main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yeah, it dropped on Netflix here in America without any publicity or anything. Weird!!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I saw Farmageddon in theater last year , I was surprised it wasn't up for best animated picture , now I know why.

PCCViking likes this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It's hard to be nominated when you haven't been in the cinemas at all [face_dunno]

PCCViking likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Tbh, the only part I really admired from the original movie was

the part at the end where the shelter dog that Shaun had befriended gets a forever home. That just got to me with the feels

Princess_Tina likes this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Midway

I really don't understand why the movie couldn't have been a bit more about Midway. So much time wasted with cursory looks at Pearl Harbor, the Doolittle Raid, Battle of the Coral Sea, things that likely stretched the film's $100 million budget and could easily have been dropped in favor of an opening paragraph at the beginning of the movie. According to Google, it's one of the most expensive independent films ever made. Meh.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Rebecca (1940)

One of Hitchcock's first big Hollywood films, about a sweet young woman who has no idea how she'll have to live under the shadow of her new husband's late wife. It's more on the melodrama side than the thriller side of Hitch's later works, but it's still very enjoyable, with strong leads in Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier. There's definitely that Hitchcock touch in some parts, shades of his later brilliance here and there. It does drag a little, even after the plot does a 180 when some truths about the departed Rebecca surface, but overall it's a fun little ride.

7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm a big fan of Rebecca.Great film.

Bacon164 likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Currently watching The Hummingbird Project on one of the movie channels. It's OK so far.

pronker likes this.
  9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    So yesterday I watched What She Said: The Art of Pauline Kael, a wonderful documentary about the famous dead critic. It doesn't matter if you liked her reviews or not, it's still a movie lover's wet dream, with clips from hundreds of famous (and some not-so-famous) classic films and interviews with quite a few famous directors. Love her or hate her, she certainly was influential.

Also I watched Call of the Wild and that was pretty OK even though it's obviously made mostly with kids in mind. It's amazing that Karen Gillian somehow found time to be in this movie as well, even if her part is awfully small and really leaves you wanting for more.
    The CG animated dog is an odd thing, I think the movie would have worked better using a real dog but I'm sure kids won't mind.
    One other thing: this seems to be the first movie released with the studio's new name in the opening fanfare: say goodbye to 20th Century Fox and say hello to 20th Century Studios. [face_plain]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    pronker likes this.
  10. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    That's so last century.

PCCViking likes this.
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yes. The century when Hollywood was born. =D=

12. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    apparently the 1935 version was the last picture to use the 20th Century Pictures logo , so this re-boot of the name on the 2020 version is a bit of synchronicity.

pronker likes this.
  13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It almost rhymes.... :p

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Art Scholl Story: The Sky Below Me, The Crowds Above (1968)
    A short documentary about one of the all-time great airshow, film, and aerobatic pilots. They caught some fantastic maneuvers on film for this one; the one that utterly blew my mind was when he went into a vertical dive from only 1000 feet altitude, did a snap roll on the way down, and recovered at an altitude of "about five feet" just like he planned and practiced. He died in 1985 while filming a flat spin for Top Gun and I still resent that movie for his death.

Master_Lok, pronker and gezvader28 like this.
  15. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Green Book again. Love it so much.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The Last of the Mohicans

I don't have to much to say other then that it's a well put together historical adventure film with one of the catchiest movie themes ever.

