main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Brilliant!

Walt's masterpiece.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Thief of Bagdad. The 1940 version. This film was completely insane. It moves at a rocket pace, just bouncing all over the place so instantaneously, introducing random plot points at will, thatI pretty quickly gave up on caring what’s happening and just enjoyed the spectacle. It’s quite the spectacle: huge, riotously colorful sets, the most random assortment of adventure concepts you’ll ever find throw together, showy special effects that are fairly advanced for their day. It’s too bad it’s all in the service of such an unhinged, scattershot mess.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's hot garbage, but Superman III came up the idea that Lana Lang would be more interested in Clark Kent than Superman, which was such a terrific inversion of the Superman romance formula (and so goddamn obvious) that John Byrne made it canon and Marv Wolfman adapted it for Cat Grant.

I'd take that well over the other obvious big movie of 1983. I am, of course, referring to Flashdance.

pronker, Sarge, Blobofat and 4 others like this.
  4. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Superman III is a funny, quirky movie.
    I like it. And Richard is funny as hell.

Like, anyone who likes Rocky IV must like Superman III.

I mean, like, get real, or whatever.

Edit to add: plus, Superman III features a scene in Smallville in which George Harrison is singing Chuck Berry's song "Roll Over Beethoven" with his band known as The Beatles. So, like, what more do you want from a movie lol. [face_tee_hee]

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Something good that I enjoy watching, I guess.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  6. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    The Empire Strikes Back is a good one.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    You mean the really old movie that Spider-Man described? :p

Juliet316 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  8. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

The Sugarland Express (1974)
    Viewing Experience: DVD

A dim-witted young woman in Texas breaks her (slightly more intelligent) husband out of a pre-release detention facility to help her steal back their baby from a foster home. The naive couple end up stealing a car and kidnapping a Highway Patrolman at gunpoint, leading to a slow motion convoy pursuit by law enforcement across the state. In the process, the two become elevated as local folk heroes.

One of the top two or three most overlooked movies in Spielberg’s filmography (as it lacks the notable hit/flop/awards/actor reputations of his other films, despite being the beginning of his collaboration with John Williams). This was my second viewing of this film, after first having watched it upon its initial DVD release.

Returning to it now, and being more aware of Spielberg’s technique than I was at the time, I’ve come to appreciate it much more than I did initially. And I don’t think you actually need to approach it with that mentally or knowledge to enjoy this one because it’s actually a little charming and holds up rather well. I feel it has actually risen in the ranks of my Spielberg rankings, if only a little.

[​IMG]

What struck me the most during this viewing was not only the expected Spielberg touches like backlit character visuals (here, achieved through sunlight reflected off the water) and overlapping dialogue, but also just how many aspects of Spielberg’s future films have their seeds planted here (or, in the case of Duel, carried forward here).

You have the car camera work from Duel as a common thread, yes, but you also get vehicles popping over multiple dirt hills like the bikes in E.T.. A sniper setting up his shot employs the dolly-zoom from Jaws. And there is a sense of excess in the vehicular swarms and crashes that evokes the carnage and over-indulgences of 1941 (but not in a bad way).

I was also very impressed with how many interesting camera shots and movements Steven pulls off inside the limited space of the car. It’s very inventive and helps provide a sense of momentum and energy to something limiting that could have otherwise been either very distant (by being filmed more from the outside) or more static (with less internal movement by the camera).

The story itself has a nice, unique tone to it. There’s definitely a sense of building foreboding to it as things start to become inevitable, but it has a light sense of fun and humor to it in its small moments. It also peppers in some intriguing minor characters who may, for better or for worse, sometimes only exist for a single shot or line (there’s a bit with a wise, old reporter I rather liked).

The cast is pretty uniformly good in their roles. William Atherton, Goldie Hawn and Ben Johnson make the characters believable and human, even if they’re all hoping for things that they may suspect are not going to happen.

It’s a film worth revisiting (or checking out for the first time), if you haven’t done so.

I couldn’t find a lot of screenshots from the movie, unfortunately, but I was amused at the variety of posters made for the film (and ending with the kinda generic DVD cover), besides the one above:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    darthcaedus1138 and pronker like this.
  10. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I notice it stars the EPA inspector from Ghostbusters.

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    William Atherton was a very underrated actor. He was also good in Die Hard.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, you're not used to seeing him this young, given that's he's most recognizable from Ghostbusters and Die Hard. which came out a decade+ later.

