main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Welcome to Italian schlocky rip offs (though you've already sat through some of Enzo Castellari's worst movies (the Bronx films.)) I like Star Crash for what it is and is not (and for Caroline Munroe such a good sport in her not costume.) Need to watch that again somewhere along the way.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I actually found the Bronx movie more entertaining

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Master_Lok likes this.
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The quick dispatch of the Warriors Three is one of my biggest grumbles about it (though Hela was ultimately a wash out for me as well.) I was so annoyed during that sequence while at the theatre.

@Gamiel - different strokes and that. :p For me, Enzo hit his ultimate low with those movies (and the subsequent one(s) he did with Fred Williamson.) The one Italian schlocky SF I still enjoy is 2019 After The Fall of New York which is bad in all the right ways (and boasts a would-be actor as almost as cute as Kurt Russell.) :D:cool:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Snowed in today and so it was movie day.

Watched 'The Godfather' , it's a pretty okay movie

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Wizard of Lies (2017)

Robert DeNiro plays Bernie Maddof. That Bernie Maddof. He's good. Not quite a return to form, but it's a nice reminder of what he's capable as as an actor.

6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Watched The Matrix today. Such a great movie that's held up so well! Can't wait for the UHD release this year.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The Voice of the Turtle aka One for the Book (1947)

Starring Eleanor Parker and Ronald Reagan. A woman who loves too easily and gets her heart broken swears off all but the most casual love, but a handsome GI on a weekend pass and no place to go ends up in her apartment. Other than Max Steiner's music and some cute character quirks for Parker there isn't much more to it, but it was enough to provide an amusing two hours.

Eleanor Parker is an underrated actress, able to play roles all over the spectrum, but early in her career she was often cast as these sweet/innocent but hysterical and neurotic women, as she is here. I swear she puts so much breath into her voice here to sound so sweet and demure that she must have been hoarse by the end of filming. I really, really love this sort of thing, it's just so very quaint, I'm going to be imitating her all day tomorrow.

Reagan deserves every bit his reputation as an actor, he's stiff as a board here. You could replace him with a mannequin in an army uniform and it would make no difference.

I'm still glad I watched it, it got me in the mood for silly romance just in time for the Valentine season! Yeah, I think I'm going to act as if there's a whole season instead of just a day.

8. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Maze Runner: The Death Cure

I wasn’t a fan of the first film, but I really liked the second, so I had high hopes for the third. I’m just glad I didn’t judge the series from the first film, because it’s been great ever since. The Death Cure may be the best in the series, but it’s too close to call between that and The Scorch Trials for now.

I’m not a fan of films made for teenagers at all. The Hunger Games and Divergent and series like those aren’t very good and really cheesy, but for some reason Maze Runner works. With a lengthy run time of 2 hours 20, it never lets up and stays exciting the entire time, which can be pretty hard to do.

I loved the post apocalyptic setting and the world they created. It was believable. It didn’t have a very big budget either, so well done to the technical teams. The action scenes were done really well with some clever and unexpected moments. The sound design stood out to me as well.

It had quite a good bunch of characters acted well by the entire cast, but it’s the supporting characters that stood out the most I felt. The lead villain, played by the wonderful Aidan Gillen, was the best character. I really enjoyed watching him in every scene. Giancarlo Esposito’s character was great again. Walton Goggins even had a smaller supporting role that was really good.

8/10.

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Call me by your name

Beautiful, lovely, poetic, stunning. The main character is a mixture of intellect and complete naivety. And his little chat with his father at the end was something truly amazing. Wow, totally recommend. One of the best if not the best movie of 2017.

Bacon164 likes this.
  10. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Really enjoyed this. Uncle Charlie and Young Charlie played perfectly, really everyone was. I’d have preferred he get away with it in the end and not die, though, because in real life, the murderer tends to get away with it.

5/5

Scooby-Doo On Zombie Island (1998 )
    I remember watching this when I was a kid and thought it was so scary. The part where they zoom in on the tape and see the ghost, the kind girl being an evil cat-person……………….Not scary now, but still enjoyed it. They contrast between the cartoonish-humor and the horror-movie scary parts really well.