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Papillon. I expected it to be good, but I didn't expect it to be this good. McQueen and Hoffman (now that's an odd couple) are both great, McQueen probably career-best. It's a great prison film, well-directed and smart, and often quietly funny. Just a top-notch effort.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Super Size Me 2: Holy Chicken! (2017)
    I watched this on a streaming channel. Morgan Spurlock's back! The guy who you might've remembered vomiting in the parking lot of a McDonald's during a marathon binge of their food decides what better way to get his point across on the Fast Food industry than to establish his own chicken restaurant, albeit with his own brand of irony literally written on the walls. It starts at the beginning, where he takes out a loan to purchase a chicken coop to have his own birds raised from the beginning; that way you can see how most of the industry these days raise theirs (despite all of the fancy/gimmicky FDA-certified labels like "All Natural" and "Cage-free" that are as vague in their true definitions as you might imagine). It's not pretty how these birds, bred to explode in growth in just a little over a month, appear as documented. And many of the independent farmers (like the one that has raised Spurlock's chickens), have been screwed over by the big chicken industries like Tyson. But his restaurant, while it's obviously never meant to be a competitor to the big chains, certainly seems to get the job done with the customers appreciating the irony; with such things like, "THIS WALL IS PAINTED GREEN TO MAKE YOU THINK WE ARE HEALTHY". The movie is certainly not for the eyes of Vegans, as you might imagine. They don't show the processing plant of the chickens but their livelihood is still not pleasant to begin with.

pronker likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    McQueen & Hoffman are two guys who just really should not work together. They're just such radically different on-screen presences. But they do. It's a really counter-intuitive pairing that works.

Havac and pronker like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    JoJo Rabbit (2019)
    A Redbox rental. This is among those critically acclaimed movies from last year that I wanted to see if it lived up to its hype. I wasn't all that keen on the movie through the trailers; a first-person perspective of a young boy in Nazi Germany who's so infatuated with the Swastika that his conscious actually takes form of the Fuehrer himself. Um ok. It's billed as a comedy, but I just didn't find it all that amusing for the most part. I didn't really feel anything for the boy overall. Scarlet Johanson plays his mother; she was all right. Sam Rockwell plays a demoted Nazi officer in charge of the Hitler Youth and you could never go wrong with him.

21. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Uncut Gems ( 2019)
    If we could grade movies, i'd call 4 stars movie.

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think a lot of that is down to McQueen, who is not giving what feels like a typical McQueen performance. But the film really finds a way to make it work.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood- weird movie. last part was the best. dont know how it was nominated for best movie, i dont think it makes the cut.

the acting was phenomenal

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Finally got around to watching this! Had it on my list ever since you made this post. The lead does indeed have some really tight, compact moves, and kicks that I give the Van Damme stamp of approval.

The movie is exactly what the title sounds like, your really dark, brutal lone hero revenge story (Death Wish, Peppermint, anything with Steven Seagal, etc)...with extraneous, goofball slapstick sidekicks thrown in. They were really out of place, completely clashing with the tone of the movie, and indeed hard to sit through.

But you know what? They had a characterization purpose. They showed you that maybe those goofballs weren't so bad. Maybe they weren't quite like the rest of the psychopaths on the island. The goofballs themselves say as much, if they are to be believed. Maybe their circumstances were different. Maybe not all murderers are psychopaths lusting for blood. Maybe a murderer can still be a decent person who just did one really horrible thing. Maybe the mama bear character was screwed over by an unsympathetic cop. Maybe it's an injustice that non-psychopaths were thrown on an island with savage murderers (the entire premise of throwing murderers on an island together is unjust). After all, those goofballs turn out to be kinda heroic. They risk their lives for others. They sacrifice. They help each other survive.
    And then they all get brutally murdered.
    So why the hell were they in this martial arts revenge movie? It's a message, I guess, it just doesn't really belong, it's kinda out of place. It's not really what one is looking for in a movie like this. It ruins the revenge fantasy.

There's some really good martial arts here, if you can bare the slapstick that distracts from the revenge. I'd like to see more of the lead, Bruce Khan.

soitscometothis likes this.
  25. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    The Mummy. Again. I swear this could be my most watched film, because they always play it on TV and I watch it every time. The score sounds amazing. It makes me wish there were more classic adventure soundtracks these days, but there isn't. Star Wars and Marvel is it really.

Also watched Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me last night. Man, those films are hilarious. Mike Myers has to be one of the funniest actors we've ever had.

Sarge likes this.