main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Black Diamond Express (1896) – James H. White

In this snippet, the Black Diamond Express train comes down the track toward the camera and then turns just as it gets close. This is one of those “people run screaming out of the theater” pictures from the early days of cinema, I reckon, and this one spawned, believe it or not, a genuine franchise of Black Diamond train movies. And you thought the Friday the 13th franchise was terrible. 0 stars.

tl;dr – train comes directly at camera; not as thrilling as it was in 1896. 0 stars.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What, no spoiler tags, R1.5? [face_shame_on_you]

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That would require any actors with acting ability to be in it. It is incredible. It is a Godfrey Ho film (under his endlessly productive Livingstone pseudonym) so it has that Shaw Brothers connection. But, there is literally a complete ripoff of Master Kao... including bushy eyebrows... however, he works for the drug lords and controls their army of jiangshi. He is seriously the Wario version of Master Kao. You need to get in on this. I'll wait for you before I hit up...

Devil's Dynamite: Robo Vampire 2!

[​IMG]

But... be warned... my wife and friends are now eager for me to screen this because I have them hooked on this madness just like the evil ninja-vampire controlling drug lords planned.

4. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    One Hour Photo. A pretty depressing movie, but Robin Williams is pretty good in it, as always. Also very unusual to see him play the villain.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Robin Williams is brilliant as Sy the Photo Guy. It is an incredible performance.

6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Firestarter

Entertaining 80's flick with a good cast. Lots of neat explosions and many shots of, well, fire.
    George C. Scott plays a creepy, manipulative villain. Martin Sheen does good work too. Drew Barrymore carries the film with a nice performance as the Firestarter.

It's got some flaws, namely in the editing and some dialogue. I'd never seen this one before, but would definitely watch it again. The 80's synth score was fun to hear.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh]

Oh, Geoffrey Ho. :p

Perhaps as compensation for having to work stupid hours between today and Thursday I’ll watch on Friday night after mom goes to sleep. Stupid works as stupid watches. Or something. I would say do not wait for me considering my serious lag in watching new movies lately.

8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    He also played a creepy villain in an episode of Law & Order: SVU.

9. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Also in Insomnia with Al Pacino. But otherwise Williams mostly played good guys.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Robin Williams wasn't typecast as many comic actors are in their film roles. You could probably count on a single hand how many have actually shifted from only comedies to dramatic and/or thrilling roles.

11. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    No, I never saw him as a comedian, he played some tragic or partly tragic roles as well, like Good Morning Vietnam, World's Greatest Dad, Good Will Hunting and many I can't remember now. He was never strictly a comedian to me. What I meant was that he mostly played the good guy, rarely villains.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Like Owen Wilson when he was in "No Escape" and Armaggedon.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

Man what a pretty film. Not just the cinematography but the blend of elegant martial arts with gorgeous music (featuring Yo-Yo Ma) and subtle choices in sound design makes this movie a real treat to behold. Chow Yun-fat is great as a wizened martial arts master who's tired of a life of war and wishes to pass on his knowledge to a worthy successor. But it's Michelle Yeoh who steals the show as his would-be lover who can more than hold her own in a fight. She gets more of the focus, and we get to see that not only is she skilled in a fight, but also highly adept at complex social situations. Zhang Ziyi was also great as a noble girl who wants more than a simple preordained life. All three of them really fit the description of the title, not seeming like much on the surface, but when the gloves are off they show off great passion and power.

Though I liked the background given to Zhang's character, I thought the flahback scenes went on a little long- they could have gotten the same story across in half the time. But other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The fights seemed really well-choreographed, and I even enjoyed the sort of supernatural leaping everyone was capable of. I've always thought Ang Lee had a great handle on combining great visuals and deep meaningful characterizations in how other films, and this one was no exception.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    homecoming: a film by beyonce. this movie was invigorating. i don't even love a lot of her music, but her stage show is just incredible. it will give you life.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That's a movie that I still haven't ever seen. Should probably remedy that.

EDIT: That was in response to Crouching Tiger... not that I wouldn't watch Homecoming :p

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Master_Lok and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  16. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    You should, even if you are not into "martial arts" movies. And the soundtrack is really great, as someone already said. Very nice and beautiful photography as well!

soitscometothis likes this.
  17. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    In addition to the more serious/dramatic roles already brought up here that Robin Williams played, I'd also mention Awakenings.
    He is brilliant in that film. One of my favorites. I rewatched Awakenings and Good Will Hunting the night he passed away.
    RIP RW.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think Crouching Tiger might be the greatest feminist action movie I've ever seen.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As a result of watching Looney Tunes: Back in Action yesterday, I know know what one of my favorite pieces of music from the old LT cartoons is. Google 'Power House B' - guaranteed you'll recognize it.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    October Sky. It’s not exactly a subtle film; it hits the whole conflict with the father thing pretty hard and it feels formulaic. But who can argue with Joe Johnston, the fifties, rockets, Chris Cooper, Jake Gyllenhaal, Laura Dern, and a science-fair climax?

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

American Falls from Above, American Side
    (1896) – James H. White

This short film is actually kind of cool. The cameras are continuing to venture farther and farther out of the studio and this one is a shot of Niagara Falls from the American side and maybe it’s just that I love Niagara Falls and had a really great vacation there, but I thought this was actually kind of neat. ½ star.

tl;dr – a true natural wonder captured briefly. ½ star.

22. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    “The Avengers”, it was great and looking forward to watching more like it ;)

23. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  24. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    The Florida Project

Thoughtful and realistic film details what life is like for some families who can barely make ends meet while living in cheap motels just outside of Disney World.

The cast seemed to be right at home with the improvisatory vibe to several scenes, while delivering intense performances when on script. Kudos to the director, dp, and production designer to create so much realism on such a low budget.

Great cast, especially the mother and daughter leads. And Willem Dafoe gives one of his best performances.

Sensitive, and well meaning, the film is quite depressing tbh, highlighting a part of society that those in Mar a Lago and elsewhere would prefer remained shrouded in darkness.

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Personally, I would say that about Zhang Yimou’s wuxia more than this film. If you’re not into martial arts, but love gorgeously shot, character driven, period films Zhang’s output is stunning (Hero, House of Flying Daggers). Cannot wait for Shadow next month.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.