5/5

The Gospel of John (2014)
    A word-for-word adaptation of the Bible’s Book of John, so some parts are a little preachy / long monologues from Jesus. But if you like the Book of John, you will like this movie.

5/5

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Best movie review opening line in history.

12. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I caught the last act of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

I know a lot of fans were dissapointed with this one, but I love it. Yeah, it’s not on par with Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade, but it’s still a really solid entry in the series. The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, and easily one of my favourites of all time. The soundtracks just add so much to this series. Indy, you’ve done it again.

9/10.

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    TOD is like that kid who grows up and starts a successful chain of dry cleaners, but his older Brother is an Astrophysicist and his younger Sister is a Neurosurgeon. At least he has baby Brother KOTCS, who's always between jobs and lives in their parent's basement.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  14. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    The 40-Year-Old Virgin

This is the first time I’ve seen this, and has been on my watch list for a very long time. I love Steve Carell. In my opinion, he’s one of the greatest comedy actors there is. And surprise, surprise, he’s great in this one. He’s accompanied by a great cast including Paul Rudd, who I absolutely adore, Seth Rogen, who I absolutely hate, yet didn’t mind him at all in this, and lastly Romany Malco, who I’ve never seen before but wish I had.

The first two acts are great. There’s some absolutely hilarious moments like the waxing and trying to put on a condom. What made the waxing scene even better was the fact that it was all improvised. Steve literally got his chest waxed and the reactions seen on screen were his reactions in real life. Even the supporting cast had real reactions. I was in tears of laughter.

The last act fell into the same trap as a lot of other comedy films do, which is tone the comedy down to get some drama in there. I don’t mind that, but I wish the comedy had kept going strong right until the end. Either way, it was still an enjoyable story. I also found Steve’s character very relatable, which is both scary and funny at the same time.

8/10.

15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The Mummy 2017 Seemingly a much maligned version that I’ve been putting off watching for that reason.

It starts off with a tomb being found beneath London of knights from the crusades, the site is then mysteriously taken over by Russel Crowe and his team. There follows a rather clumsy exposition scene from Crowe explaining the legend of the mummy and setting up her character (another Hollywood gender swap remake). However I really liked the opening act where we meet Tom Cruise, who is some kind of military reconnaissance expert, who is doubling as an antique thief of historic sites and he and his sidekick unwittingly uncover the tomb of the mummy during a short battle in Iraq. At this point we also meet a British archaeologist (Annabelle Wallis) who Tom Cruise had slept with and stole a map from, so they all descend into the tomb to examine it. I really liked this scene, the elaborate way the sarcophagus was submerged in mercury, the set, the idea that the tomb is actually a prison for the mummy’s body ..... very cool.

Anyway it’s recovered and shipped out on a plane, but not before Tom Cruise has a curse laid on him as it was raised and experiences visions of her. The plane leaves for England, Tom Cruises sidekick (who was bitten by a spider in the tomb) is zombiifed, tries to open the sarcophagus and has to be shot dead, however the plane is brought down by a massive bird strike over England. Tom saves the archealogist by giving her the only parachute and he dies in the plane crash..... only to wake in the morgue, saved by the mummy’s curse.

From here as we get to the final 2 acts I think the story becomes a big of a mess that doesn’t utilise it’s potwntial of an English historical setting to the max. The sarcophagus is opened in the impact of the crash, she’s zombifiing rescue workers whilst searching for 2 parts to an ancient dagger that will bring evil to life (Set) through Cruises body once she kills him with it. Cruises’ sidekick is now following him around like Griffin Dunne in American Werewolf and talking to him. We get a fight with the zombies and the mummy around a church and woods in Oxford. During which The mummy, Cruise and Wallis are captured and transported to London by a secret society who’s role is to fight evil in the world (lead by Russel Crowe). We find out who Crowe really is, the mummy escapes and purses Cruise and Wallis through London with the dagger, which is now complete. She brings the crusaders to life to do her bidding and to capture Cruise, ending with Cruise wrestling the dagger off her and killing himself with it, so that he can control the evil that’s been resurrected through him and so kill the mummy. He then disappears off in to the night to take on more adventures in the Middle East with his now resurrected sidekick who was previously a zombie?? Yet clearly he has evil within that he has to suppress. I’m sure the idea behind that was for some kind of spin off based on his character maybe. Meanwhile in London he mummy is buried in a mercury pit again and that’s it.

