main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I really like the first half of Airplane II but it loses its steam for me in the second half. Obviously not a classic like the first film but I still think it's worth watching.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    My favorite part with the bomb had to be in the beginning when he's picking it out from a bunch of them at an airport shop lol. My guess is it was attempting to make fun of the lack of security at terminals back then; considering all the hijackings that went on in the 70s.

PCCViking likes this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    One of my favorite parts is when one of the co-pilots is battling the fire and he's passing some barrels that read: Dynamite, explosive, brilliant, a must see! :p

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I think Naked Gun 33 1/3 might've borrowed that take when Frank opens up the envelope on the Oscar Stage and shouts out, "IT'S THE BOMB!"......and you see the cast and crew of one of the nominated movies come up to accept the award [face_rofl]

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I missed the beginning - was watching Milo Murphy.

Edit - credits are rolling now. Time to find something else. Silliness itch scratched.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe I caught Airplane II on cable years before I ever saw the original. I think there are a lot of inferior sequels one can enjoy a lot more when they're first watched out of order like that. Caddyshack II is another.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    First Man (2018)
    I was enthralled. The opening scene in the X-15 grabbed me and I was hooked. The rendezvous with the Agena and what came of it was another highlight. And the ground test with the crew in Apollo 1, I knew where it was going as soon as they mentioned it, and the tension of waiting for it to happen was gut-wrenching.

As for the human interest family stuff, I found it believable, but not all that interesting. It was the rockets and gee-whiz 60's tech and NASA people that made the movie work for me.

Also, I have to say I totally identified with Neil. All through the film, I was thinking, yeah, that's what I would have said, that's how I would have done that, that's how I would react.

8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "Phantom of the Opera" with Lon Chaney. I saw it at Union County Performing Arts Center (which celebrates its 90th birthday today), with live organ accompaniment by Bernie Anderson on a old-style, non-electronic Wurlitzer. They even had a cartoon: the silent, surreal Felix the Cat movie "Woos Whoopie". Great stuff.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

[​IMG]

A Quiet Place
    (2018) – John Krasinski

A Quiet Place has a premise to die for. It’s the story of a family isolated in the wilderness trying to survive while being hunted by creatures who navigate by sound. Thus, their life is a life of enforced silence. It’s the stuff of a taut, gripping thriller; it already kind of has been actually if you remember a little movie called Don’t Breathe. Krasinski does a good job as director, building tension through silence; the film opens with a lengthy prologue that is deathly quiet and at one point an audience member down the row from me took a drink and I literally heard the ice rattle in his glass; in a movie theater these days that kind of quiet is astounding. The cast is very good. Emily Blunt is predictably terrific and Millicent Simmonds is very good as the hearing impaired daughter. Krasinski is mostly good, but he fumbles a couple of significant moments, unfortunately one of them is in the climax of the film, so that’s not really good. But then he is directing himself, so, you know. The film deserves a lot of praise for going in some unexpected directions. The film has the nerve to break one of the fundamental rules of blockbuster filmmaking in its very first sequence and right the **** in front of you, right in the foreground of the camera frame. This gives the rest of the film a more unnerving feeling since, while you can make your guesses and probably be right, you can never be quite sure what the filmmakers are going to be willing to do next. Still, though it has flaws, it’s still a really masterful achievement; with a tiny cast and a small setting, it still manages to build a compelling world and maintain interest, which is also due, I think, to its restrained running time. Some people would have bulked this up to two-and-a-half hours in order to feel suitably epic, but Krasinski recognizes the power of a simple premise simply told and it’s just right at ninety minutes. It’s a load of fun and, for a blockbuster that wants to be a load of fun, it’s also surprisingly risky and smart. 4 stars.

tl;dr – great premise simply & briskly explored; it has its flaws, but not that many, and the pleasures are too numerous to count. 4 stars.

10. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Rewatched Mothra for the second time in a week, since the DVD came in the mail yesterday. This time in Japanese, which I preferred to the tv version dubbed in English.
    I like the movie a lot, but I was bummed at the sub par DVD presentation of the film, as it was somehow worse than what I saw on tele.
    The colors were very dull and lifeless, some shots with the ship at the beginning were almost completely black, and when Mothra is building the cocoon, it was hard to even see the strands for the most part. Just a few examples. It took away from my enjoyment quite a lot, although hearing the Japanese and reading the subtitles was a big improvement over whatever it was they did in the English tele version.

I wish I had bought a Japanese blu ray of Mothra, but my player isn't compatible.
    I'm not even sure about the quality of the other two Toho films packaged with what I bought; but I guess I shouldn't complain for spending $10 for the set, although the three films are annoyingly seated one on top of the other in the jewel case, and as it was used, there was an old price sticker defacing the cover and oddly, nasty scotch tape sealing the DVD case shut that I had to pry off just to open it.
    Never know what to expect from Amazon I reckon. Still, I like Mothra a lot, so it's better than having no 1961 Mothra.

This film must not be well liked in the USA, for why else would we not be able to get a blu ray with even a couple special features at this point?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    @Dagobahsystem [:D] Mothra might eventually make it on blu ray here. Several obscure Italian horror films/giallos I love are finally gearing up for blu ray next year. I've owned some of them on dvd for almost 20 years now. Hope you don't have to wait that long.

Star Wars (1977) - wow. The death star trench sequence is still my most favorite SW moment. I love how worn the ships look and the fights etc. are still so darn cool. I remember being so scared for Luke when I saw this in the theatre. The movie as a whole is just so much fun, yet if you want something deeper than fun, you'll get it. I would happily pay $50 for blu ray version I saw in theaters that summer in 1977.

Okay, so I own the 1997 version digitally. I do not approve of the changes/additions, but that does not diminish my love for this movie, Luke or the universe.

Ultimately, I saw this 13x theatrically over a four year period between 77 and 81. Such a blast(er).

I think it took seeing The Last Jedi to make me realize It doesn't matter what Disney does to these characters and universe, I still have this movie which for me was a defining moment as a little girl. Watching this, I know little me is still inside, and pops out during certain scenes. And the Force will be with her, always. :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  12. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Dick Barton: Special Agent. Early Hammer film based on a BBC radio series from the 40's. The plot, which sees Barton going to a seaside town to Nazi spies from releasing a deadly virus, is totally ludicrous and most of the acting is over the top, but it's harmless fun.

13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Evil of Dracula(1975)

“We also offer prayers for the body’s revival.”

This Japanese movie wastes no time getting into its vampire lore.

Psychology Professor Mr. Shiraki (perhaps the de facto Jonathan Harker), travels to a distant school in modern Japan to join its staff. The psych professor learns from the principal that the school official’s wife died two days prior. In the reverential Japanese way, Shiraki wishes to pay his respects at her grave.

This would be fine except there’s no grave: instead the deceased is kept in a coffin in the school cellar for seven days (Dun-Dun-Duuuuunnnnnn!) “It’s an old local custom,” the principal says, while cheekily admitting “We also offer prayers for the body’s revival. “ Erm, if I was Shiraki, hearing that would inspire me to make like a banana and split. Our principal is more than he seems (Of corpse! Of corpse!)

Then the new arrival is told he was hired to take over as principal of the school. News to him!

Naturally, Shiraki-San falls for these rather unusual excuses and the instant job promotion.

Intermission:

This is the kind of Captain Obvious horror that is always fun because it gets silly and so on the nose rather quickly.

For me, it is always a blast to occasionally watch a horror film so self aware, it doesn’t care if you chuckle for most of the screen time. That ridiculousness extends into this review.

End Intermission...Carry on Evil of Dracula!

Soon Shiraki-San meets vampire brides including the dead Mrs. principal and thinks he’s dreaming (Not) which prompts him to check her coffin. His boss is not amused.

We finally see some more living people on campus including a few lovely ladies. One of them makes a crack about the Renfirld character’s creepy stare. More professors pop up, like a vampire-lore collecting fellow.

