani, Siri - drama, humor, comfort. Complete as of 090208.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Valairy Scot, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    nice update! i loved obi-wan's slow realization of his predicament. can't wait to see how you update this.

2. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    What about a nice update, Valairy?o_O
    I´m anxious for more reading!:)

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Nimloth: I love lurkers who come out of lurkdom! This one is absolutely wonderful and heartwrenching and I´m loving every word of it. ? Thanks, in some ways, I think the second part is the best part.

Gkilkenny: Funny you mentioned that ?prison description? because I have actually avoided describing it so far, because I contradict myself and haven?t resolved that issue yet. We?ll find out the ?atmosphere? is not all Ventress.

Fifilla
    : Perhaps the clones are not all the same, they rather show individuality! I?m far from an expert on clones and the clone wars, but my understanding is that the ARC Troopers are more ?individuals? than the ?regular clones? and that?s the basis for my characterization.

J_RO: the worse it gets, the more Obi-Wan will try to hang on to his sense of humor, at least until it?s beaten out of him. (oh, oh, reveal?)

JediMasterJessica: I?ve set up the torture arc, now Ventress returns to wreck her evil on our heroes.

VaderLVR64: You know how to make an author beam! Since you know the Jabiim arc, you know the reason (at least partially) why Ventress is what she is ? not an excuse, as such, but certainly an explanation. I?d love to go into the sequel of Obi tracking her down, but if I do, that?ll have to be a sequel, since this story was supposed to be a Siriwan and I want to keep that emphasis.

Dianethx: Oh, I admit I can write ? it?s the story/plotting that I?m weak at. I'm always envious of your obvious skill at painting a scene and making me feel the emotions of the characters. I very much look forward to every chapter. ? Thanks, I love exploring the inner self of the characters and how it affects their actions.

This chapter was no different. I loved the buildup of the way Obi-Wan was becoming more aware of the situation and yet they were still trapped in that hellhole of Ventress's. Loved the last sentence! - Funny how my last minute additions often turn out the best ? inspired by tiredness, I guess.

Veloz: Yeah, humor in torture?that?s our Obi-Wan. He?ll do his best to maintain it, but the point will come?well, let?s say he?s one unhappy Jedi who fears he might be heading for the darkside of the Force. It isn?t easy to forgive someone who tortures you, and worse, others.

Earlybird-Obi-Wan: The author is thinking ?concentration camps? when painting the atmosphere, and yes, I?ve been to one (Dachau).

Noelie: I would be tempted to call Alpha Ventress' pet she is treating him so well, at least in comparison to Obi-Wan. ? Oh, o_O ? well, she doesn?t hate him. She hates Obi-Wan. If are not familiar with the comics, you probably don?t know why and you?ll find out. She?s really mean to those she hates.

I hope that someone gets a clue soon. Too must Obi-torture is not a nice thing to contemplate. ? No, I agree, but as I keep saying, the torture is not the point, the dehumanizing effects of it are.

General_Kenobi_66: Really great to read this, for the descriptions of the more tortureous scenes are not in such detail-- more vague. That totally works for me. Me, too, I hate to think of what one could actually do to another person?and afraid what it would reveal about me if I could come up with some truly horrific things. So I won?t go there.

Barriss31: never knew that in the canon stories Obi was captured by Ventress. Still though, it makes his character much more genuine and believable because he has been literally "through hell". Some of the most endearing facets of characters that become almost real are the fact that life has dealt them a really hard blow and they have survived and become stronger for it. ? I agree, and that?s why the comics fall a bit short ? they can?t get into character exploration. Truly, in the comics, Obi-Wan is truly fine, back to himself once he?s reunited with Anakin, though later on he gets obsessed with finding Ventress. Well, I?m sorry, I don?t think even a Je

4. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    [face_dancing] Yeah, an update! :)

I loved the banter between Obi-Wan and Alpha - very nice! =D=
    And a cute flashback to Obi-Wan's youth.

Great chapter!
    ... but I have a bad feeling of ?what might come? [face_worried]

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the fake rules. That Obi-Wan was teasing Anakin about them and the kid didn't realize it is hilarious and incredibly sad, all at the same time.

I liked that Alpha was sort-of joking right back at him. Certainly made the conversation much more lively. As for the clothing, I would imagine it would be smelly and uncomfortable. Plus how did they go to the bathroom if they couldn't get their clothes off and their hands were tied? Ewww.

Loved the little backstory as well. Obi-Wan was so adorable.

Looking forward to more even though I can imagine what will come. Great job so far!

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    A great update, but I expect NO less! :p

?Is there no exception for circumstances??

