main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Touch of Evil (1958)

A good later era noir, one might call it a sendoff for the era even. Orson Welles stars and directs, and he's in the role of the grizzled and jaded cop investigating an explosion on the US-Mexico border. But not all is as it seems, and to complicate things a Mexican cop (played by... Charlton Heston? lol) sticks his nose in the investigation as well. A good amount of the film is the two cops playing off each other as they shake down the streets of this seedy border town, while Heston's new wife, played by Janet Leigh, is a bit of a pastiche of noir femme fatale and damsel in distress tropes in the sidelines. All three give great performances, especially Welles, who adds much depth to an already complex character.

Technically it's top of the line for a noir, which isn't too surprising coming with Welles in the director's seat. There's a couple of long tracking shots throughout, which given the time it was made are all the more impressive. And of course there's heaps of chiaroscuro and clever camera angles to really nail down that noir feel.

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The Heroin Busters (1977)

To me, this is Italian action perfection. A fun look at an undercover Italian narc who infiltrates and busts a worldwide heroin drug ring currently based in Rome. Fabio Testi is a delight as the Errol Flynn-like undercover narc, while his cranky, Interpol boss (David Hemmings) is comic relief you never saw coming.

Director Enzo Castellari’s four police film is my favorite for its playful interludes during an otherwise dour look at heroin dealers and addicts. Testi’s cavalier narc is an utter blast and the final 30 minutes is a sweet over-the-top chase sequence that is ridiculous in all the right ways.

I still dig this movie after 17 years. Not just because it boasts my favorite Goblin, or that Fabio was some swell eye candy. At times, this movie is fun.

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    What We Do in the Shadows - I've been meaning to check this one out for a while and finally got around to it.....and glad I did. Really enjoyed it, had me laughing throughout. Think I'll check out the series now.

4. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    The Train-Never seen this but thought it was fantastic

pronker likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I need to watch this. I loved his next flick he made after that one, Hunt for the Wilderpeople

darthcaedus1138 and cubman987 like this.
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    You should, I feel like you'd like it.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Lady in the Lake. This Chandler adaptation is mainly notable for the gimmick it introduced: it’s shot in first person. And that’s really the downfall of that kind of gimmickry: when you do something that gimmicky, it’s all your film is ever going to be known for. You can argue it suits the first-person conventions of hardboiled fiction, and, yeah, it’s an interesting experiment. It doesn’t really distract from the movie too much; you get used to it pretty easily. But it’s still a showy, basically pointless flourish that’s just taking away your ability to see the main character. Director-star Robert Montgomery’s performance, aside from some intro bits and a few mirrors, is just reduced to his voice, which isn’t really suited for Marlowe (he can get some of the sarcastic delivery right, but that only reinforces the fact that he sounds like an Alan Alda impersonator (it took me about forty-five minutes of “What is bugging me so much about his voice?” until I figured that one out)). Overall, it’s a pretty good noir and a decent Chandler adaptation except for the unnecessary stylistic flourish.

8. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah 1991

Serious, fun, and well made Gojira film from the Heisei era. Evil time travelers warn of Japan's destruction unless Godzilla is destroyed. When they teleport him, Ghidorah is created by three cute little aliens left to be nuked lol. Meanwhile Godzilla is brought back and gets accidentally nuked by a submarine and the kaiju start attacking cities.
    After Gojira destroys one of Ghidorah's heads and leaves him for dead at the bottom of the sea; he is of course revived by our time travellers who create MechaGhidorah or whatever he's called. Great music too. Whew!

It was fun to rewatch, I love the movie.

pronker, Princess_Tina and Master_Lok like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019)
    I've been meaning to see this movie for awhile. It's on Amazon Prime now so I watched it today. I thought it was all right. Shia Laboef is a Southerner on the run after he gets on the wrong side of his fellow fisherman, and he stumbles on a boy with down-syndrome who himself had run away from a rehabilitation facility. It's a nice, thoughtful movie with heart. The boy is played by a young actor who does have down-syndrome. Dakota Johnson also stars as the boy's caretaker.

DAR and pronker like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017)
    More of the same mythical superhuman ridiculousness, with a little 300 style imagery. Recommended for viewers who want to see men fighting by throwing chariots, trees, and oxen at each other with their bare hands. I saw the first one with super-cheesy dubbed dialog, but this one was subtitled, so the acting seemed better, but the subs read like Google translate fails. Still, I enjoyed the story, I just wish it had been told better.

pronker likes this.
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I loved the disclaimer on the scenes that appear to show anything happening to the animals. :p

Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I kept meaning to see this in theaters. Shia is having a bit of a resurgence which is pretty great.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I was going to say I don't think I've seen him in a film since that last Indiana Jones movie. That came out after Transformers, right?

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    He did a lot of "performance art" in between. Most notably
    [​IMG]

pronker likes this.
  15. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    The Old Guard... Netflix original. Charlize Theron is a great actress. Well thought out, original script. Great concept. I enjoyed it very much.