And then stuff hits the fan.

There’s a lot more skin than even the Hammer horrors (but the Japanese like their sexploitation), still you cannot take any of this remotely serious especially when a vampire co-ed asks Mr. Shiraki if he’d marry her. Yeah, that’s seduction alright!

Things that stood out: In the police station, everyone is dressed in brown or beige (and the walls are beige), the aforementioned hilariously obvious dialog between our hero and the blood sucking principal, how unconvincing every vampire is, and the neat time lapse of daylight fading fast.

I suppose I’d compare this Hammer if they made goofy horrors with lots of cleavage...(Hammer made semi serious horrors with lots of cleavage, but I digress.)

It seems like every country that produced 70s genre movies experimented and pushed the envelope, Japan made far more risqué movies than this, but they also know when to wink at the audience too.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Siege of Jadotville (2016)
    Based on the true story of a company of UN peacekeepers from Ireland who were attacked in the Congo in 1961 and hung out to dry by their politicians. Lots of realistic combat scenes and period military equipment along with believable characters as young soldiers.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Master_Lok like this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Rumble in the Bronx (1995)

More like Rumble in Vancouver, amirite? But even when it's not hilariously obvious that this wasn't filmed in New York (even the recurring establishing shots use Lower Manhattan rather than the actual Bronx), it's still hilarious and fun. Jackie Chan does what he's best at- always getting into fights and using anything and everything around him in those fights to his advantage.

The plot gets lighter and lighter as the film goes on, but it hardly matters as everyone's clearly having a blast the more ridiculous things get. All you need is Jackie as the good guy versus some incredibly exaggerated bad guys; the connecting details are completely secondary. I mean, you know they're doing it right when the climax involves a hostage situation on a freaking hoverboat, leaving heaps of destruction in its wake, forcing Jackie to use a giant ass sword to stop the hoverboat.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nothing says New York City like the mountain backdrop to the urban landscape.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Two words: duct tape.

Master_Lok likes this.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

The Sisters Brothers
    (2018) – Jacques Audiard

In this off-beat Western, Joaquin Phoenix and John C. Reilly play a pair of squabbling brothers/bounty hunters. Their latest assignment is to track down a prospector played by Riz Ahmed who has perfect a new method of mining. Their on-again/off-again partner Morris, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, is either an ally or an enemy depending on the time of day. The movie is off-beat and strange, but not as strange as the press it’s been getting would indicate. Yes, it has a rather bizarre sense of humor at times and it’s paced at arthouse speed, by which I mean slow, but it’s a Western for sure, with plenty of gun battles to go around. The film opens with a bravura slow zoom in on a gunfight taking place in pitch black and it’s a gorgeous shot. The rest of the film is less overtly directed, but it ends with a surprising one-take shot that is mainly surprising because it actually is just one take, even though it seems like it would be edited together. The performances are quite good. Reilly’s production company optioned the novel the movie is based on and you can tell it’s something of a passion project for him; it’s his best dramatic performance to date, I think, or at least right up there. Riz Ahmed once again proves his acting chops by turning in another “wait, that’s the same guy?” performance. For a guy with a somewhat unique look, he’s incredibly chameleonic. Phoenix is good as the wild-card of the brothers, though he isn’t asked to do any particular heavy lifting. Neither is Gyllenhaal which might explain why feels a character named “John Morris” needs to have some sort of intrusive, incredibly inconsistent accent. Actors, amirite? Anyway, if you can tell what the hell he thinks he’s doing, you’re doing better than me. Allison Tolman, who you might remember from Fargo’s first season, has a really wonderful cameo, essentially a one scene appearance; it starts hilariously funny and ends up surprisingly sad, but then that’s where this movie is a lot of the time. Still, though the film does feel kind of like a trifle at times and could stand to have a solid twenty minutes or so shaved off its more than two-hour running time, it’s enjoyable, affable and surprisingly touching at times. It’s no masterpiece, but it’s a solidly entertaining, creatively written shaggy dog of a movie and who could say no to that? 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – off-beat Western has plenty of strangeness, but also hews to genre conventions; mostly good performances and a shaggy dog of a script add up to a fun time at the movies. 3 ½ stars.

