main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I remember when the movie came out and I thought mehhhh, just another gross out movie. When I finally saw it, it was much better than what I had thought it could be. James Gunn's first directorial effort.

Just finished One Night in Miami... on Prime and damn! The telling of one night spent in Miami with friends Muhammed Ali, Malcom X, Sam Cooke and Jim Brown. All the actors do an amazing job with Leslie Odom Jr sounding so much like Same Cooke I had to make sure he wasn't just lip syncing.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yes Slither was a good one. When you watch a lot of bad horror movies you appreciate something good. I remember it being very funny.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The Evil Dead II

Can't really say much about this film that hasn't already been said by others, besides the fact it's easily one of my favorite horror comedy movies. It combines both horror and comedy in a perfect way without going too goofy like Army of Darkness (which I like as well, though definitely the weakest of the Evil Dead trilogy IMO).

So yeah in the immortal words of Bruce Campbell the film is pretty:

[​IMG]
    (Sorry I had to). :p

4. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    me and my friend saw evil dead 2 and were quoting it to each other for a week. [face_rofl]

Chancellor Yoda and GregMcP like this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Nature Morte (2013) – Lucien Castaing-Taylor, Verena Paravel

This short film is a kind of follow-up/companion piece to Leviathan, the deep-sea fishing documentary Castaing-Taylor & Paravel released in 2012. It clocks in at twenty-eight minutes and consists of a single unbroken shot from a camera mounted in the small kitchen/dining area of the fishing vessel featured in Leviathan. For nearly thirty minutes, we just watch as various fishermen stumble wearily into the room, wolf down a quick meal, watch the television that seems to be mounted right above the camera and/or stare blankly into space. Some people will find this even more boring than Leviathan, I reckon, because it doesn’t have the energy and chaos of Leviathan at its most intense. But I found this one to have something that was kind of lacking from Leviathan, which is something close to human connection. These guys don’t talk much to the camera or to each other, but there’s something kind of endearing about watching a guy struggling to stay awake long enough to eat a sandwich or just kind of staring blankly at a TV and occasionally chuckling. This short can be found, by the way, on the Blu-Ray release of Leviathan and, if you make it through Leviathan, I would highly recommend it. If you don’t make it through Leviathan, you’ll probably think this is worse. Anyway, I liked it. 3 stars.

tl;dr – literal “on the wall” documentary is an unbroken shot of weary fishermen coming and going in their tiny kitchen; if you liked Leviathan, this short film is an interesting follow-up. 3 stars.

darthcaedus1138, Havac and pronker like this.
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wonder Woman 1984. Yawn. The stuff with Steve is good. The actors were good. The script was too long and unoriginal.

7. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Rashomon

One of the most beautifully shot and intensely cerebral pictures I've ever seen; I first watched it a few years ago and it went way over my head at the time.

This second viewing went much better for me as I at least get much of what is going on now and some of the major themes Kurosawa is dealing with here.

I'm planning to rewatch this for a third time in a couple months to further solidify and appreciate all of the subtle things going on this picture.

The shots of the sun trying to pierce through the darkness of the forest canopy are unforgettable and quite a beautiful metaphor for the truth attempting to be brought to light.

Also, those rainy establishing shots of the war decimated town and the literal avalanche of water pouring off of the rooftops onto the soppy mud soaked streets is unforgettable.

There is a reason the Rashomon effect is a labeled thing now and it is due to this absolute masterpiece of a motion picture.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

My high school had an ambitious theatre company..we did a full Kabuki theatre version of Rashomon. That's how I was first exposed to that story. The film is obviously amazing.

9. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @solojones
    That's really neat your HS gave a production of Rashomon. I bet that was fun to be a part of and/or watch.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Master_Lok likes this.
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes it was great. The lead was played by a Japanese American actor. I was in tech.

Dagobahsystem and Master_Lok like this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Anastasia

Probably the most Disney-like of the non-Disney animated movies. Has one of the best villain songs, "In The Dark Of The Night."

Charmbracelet, pronker and GregMcP like this.
  12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Just gotta always give love to Evil Dead 2.
    One of the all time great movies.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That's easily my favorite Evil Dead media.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    They Live by Night. Lovers on the run has been done many times, but probably not as well as in this, Nicholas Ray’s first film. Farley Granger plays a Depression-era youth who busts out of prison with a couple older convicts and robs a bank. But when they hide out with one of the con’s brother, he falls in love with the niece, and they take off together to try to make their life, but just can’t escape that criminal past no matter how hard they try. What really makes the film work is that relationship. Where so many noirs have these instantaneous, out-of-nowhere loves that are impossibly passionate but feel rather shallowly formulaic because they’re not really established, this relationship has weight. Ray spends a lot of time on our lovers, and their courtship, passion, and struggles feel honest and real. It’s a genuinely romantic doomed-love story, and Granger and the lovely-but-grounded Cathy O’Donnell are tremendous in selling that young love onscreen. It’s a film that’s just so well-made in every dimension. Writing, directing, and acting are all outstanding and make for a real noir masterpiece.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That's a really good one. Robert Altman did a very good remake under the title Thieves Like Us. It's quite good, but I do prefer the original.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  16. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Return of the Jedi

That was a really good movie, so glad I finally saw it. :p

Wish I knew what viewing number that was for me by now.
    Gotta be way over 50.

17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I've never heard of it! What's it about?

18. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    It's like a Buck Rogers 2001 Kurosawa mythological odyssey with space wizards, a rogue air force, and human eating teddy bears.

It's pretty good!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Juliet316, pronker, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    And the moral of the story is, "Grifters should never try the same con twice, even if they're Sith Lords."

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Ride Your Wave (2019)
    An animated feature film now available on HBO Max. Hinato, a surfer meets and falls in love with a young fireman from her local prefecture. They're together only a short time, as he gets lost at sea. But one day Hinato sings a special song they both liked, and Minato appears in the water. It's a charming and fanciful movie that everyone can enjoy.

christophero30 likes this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    An old episode of Columbo .

I thought I'd seen all the Columbos , but not this one. Martin Landau was the guest star , it was unusual in that we didn't actually know who the killer was (Landau played identical twins and so we couldn't be sure which one did it) .
    it also had some great comedy with Columbo getting yelled at by the housekeeper for dripping his ash everywhere.

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    The Family Man 1998
    Feel good "It's a Wonderful Life" type drama/comedy that was way better than expected. Nic Cage plays a successful single businessman in NYC. On christmas eve he meets an angel (Don Cheadle) who offers him a glimpse at another life. He wakes up in Jersey, married to his ex gf (Tea Leone) with 2 kids and works as a tire salesman. If you're looking for a nice happy movie this is it. Cage and Leone are very good. Some nice shots of the world Trade Center.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Chancellor Yoda, pronker and Sarge like this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But does he have an epic chainsaw fight with Don Cheadle in the film?

24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Nic Cage actually played a normal guy, although he did have a few Nick Cage moments.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Halloween (2007)

A terrible Halloween film, but not too bad of a Rob Zombie movie. Kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, probably the last Zombie film I actually "liked".