main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 What to do outside Celebration

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Jan 17, 2019.

1. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    It'll take a lot longer than 15 minutes to get from McCormick to inside Wrigley.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Oh my word no.

3. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, Google Maps says 30 minutes and I'm sure that's not accounting for game day traffic.

4. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Are you saying Google Maps LIED to me cubby?!

5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm saying last time I drove myself to a Cubs game on a Saturday afternoon it took me an hour and half to get from where McCromick place is to where Wrigley Field is and unless you park about a half hour away from the ballpark it can easily take you half an hour or more just to get out of your parking space. Oh and it's opening weekend at Wrigley so unless the weather is horrid it's going to be a zoo....though things have improved recently and I've only taken the train and the "L" the last several years when I go.

I'd recommend taking the "L" to Wrigley to anyone going if you're able to, once you get on the Red Line it literally drops you off at the ballpark and it's much easier than driving or getting a cab.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    That's about what I figured.

7. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I rather take the L Train by my hotel....[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LloydChristmas and cubman987 like this.
  8. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh as a NYC dude I'm using and abusing Lyft during Celebration, no parking here lol

But looks like the Red Line is the way to gooooo

9. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    It is, it will be crowded but it's so much easier and cheaper than driving.

Also should mention if the weather is nice and anyone is going with a sizable group and are sitting in the bleachers they are first come first serve so you'll want to line up pretty early.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  10. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Use the L Train. Be cheaper than parking...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The game might also go longer than you think if it goes to extra innings. (In my teens I went to a Yankees double header. First game went 18 innings and we still had another game to go. Got my money's worth with that trip.)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    LloydChristmas likes this.
  12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Yes, I'm counting on missing a day of Celebration for the game, but it will be a SW experience anyway and with a 5 day convention I think I will get my share of what I want to do anyway.

Skickat från min SM-A520F via Tapatalk

LloydChristmas and Padme501st like this.
  13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    It can also go longer if Maddon keeps using position players as pitchers this year. :p

They're using a pitch clock for spring training games. It remains to be seen if it will carry over to the regular season, but that would likely help shave around 10 minutes off average game time this year. There's also talk of a three batter minimum for pitchers (or finishing an inning), but I don't think that will go in effect this year.

14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Extra inning games aren't rare, but they don't happen frequently enough that you should expect it any time you go to a game either. And when they do, they usually only go another inning or two. It would definitely stand out around the league for a game to go more than that. That's funny though that your first experience at a ballgame went like that, leaving you with that impression of them.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Wasn't my first experience - I lived close enough to NYC at the time to go to one or two games a year. (Even managed a World Series game thanks to a local bus tour company that had - expensive - tickets.) And at that time the games were on free TV - WPIX in New York.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I've always wanted to be at one of those 15+ inning games though. I'm never one of those people who leaves early, I was raised on the principle of staying until the end no matter what. So that would be cool. But those are indeed rare, only a handful of them happen every season. So it's definitely an experience for people who have been to one

17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I think 14 innings is the longest I've been to personally and I've been to hundreds of games. Extra innings tend to go 10 or 11, but it seems like when you get beyond that hitters seem to get into a funk (probably trying too hard to hit a homer to end it) and they can drag for a while.

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That happens for a few innings, and most of the time one team is successful. But then it's funny if it drags on longer, because both teams will noticeably decrease their level of effort so that the other team can win, especially if it's a game that means absolutely nothing. It always makes me think of that South Park episode where they do that because they don't want to keep advancing in the little league championships.

star_wars_is_good likes this.
  19. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I'm not into baseball, but it's refreshing to see fellow fans wanting to enjoy another venue at Cele. time, Hope everyone will enjoy themselves!

LloydChristmas and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  20. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Stayed up for all of Game 3 of the WS this year, that 18-inning marathon. I can imagine that happening at Wrigley and then just stumbling dreary-eyed back to McCormick for an overnight line lol

Padme501st likes this.
  21. Ms_Elizabeth_Darthee

Ms_Elizabeth_Darthee Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2019
    Things to do around Millennium Park: there's Cloud Gate, aka "The Bean". In the same vicinity is the Crown Fountain, a reflecting pool. They're both great for photoshoots.

Across the street on Michigan Avenue is the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel which houses 5 different bars: the Game Room, Milk Room, Drawing Room, Cherry Circle Room, and Cindy's Rooftop Bar.

I've been to the Game Room a couple of times in the past because my teenage son dragged me to go hunting for Pokémon at Cloud Gate. After hunting for pokemon, we'd go across the street and have some light food at the game room. As a reward for chaperoning I'd have myself a couple of drinks :).

The whole place looks like it's from the Prohibition. In fact, the Milk Room was used by members during that time.

22. GAThrawn1234

GAThrawn1234 Jedi Master

Mar 12, 2002
    The White Sox are doing a special Star Wars Celebration on Monday, April 15. This day is in addition to their Star Wars day on 5.4. The Monday night Celebration tie in game includes a Chewie bobblehead if you purchase you're ticket through the specialty ticket link below.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/tickets/specials/themes

23. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    My parents are going to the 1:20 Cubs game on Friday. They asked me if there would be anything going on at Celebration around that time and if I would want to go to the game...:rolleyes:

24. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    A movie tour of Chicago was just recommended to me, it includes lot of Dark Knight locations. I doubt I'll go as I won't have much free time outside Celebration, but this may be of interest to other folks here.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  25. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    If it was available on weekdays I would totally have done that either before or after Celebration, but I'm not going to miss a day of SWCC for it.