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Hadn't seen this in ages and watched it on blu ray for the first time. Love the stop motion animation, those artists are so talented, and Damny Elfmann's music is excellent as usual. I might start watching this every year as it works for multiple holidays lol.

Rocky 5
    Caught this on television and it's alright, I mean, it's really cheesy, but maybe not as much as part 4. I've always liked the original Rocky and the second one is good too, but man are these sequels ever formulaic and definitely a product of their time. Can't say this is really that great though.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]
    Yes Man (2008)
    -
    Experience Format: TiVo (recorded off of premium cable)

One of the later Jim Carrey comedies I had missed out on but actually wanted to see. It has a great premise for a comedy that leads to a very positive, upbeat film with a lot of charm and a great supporting cast. Has a few good laughs in it, but it's not really meant to be a constant laugh-out-loud comedy like the early Carrey films- it's much more restrained in that regard and aims for being adorably quirky.

The plot does have some predictable key points (and the manner in which one is revealed kinda feels out of place, as if there could have been an ongoing supporting character to provide that function instead) and other parts could have been expanded or gone into more depth (like the later "No" segment, but going too deep into that probably wouldn't have aligned with the tone of the rest of the film, I suppose) but it doesn't detract from the rest of the film.

And that supporting cast I mentioned earlier? Zooey Deschanel as co-star (which is really cheating because casting her will automatically bring your film adorkable charm), Bradley Cooper (here in just a "best friend" role, which is weird to consider, given that he's only a year away from breaking out in The Hangover and 4 years away from becoming a string of Oscar wins and nominations), Rhys Darby (who is clearly game for a lot of things) & Terrence Stamp (maybe not the best part of the film but he brings something to the character in a few moments).

One other bit of time warping (beyond the cast) is how, despite this being perceived by me as a relatively recent film (yeah, I know, 10 years isn't exactly recent), it's frequent use of a blockbuster and flip phones made things feel anachronistic. It's something a lot of films set on the threshold of streaming and smartphones will likely find imprinted upon them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to attempt a "Quest's 13 Days of Halloween" string of horror films, one a day on weekdays, double features on the weekends. A mix of some older classics I haven't seen (or haven't seen in their entirety) with several newer ones (a good opportunity to catch up on the various James Wan stuff from earlier/middle of this decade). Reviews might be brief in some cases just so I can keep pace by watching and not writing, but a few will get longer posts.

So, with 13 days to go until Halloween, it seemed like a good place to start would be...

[​IMG]
    Day 1: Halloween 2 v3.0, Timeline Branch #4 (2018)-
    Experience Format: Theatrical

A nice return to form for this series with a couple very well done sequences/moments (the motion detector one stands out in particular). It manages to include traditional slasher elements without them being the focus (so it avoids feeling like a retread) or tacked-on/out of place. But, more importantly, keeps the focus on the larger, newer plot with the Lori/Michael/family showdown.

It also manages to have an ending that would make for an appropriate cap to the series, though it could also allow for more films (either directly, or in a manner nodding towards the ending of one of the previous sequels). I kinda wish they'd leave this one here as it is but the amount of money this thing will make renders that extremely unlikely.

The music also adds a nice update to the classic theme and there are at least two or three scenes/moments where the music is really effective.

The only criticisms i have is I'm unsure about some of the humor- it's both welcome and somewhat out of place, generally used to establish a new future victim or two quickly before they are offed shortly afterwards. Additionally, the "new Loomis" subplot felt unnecessary. It both recycles an aspect of the first film and rapidly does something different with it that is undeveloped and quickly discarded- all at the expense of a far more interesting/likeable character.

Lastly, I'm surprised that Danny McBride didn't play the father. The way he was written/played seemed like the role was written for him.