16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Sayonara. Marlon Brando stars as a Korean War Air Force officer stationed in Japan who shares the official disapproval of servicemen marrying local girls. But when his airman friend marries a Japanese woman, he agrees to be best man, and after his fiancee, the daughter of the area general, grows distant, he becomes obsessed with a Japanese actress and begins an interracial romance of his own.

It takes a bit of a heavy moralizing tone, to be expected when delivering this kind of message in the fifties, but it is pretty graceful overall (casting Ricardo Montalban as a famous kabuki actor is a misstep, though). It’s pretty a pretty potent story, handsomely shot and well acted. Miyoshi Umeki and Red Buttons, as the first couple, both won Oscars, Miiko Taka is very good as Brando’s girlfriend, and you’ve got James Garner as another friend. And Brando knocks it out of the park. He insisted on playing the character with a sort of mumbling, sheepish Southern accent, and it helps Brando really sell the performance as someone who isn’t some hateful bigot who’s converted, but just a good ol’ boy who’s completely out of his depth dealing with a foreign culture for the first time, but who comes to have a profound growth by slowly engaging with it. It’s a well-crafted, solid film; its only real flaw is that it doesn’t need to be two and a half hours. It could very easily have been cut down.

17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Midnight Special (2016)

Jeff Nichols knocks it out of the park again with an understated take on a family on the run from the government. It's very back to basics, Twilight Zone-esque with its approach at presenting its supernatural elements, which makes it all the more suspenseful as this family races towards something they don't fully understand. Michael Shannon and Joel Edgerton are great as the leads, just a guy and his best friend trying to transport the former's son across state lines to reach a mysterious rendezvous. Kirsten Dunst and Adam Driver are also great in some understated roles, and Sam Shephard shows up for 3 minutes and just shows off how amazing he is.

It's a very archetypal story, with more than a few Biblical allegories, which is why it's great at just immediately drawing you in. Combined with a sharp script, wonderfully atmospheric music, and beautiful cinematography and you just get a damn good film.

Rogue1-and-a-half and pronker like this.
  18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That was kind of a creepy movie to watch in the theater... [face_worried]

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The soundtrack was amazing in the theater on Midnight Special. Those ambient rumbles were seat-shaking. Great movie all around.

He is phenomenal in Peanut Butter Falcon. Really excellent. The movie is pretty good, not great. But Shia's performance is maybe his best.

I haven't seen Sayonara and I've always wondered: Is he better than Sessue Hayakawa in Bridge on the River Kwai? That always seemed like a weird choice for the Academy to make.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    pronker and Princess_Tina like this.
  20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Making Waves The History of Cinematic Sound . doc 2019

very good doc covering the development of sound in the cinema with lots of interviews . Its interesting how slowly sound developed , I mean from the 30s to the 70s there was barely any improvements , most movies in the 70s were still mono . SW and Apocalypse Now really pushed it on.

Juliet316 and pronker like this.
  21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Honestly, neither of them stand out at the Oscar level. But they both get to do the kind of grandstanding that the Academy loves.

pronker likes this.
  22. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Gojira 1954

Watched this for the second time, first blu ray viewing.

What can I say that hasn't already been said, as there have been countless pages written about this classic film. It's the one that started it all.

It's a really well made film and extremely bleak by necessity, as the story and events it references are incredibly traumatic and sad.

It's quite a remarkable response to and reflection on the horrors of nuclear war.

And what an ending.

I'll have to finally check out the US version from 1956 as I've never seen it. The Criterion blu ray I have has both versions.

23. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    South Plainfield Library showed the Raymond Burr version last Friday. As good as the original is (and it is very good), I still favor the Burr version. That was one of my Dad's favorite movies, and when he accidentally taped over his copy, I was very happy to get him a copy on DVD. After he passed away, our family donated the DVD to the library, with a dedication on the catalog record.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Here Comes the Navy (1934)
    Starring James Cagney (playing James Cagney in his usual style) and most of the USN, apparently. I watched it for the scenes with the airship USS Macon, which were mostly stunning, aside from a few obviously fake moments. There was a lot of pre-WW2 era naval equipment on display, 4-piper destroyers, Curtiss biplane dive-bombers, the carrier Lexington, and here's what really got to me, lots of scenes filmed aboard USS Arizona. She only had seven more years before she went to the bottom of Pearl Harbor. :([face_flag]

25. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Yearling. This adaptation of one of the great underappreciated classics is right on. It has wonderful material to work with in the story of the coming of age of a young boy on the frontier. It’s a beautiful story full of both moral clarity and complexity, balancing the joy of innocence with the necessity of growing up. The film does a fantastic job of bringing it to the screen, with a visually beautiful color presentation and strong performances, especially Gregory Peck as Penny, a literary father figure every bit as remarkable as Atticus Finch. A wonderful film.

pronker and Kenneth Morgan like this.