?Alpha ? you do have a sense of humor. I suspected as much.?

?Close association with you, General. It was inevitable.?

?My padawan fails to understand my humor even after years of close association,? Obi-Wan noted, allowing a note of sadness into his inflection. ?I have been known to totally throw Anakin by reciting some obscure piece of Jedi ?rules? at him. I have half-convinced him that this rulebook truly exists, yet he swears I have no sense of humor. I promised I would give him a copy at his knighting.?

?Which section covers the requirement that a Jedi is to attempt to divert attention away from unpleasantness by joking when in danger?

?Which section covers ? what?? Obi-Wan was taken by surprise, then he suddenly chuckled. ?Oh, that is Section One, I believe. A Jedi shall be solemn and attentive to duty at all times. A Jedi does not publicly display open joy, fear or mirth. A sense of humor is allowed only if kept concealed or when in captivity for the sole purpose of keeping one?s spirits up. A Jedi never loves or hates, remains courteous at all times, and is never an aggressor in a fight.?

?Ah, I see. So what is the penalty for being inappropriately attired, sir??

?Subsection 12 Exception One does grant a Jedi permission to disregard personal grooming in a hazardous or hostile situation, so I believe no penalty will apply. Of course, as a Council member, I can override any of the rules when deemed necessary.?

?Quite reasonable,? Alpha agreed.

I've always LOVED Obi-Wan's sense of humor! [face_love] And your portrayal of him is spot on. As always!

=D=

7. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Obi-Wan is trying to keep calm I think he is worried about
    What is to come.[face_worried]

At least he as Alpha to talk too.o_O

There would be nothing worse that waiting to be tortured on your own.

Great update.:cool:

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    yes, a great update again and I am glad he has an Arc trooper to help him

9. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Yay an update [face_dancing]

I loved how u wrote the interaction between Obi and Alpha... it's great to see Obi's sense of humor show, even in the most dangerous circumstances :D

Wonderful chapter... i'm afraid to think what comes next [face_worried]

Tnx a lot for the pm :D [face_peace]

10. ObiWans_Gurl86

ObiWans_Gurl86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2006
    =D= YAY!! wonderful update, I am so happy Obiwan and Alpha are tryign to be positive even tough the "what to come" may not be very good at all. extremley godo chapter I love this story so much!!! I can't wait for another update. [face_dancing]

11. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    As Qui-Gon Jinn would always say, focus on the here and now, and the pain of the past was just that ? the past.

I wise man, Qui-Gon Jinn was :)

?My padawan fails to understand my humor even after years of close association,? Obi-Wan noted, allowing a note of sadness into his inflection. ?I have been known to totally throw Anakin by reciting some obscure piece of Jedi ?rules? at him. I have half-convinced him that this rulebook truly exists,

Well I really don?t blame Anakin whatsoever. Not only because Obi-Wan is obsessively meticulous about the rules but also ?cause well?Obi-Wan?s sense of humor can be really hard to understand a lot of times. I hate it when people sdo that ?cause I?m always unsure if it?s safe to take it as a joke just in case they?rebeing serious.

?Obi-Wan?? Qui-Gon had questioned, then seemed to realize. ?Padawan, I am sorry. I never meant to worry you. I should have thought to tell you before I left.?

You?re so naughty Qui[face_shame_on_you]

?I wasn?t?,? great, now he was both lying to his master, and as good as telling him he didn?t miss him. ?I was?I didn?t?? He flushed.

See Obi-Wan? This is what happens when you try too hard to be the ?perfect? Jedi.

?What was to come,? came not long after.

*waits in gleeful anticipation that she realizes is nether nice nor very befitting of a Jedi*

:p

Great update=D=

12. barriss31

barriss31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I can't tell you how nice it was to discover an update was up today especially with the day I've had. Not exactly being locked in a dungeon awaiting torture but enough to give it some competition.

I love Obi's sense of humor, the dry wit. Alpha is a kind of morbid comic relief. Not that your writing is morbid more so the emotionlessness of the clones. Anyway, I will make this short as I am not as eloquent today as I could be.

Glad to see the update and please keep it coming. I can't wait for Siri to get back inot the action! :) :)

13. Jaded_Rose

Jaded_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2006
    I like the set -up for the next events, and Alpha is such a good companion for Obi-Wan, whether he realizes it or not!

J_Ro

14. Nimloth

Mar 10, 2007
    Hey, Valairy, actually it was a very nice update!;) :)
    It´s a very Obi-Wan´s trait being so selfless and spending these anguishing hours trying to entertain Alpha with ligth conversation and jokes...
    And Alpha is showing an endearing personality, it makes me difficult now to imagine he or his brothers acting on order 66!