PCCViking likes this.
  13. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    A Star is Born 1954 version-Thought it went too long. And I’ve never been a fan of Judy Garland though I admit she was good in this. James Mason was great though.

My Neighbor Tortoro-Very cute

pronker likes this.
  14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Atherton was gangly and superb in Centennial, too.

Master_Lok and Dagobahsystem like this.
  15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Spartacus. I’m pretty sure all these epics were in a competition to see which could be the most unnecessarily long. It goes on far longer than it needs to, but that’s its only real weakness. Unlike most of these other epics, the script might be indulgently overstuffed, but it has a clear idea of what story it’s telling, and it holds the attention all the way through with a strong narrative and solid characters. It’s got Kubrick’s impeccable direction. The acting is excellent, with Douglas a sympathetic lead, Olivier an excellent villain (the scheming Roman politics are a highlight), and witty turns from Laughton and Ustinov. Their bantering is delightful, and Ustinov’s hilariously smarmy performance is by far the best thing in the film. Head and shoulders above any of the other sword-and-sandals epics of its time.

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "Monkey Business" with the Marx Brothers. South Plainfield Library presented it on-line, with "Long-Haired Hare" as the opening act.

pronker likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The Princess and the Frog (2009)
    I never saw this Disney film, so I figured I'd watch it on Disney Plus. I thought it was pretty good; a twist on an old fairy tale. Unless I'm wrong, I think was the last hand-drawn animated feature by Disney.

MrZAP, pronker and PCCViking like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
    There are moments of sublime beauty in this film. It's a pity I have to wade through some ugly garbage to get to them.

Master_Lok and pronker like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Dirty Harry (1971)
    Viewing Experience: Streaming (Prime Video)

(Unfortunately, there are no notable quotes associated with this film [face_dunno] )

[​IMG]

In an era known for its multitude of films featuring dirty cops comes a film about a cop with “Dirty” in the title… and he’s actually not a dirty cop. Go figure. The character’s nickname has a bit of a Joker spin to it, in that the answer as to what it means changes every time. It could be because he’s racist. Or it could be because he gets all the dirty jobs. Or it could be something else.

[​IMG]

The visual look of this film is interesting- very grainy with an era-appropriate muted palette but with bright colors that really pop when present (particularly the daytime sky). And all of that wrapped in very deep, unbroken blacks that approach an almost graphic novel-like quality at times. It also uses a lot of handheld footage, so things are almost always a little shaky and, often, will go to a first person perspective. Though, with all that grain, one kinda hopes that there might be a better restoration out there at some point.

[​IMG]

Eastwood, as you would expect, plays the hardass with ease. Meanwhile, the villain of the picture crazy, modern feel to him as well that further plays into the comic book feel- especially later on when he begins enacting more elaborate schemes against the main character.

The film throws in a lot of variety between the initial manhunts to the ransom delivery to the final showdown, as well as an ultimately unnecessary stadium sequence that is probably the film’s only shortcoming. The whole ransom pay phone treasure hunt, however, could pass for a finale in other films. And that leads to a confrontation in the park where they OH **** IT’S GARAK!! I did not know Andrew Robinson was in this! But as soon as he started talking he was instantly recognizable.

[​IMG]

The movie deals with the main character in contradicting ways, in regards to the shoot-first-ask-questions-later tough guy cop archetype. It first condemns Harry’s actions by showing the legal problems of circumventing rights and procedures but then goes on to condone and glorify his the-law-isn’t-enough attitude. It feels consistent for the character but it also feels like the film is trying to have it both ways and it loses some nuance it could have otherwise had there.

[​IMG]

Due to how much this has been imitated, the film may not lumber over those that have followed. It’s just too familiar in many respects- you’ve seen these character dynamics (especially with the Mayor) on TV a billion times. But, while this one may not stand out as being that special in a modern world saturated with crime dramas and procedurals, but it still holds up rather well and is probably worth checking out.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I see you forgot the iconic and oft-quoted line "Come on Harry, live a little."

Master_Lok, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, of course! :oops:I knew there had to be one...

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Master_Lok and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm fairly certain "Yer a wizard, 'arry" is also from this film as well.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Andrew Robinson nailed that line. ESPECIALLY the lies.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The next film in the series, "Magnum Force", kind of expands on (or backpeddles on, depending on your point of view) Harry's opinion of the justice system. It also basically ignores the final shot of "Dirty Harry", and has an opening theme that could only have been created in the 1970s.