It was also kinda amusing that both my Lyft driver and a friend (who coincidentally happened to have the seat next to mine in the theater) that I chatted with before and after the film brought up that time Michael went to space, letting their slasher memory blur mistake Jason X for a Halloween movie.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    An old Germany film titled M.

22. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    A mod made references to "my cousin Vinny" so I watched it. Very funny, I liked it a lot.

Sarge and Master_Lok like this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Whenever MCV is on cable, we always watch and quote Mira Sorvino waaaay too much.

Glad you enjoyed. I wish screenplay teachers would use this script in class, it is so great.

3sm1r likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Quest's 13 Days of Halloween

[​IMG]

Day 2, Part 1: The Omen (1976)-
    Experience Format: TiVo (recorded off of premium cable)

Things I knew going into this movie:
    -The theme music, thanks to the South Park *Season 1* parody from 20 years ago.
    -The basic premise.
    -That the third film in this series was the top movie in the US the week I was born, and that children born that same week are relevant to the plot of that film ("The power of evil is no longer in the hands of a child", mwhaha!).

Things I did not know going into this movie:
    -Directed by Richard Donner.
    -It is scored by Jerry Goldsmith.
    -It stars Gregory Peck.
    -It co-stars David Warner.

The film has a bit of a slow pace to it, but not entirely in a bad way because it is taking its time to build towards certain things. But this also leads to an interesting contradiction in that it also rushes through a couple key plot moments (particularly one involving the finale) that could have really used a better build towards.

Peck grounds the entire POV of the film (I also never realized until now how similar he looks and sounds to an older Powers Boothe) and Warner being a solid addition helps expand things out (though, as is usual, you're left wanting more of him on screen than you generally get). The wife character is a largely unimportant role in the film and the drugged-up priest feels more random and undeveloped (there really feels like there's more backstory to that character that is glossed over, so he comes across more as a looney herald of doom passing through the film).

One thing I didn't expect from the film was the more global setting. I had assumed it would primarily be taking place in and around the mansion in England and, while that is mostly true, the backhalf of the film opens up to numerous locations across Italy Israel. It's actually kind of interesting that this film and the (earlier-produced) The Exorcist both involve middle eastern ruin dig sites as a means of adding lore to stories confronting the devil or a demon (albeit The Exorcist opens with that setting, whereas The Omen feature sit closer to the finale).

As far as the horror content goes, this leans generally more towards mystery and uneasy (but not intense) suspense than outright terror. But there are at least two scenes where the intensity ratchets up- both including animals. Part of what makes them effective is that they are more of an audio assault in a film that is generally pretty quiet, so it's an effective use of sound- even in stereo (I don't know if the film was ever remastered into a modern sound format, but those moments could certainly translate well, if done properly). There are also a couple interesting death sequences that add some gore to the proceedings (including a *spectacular* decapitation!).

I forget if i ever saw the 2006 remake, but seeing the original now, I could see why someone would want to try, as there is certainly a lot of potential in the story that could be expanded upon with modern production and effects capabilities (though the story is so familiar now, you run into the problem of keeping it fresh without abandoning the defining elements that may have become cliche since the film established them).

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    First Man. The space program is pretty much as cool as it gets, and I’m up for anything about it, so I’m pretty easy to please, but this was great by any standards. A gripping biopic that portrays not ao much how inspirational the moon landing was — though it can’t help but be — but how difficult it was. Being an astronaut isn’t just the coolest job ever — it’s one that takes incredible talent, intellect, and balls the size of watermelons. You can’t come away with this anything but impressed with Armstrong and the men around him, and the film also does a great job with his family life and the impact his midcentury emotional reserve has on his wife.

Great film. My one frustration was Chazelle’s dependence on claustrophobic shakycam, which was often effective in the cockpit sequences but didn’t need to be the film’s entire aesthetic. I would have loved more long shots of the flight. It does make for a hell of a payoff when Chazelle finally cuts loose with some long shots during the Apollo 11 sequence, which is just transcendent. Seriously, I could just watch that on a loop.