In the main this was ok. I really enjoyed some of the scenes and ideas in it, there are some very good action scenes, Cruise is good as usual and convinces in the action scenes and looks like he wants to be there. Wallis whilst looking gorgeous actually adds very little to the story, arguably neither does Cruises soon to be zombie sidekick who’s there for comedic relief. The Mummy, I think is played by the women from Kingsman, is good. The main downfalls for me were that it missed a trick when they arrived in England. They could have used the old English setting a bit more, the old back streets areas they filmed in for Oxford could have added more visual history to the story. Also when they get to London I liked the idea of Russel Crowes organisation secretly keeping the world safe, but they could have made more use of the unseen London beneath the streets than they did, again to give it a more historical look. Also the story seems to peter out and go nowhere, it just kind of ended and I wasn’t too invested in the story as we get to the finale.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I tried watching that Baywatch movie , god its awful . They keep trying to do meta gags about how odd it is that they keep getting involved in chasing crooks when they're just lifeguards , but none of it works .

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I wasn’t aware that anyone had made a movie about the German zeppelin raids in World War I. I always thought that that could potentially make a pretty good film.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    In the Bedroom (2001)

Really intense, but at the same time quite and subdued revenge drama anchored by terrific lead performances from Tom Wilkinson and Sissy Spacek. It doesn't really get much recognition these days even though it was a Best Picture nominee that year. I really liked it.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's not really about the German zeppelin raids of WW1. *SPOILER* It's about a fictional commando raid that uses a zepp for transport.

20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I saw that . wasn't what I expected .

21. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - just read the book so thought I would check out the movie. It doesn't really capture the quirkiness or the humor of the book but it was an okay adaption with a pretty solid cast.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (2016)

Well...it's better than Dirty Grandpa, the other Zac Effron raunchfest from that same year. Not saying much. It's exactly what the trailers made it out to be.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2010)
    This was the live action adaptation of the Hosoda's anime "The Girl who Leapt Through Time", which came out two years earlier. I didn't remember much about the anime; but to be honest I didn't think I was all that crazy about it as I am with other anime feature films. I liked Hosada's other movies, Summer Wars and especially Wolf Children better. The live action story was good; even though it seems a lot of times many of these Japanese live action film adaptations feel like B movies. I'm gonna have to rewatch the anime again, which I know got far better reviews overall.

24. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    The Avengers (2012)

I remember seeing The Avengers twice in the cinema on opening day and loving it both times. However, by the time it had it's home release I had come to realize is not as good as I originally thought. The Avengers is a average action film that holds up by being part of a larger universe, but nothing more. Even as a grand finale to the first phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it never feels truly grand. There's still a fun time to be had with The Avengers, but there is clear room for improvements.

C+

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just a follow up to my previous post. I actually managed to find a streamed version of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006), the original animated version and watched it after the live action one. It was ok, but I kind of remembered now why it didn't really connect with me like other anime films. There wasn't really a significant plot to it. IMO the characters weren't all that relatable. It didn't feel like there was much emotional drama going on; certainly less than the live action film. What's interesting is that although the live action film does keep the same title, the stories really have nothing to do with each other. I know it was originally based on a novel which I haven't read; so I wonder which of the two movies stayed true to that story.

Just a little EDIT after reading the Wikipedia about the two movies:
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (時をかける少女 Toki o Kakeru Shōjo) is a 2006 Japanese-animated science fiction romance film produced by Madhouse, directed by Mamoru Hosoda and written by Satoko Okudera. Released by Kadokawa Herald Pictures, the film is a loose sequel to the 1967 novel of the same name by Yasutaka Tsutsui and shares the basic premise of a young girl who gains the power of time travel, but with a different story and characters than the novel. Riisa Naka voices teenager Makoto Konno, who learns from Kazuko Yoshiyama, Makoto's aunt and the protagonist to the original story, that Makoto has the power to travel through time. Makoto begins using the time-leaps frivolously to fix problems.

Another interesting tidbit is that the woman who acted in the live action movie as the protagonist actually voiced the girl protagonist (an entirely different character) in the anime film.