Nim

15. Ascal_Elessar

Ascal_Elessar Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    ?What was to come,? came not long after.

Whatever it is, it cant be good. Great post, looking forward to more.

16. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I adored the banter between Alpha and Obi-Wan. The idea that Obi-Wan has made similar jokes with Anakin is incredibly sad. I'm glad that Alpha and Obi-Wan were able to share that kind of camaraderie--it was an engrossing conversation to overhear and I giggled quite a few times. [face_blush] Not exactly what I expected to do in this story, so I feel a tad guilty about it, but it was great. And yes... what is to come... oh dear.

Much =D=, VS--that was a wonderfully entertaining, spot-on-Obi-Wan post before what I'm sure will be very frightening. I adored it.

17. erikawr05

erikawr05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2006
    Great post=D= , cant wait for more.
    could you add me to the PM list?

18. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I foresaw that possibility of your death and wished to forestall it. I do not wish to see you die, general, if I can in any way prevent it. Flattening you into the mud was far preferable to seeing you in the midst of an explosion. Really sir, you take too many risks. That?s what we clones are for.?

?You know my feelings on that.?

?Sir.?

I liked the loyalty Ob-Wan inspires in those under his command. How is Siri and Anakin doing?

19. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I am so sorry, I have had some frustrating problems with my lap top this week, but i finally have managed to do somethings that took less than an hour a piece!

I had often wondered about how distance would do to a bond like the Jedi share, and if you don't expect silence, how upsetting that could be.

And someone else asked a good question.. what of Anakin and Siri?

But more of that, per your last line... what came next???????????:confused:

Thanks for the PM!

Edit: (just ignore my goofy mistakes. I am yelling more at my laptop than paying the attention you deserve, I apologize[face_praying])

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Fifilla ... but I have a bad feeling of ?what might come? ? you?re right.

Dianethx: Loved the fake rules. Good-cuz that was the hangup for me on this chapter ? not so much ?the rules? as being funny before torture. I mean, I go from banter to pain to angst to romance to comedy?what a mix. Loved the little backstory as well. Obi-Wan was so adorable. I just can?t help the backstory and flashbacks and I have a lot more, some longer.

VaderLVR64: I've always LOVED Obi-Wan's sense of humor! Me, too!

Gkilkenny: There would be nothing worse that waiting to be tortured on your own. I?m sure even a Jedi dreads it, though it never seems ?real? in many stories because they bounce back so easily. I need to make this bad and very real, very painful, so it doesn?t ring false later on when Obi-Wan has to deal with it. That?s my fine line ? too little torture, the repercussions will seem excessive. Too much torture, I lose the Siriwan focus and possibly go against forum guidelines. It won?t be major angst, but it will cause flashbacks and repercussions.

Earlybird-obi-wan: Unfortunately, Alpha will be a minor part for a while (I?m following ?canon? in this, and there?s only so much Alpha I can work in that doesn't repeat a lot of Obi-Wan?s experiences. Canon says they?re separated, so they?ll be separated.)

Veloz: it's great to see Obi's sense of humor show, even in the most dangerous circumstances. That?s the best time, isn?t it? Chin up, put on a happy face, etc.

ObiWans_gurl86: what to come" may not be very good at all. How?d you guess?

Alley: Well I really don?t blame Anakin whatsoever. Not only because Obi-Wan is obsessively meticulous about the rules but also ?cause well?Obi-Wan?s sense of humor can be really hard to understand a lot of times. I hate it when people sdo that ?cause I?m always unsure if it?s safe to take it as a joke just in case they?rebeing serious. ? Ah, one reason you like Anakin and I like Obi-Wan. I share Obi-Wan?s sense of humor, though I do venture into silliness and extreme puns which he doesn?t. I know what you mean about not always knowing the difference between a joke or not ? I?ve been misunderstood (chewed out for being nasty or uncaring, mainly) and I?ve often not been sure how to take my boss at times, too.

Barriss31
    : Aw, hope life is going better for you. I love Obi's sense of humor, the dry wit. Alpha is a kind of morbid comic relief. Not that your writing is morbid more so the emotionlessness of the clones. Clone ?humor? is quite dry; hard to write.

J_Ro: Yeah, the two make quite a pair don?t they ? but not for long (for those unfamiliar with the story, I?m killing off several, er, good guys, who die in ?canon? and killing one secondary character whose fate was not addressed in ?canon?).

Don?t worry: we?ll get more Obi-Ani battering and bantering later on, then Obi-Siri stuff?the last third is quite different in tone from what precedes it, by and large (as of this date).

