main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    The Last Jedi. I must admit I don't get the hate, this was solid entertainment.

Rogue1-and-a-half and pronker like this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Personal History of David Copperfield

I wish there were more of this movie. The two hours flew by at a pace that didn't leave much time to marvel at David's wild swings of fortune.

pronker likes this.
  3. Toddy

Toddy Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2016
    Bogart’s Marlowe is what Marlowe wanted to be; Powell’s Marlowe is what Marlowe was.

Love that film.

pronker likes this.
  4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I can't see them making a sequel, though.

:p

GregMcP and christophero30 like this.
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It took me a while to get that.

PCCViking likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    watched hitchcock's notorious today, with bergman and cary grant. of hitchcock's best-reviewed films, only one that I hadn't seen previously. loved it - slow start, but the last third is tense and thrilling.

one of the best claude rains performances I've seen, too.

8. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    For The Love of Spock

A beautiful 2016 Documentary directed by Leonard Nimoy's son.
    This doc is freakin' awesome people. There is so much amazing vintage footage and several of the main ST cast return for interviews. And I never knew to what extent Leonard Nimoy was such a Renaissance Man.

There are clips and scenes that will make you laugh, inspire you, and make you cry.

The scene where they intercut real clips of the TOS cast watching Leonard sing the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins song had me in stitches; I watched it twice in a row.

This is essential viewing for Star Trek fans.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Sarge, heels1785 , Juliet316 and 3 others like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Radioactive (2019)
    An Amazon Prime Original starring Rosamund Pike as Marie Curie with Sam Riley as her husband Pierre in a historical drama on the Nobel Prize winner and her life's work. At times it weighs heavily on the drama; and features imagery that kind of takes away from the main story. It also portrays the legacy of the Curie's science decades after her death. But overall it was a pretty interesting movie.

GregMcP likes this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Le Samourai. This is a great film. Everything it does is pretty archetypal now — the inexpressive, methodically professional, ascetic hit man; the hit-man-double-crossed plot; the quiet, all-business approach — and it still works, because the execution is fantastic. It’s a wonderfully crafted film that takes its time building its straightforward-but-complicated story. It’s full of atmosphere and fascinated by procedure, with long, mesmerizing sequences of the hit man establishing his alibi or losing a tail. Just a great movie. Rightfully iconic.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Number One. Charlton Heston plays an aging quarterback who has to face the end of his career. It’s a fairly unique sports drama; it’s not about a season, not about the gameplay, but about the very particular experience of a successful player having to look into the abyss of life without the thing that has completely defined him his entire life. It focuses on a short period at the start of the season as Heston struggles with whether it’s time to hang it up, fields job offers that don’t appeal to him, contemplates cheating on his distant wife, and is just generally dissatisfied with his options in life at this point. It’s a very solid drama, and Heston is excellent as a man who is looking at an uncertain, unpleasant future but would much rather try to keep living in the past. It’s pretty great if you have any interest in sports, but even if you don’t, it’s an excellent drama.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Fantasy Island 2020

based on the tv series but with a horror slant.
    This was just confusing , they throw in a supernatural element to explain the impossible stuff , and then there's a lot of talk about who's fantasy they're actually in as if to add some twists. I didn't like any of the characters and didn't care about their stories .

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Over The Moon (2020)
    An animated feature film from Netflix. A young Chinese girl has been brought up with a fantastical story about a moon Goddess and her search for her lost love. When tragedy hits he girl's family, she is determined to put her knowledge of science to the test and take a rocket to the moon to see the Goddess herself. It's a delightful movie with a nice soundtrack and an overall Disney-esque feel.

One question to those who've seen it:
    It never explains how her stepmother got that other piece to the amulet, does it? She was the one that gave the cake that it was inside of, right?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    wobbits and pronker like this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Come Play

This is the story of how Larry the iPad monster commits unforced child predator errors like announcing his intentions to the parents beforehand.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Welcome to the #resistance

Wait...I got it confused

16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Speaking of Heston I watched the original Planet of the Apes last night, which was fantastic. Possibly the best ending ever. He's a real movie star, if a bit hammy. But it's part of his charm.

17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I like Heston, not the least reason being because he's so easy for impressionists to do.

christophero30 likes this.
  18. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I like the circus movie he did. The one where Jimmy Stewart plays a clown. The Greatest Show on Earth?

pronker likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yup. Although I've heard it's one of the worst Best Picture winners ever made. I still need to see it.

20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    It's better than Titanic but yeah it's not best picture great.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I would watch Titanic again way, way before I watched The Greatest Show on Earth again. At least Titanic has some ****ing pathos.

Edit: Although, I'll be honest, looking at 1952 in specifically American cinema I'm not exactly sure anything stellar was coming out on top of that crop.

Rylo Ken and christophero30 like this.
  22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I think that's the movie they nicked Indiana Jones outfit from

23. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I know right? Chuck looks just like Indy.

24. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    it's a favorite of Spielberg's , he's often talked of re-creating the train crash as a kid

25. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    The Rise of Skywalker. It was only the second viewing for me, a worthy conclusion to the saga, I think.

pronker and Drac39 like this.