Nimloth: A clone ? endearing? That?s a first. It just shows they have a spark of personality, I guess.

Ascal_Elessar: I guess I can?t put it off any longer?it?s time to dip into the torture. Be prepared?this is just the beginning.

Luna: I adored the banter between Alpha and Obi-Wan. The idea that Obi-Wan has made similar jokes with Anakin is incredibly sad. I'm glad that Alpha and Obi-Wan were able to share that kind of camaraderie--it was an engrossing conversation to overhear and I giggled quite a few times. Not exactly what I expected to do in this story, so I feel a tad guilty about it, but it was great. ? now you know why I wonder how disconcerting the second part will be - from pain and angst to romance and (a touch of) comedy

Erikawr05: added to the PM list, thanks.

ObsessedwithSW: I liked the loyalty Ob-Wan inspires in those under his command. ? true. Ma

21. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Obi-Wan uses his humour as a self defence mechanism.

I love your descriptions of their war of words.
    It is a shame Obi-Wan doesn't have the force he would show her a trick or twoo_O [face_laugh]

Excellent update.=D=

22. Nimloth

Mar 10, 2007
    What a thrilling and satisfyingly long chapter (well, I really have never enough, but?) :)

Very interesting the Asajj´s questioning of Obi´s ethics about war.

Who was Ventress to argue morality with him? Yet her questions were some of the same ones he had asked himself, debated with fellow Jedi, grieved about in the quiet hours of the night.

She is trying to taunt him, but she touches there a tender point, obviously an unresolved dilemma for the jedi, teared between their pacifism and the loyalty to the republic.

And this continues being an anguishing waiting for the very bad things that Asajj is preparing ![face_worried]

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I think that was my favorite chapter of this story! And that's saying a lot! :D

?I really hate that I was forced to restrain you by such means. We should be on the same side, Kenobi. It?s such a shame that you have chosen to give your allegiance to the side that oppresses innocent people.?

Restraining his urge to roll his eyes ? what, did she think she was talking to someone naïve, the Jedi only snorted. ?What?s your game, Asajj?? As he spoke, he reached out, hoping the Force was again at his command, but he still felt blocked. That eliminated the Force shielded manacles as the problem.

He managed to hide his frown, but did pick up on a small flicker of amusement in Asajj?s manner; she was aware of his probe through the Force. She was obviously strong and skilled in the Force; perhaps as skilled as he or Anakin, but she was in better health than he and that gave her an advantage. Her strength was stronger than his at the moment. For the time being he would play along; he had little choice.

?My allegiance is to the Force and is not up for barter.?

?The Force plays politics? You know, Obi-Wan, this war is only being fought to protect the interests of the politicians ? not the sentients who make up the Republic citizenry or even many of the member planets.?

There was no doubt that she knew or at least suspected some of his doubts about Jedi involvement in political matters. His prior history with the Jedi and the Senate, the endless dissection of the war and its leaders in the Holonet saw to that. The information was not highly accurate, but enough so.

?There is far more at stake than political survival.?

?The system is corrupt and does not serve the citizens. It has failed its citizens. You uphold a morally bankrupt system that does not work.?

Who was Ventress to argue morality with him? Yet her questions were some of the same ones he had asked himself, debated with fellow Jedi, grieved about in the quiet hours of the night.

?I?m enough of a realist to know no system of government is perfect, and the Separatists have no claim to superiority. What about the worlds they?ve invaded, enslaved and ruined?? He raised an eyebrow at her; he couldn?t restrain himself. He had helped free several planets from the yoke of the Separatists; he knew the lasting damage they left behind. Some planets would take years to rebuild; some of those planets? victims would take years to rebuild their lives.

Obi-Wan had no illusions about the effect of war, or its aftereffects. Long after the fighting was over, the armies decommissioned and the battlefields that had once been drenched in blood slowly become overgrown or built over, the effects would continue to be felt for years. Rebuilding always took longer than destruction.

Yes, I know I quoted a large passage, but this whole thing was just so... so Obi-Wan! I loved it. Perfection. =D=

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Having watched Band of Brothers this weekend (the last 4 parts) and now this. Your description of Assajj and Obi-Wan is perfect.

Great update and enjoy your hiking trip.

25. ObiWans_Gurl86

ObiWans_Gurl86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2006
    =D= This was a nice LOOONNNGGG Chapter, and a very godo one at that.

wow Obiwan and Alpha are so strong and cool to say the least, I would be crying by now pleading to be killed or just set free lol.

I wonder how this battle will insue, it shall be intersting no doubt abotu that. Good Job Can't wait for the next post, have fun on Vacation [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.