main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I've seen Times Square and NYC in the 80's. It was pretty seedy and a lot different than it is now. I have heard the 70's was even worse.

Master_Lok and Dagobahsystem like this.
  2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Dumbo (1941): The shortest Disney animated film and has one of the saddest Disney songs (Baby Mine).

It also featured the voices of actors/actresses who would later voice more Disney characters: Sterling Holloway (the stork; later on would voice Kaa, the Cheshire Cat) and Verna Felton (Mrs. Jumbo and the elephant matriarch; she would later voice the Fairy Godmother, the Queen of Hearts and Flora).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Agreed, but the movie did teach me the song Bless 'Em All, which I dearly love.

Havac and pronker like this.
  4. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    The last movie I saw was... "God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness". I really had wanted to watch Bill & Ted Face the Music but I love both...

5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Night of the Living Dead 1968

This movie had a big impact on me when I first saw it several years ago on some budget DVD I picked up for a couple dollars. In spite of the fact that it looked and sounded so poor, I recognized its importance and felt its impact.

I watched it twice back then and proceeded to wait.

Until now.

Having just yesterday watched the CC blu ray 4K restoration and monaural soundtrack of this film, it's true brilliance has finally been revealed to me.

It was like watching it for the first time!

I'm gonna rewatch it in the next few weeks and write a proper review, but let me just say that if you are a horror fan, a cinema fan, and a fan of flesh eating zombie ghouls, this CC blu ray is a must add to your film collection.

After seeing and hearing this beautiful transfer and presentation, Night of the Living Dead was instantly transported into my top horror films list of all time.

10/10
    Recommended especially for collectors of horror films. This Criterion edition is essential.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Even though I can watch it whenever I want on Disney+, I still have yet to see the live action remake of that movie.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Don't.

Juliet316 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Greenland

In an emoji: :)

Greenland is the non-Roland Emmerich version of 2012. It's a thriller of a film and worth watching; probably not at the $20 rental price, but worthy of a rental.

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Sleeping Beauty

Dagobahsystem, pronker and Master_Lok like this.
  10. ForScience

ForScience Jedi Padawan

Apr 8, 2019
    Someone. made me watch Gravity. It sucked.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Every time I'm reminded of this movie, I'm reminded of when I used to watch Disney movies every day while I babysat my little sister. When we watched Sleeping Beauty, I would impersonate the singing the best I could, pull my sister off the couch and we would twirl around the living room during Once Upon a Dream.

IIIIIII know you, I walked with you once upon a dream...

My sister does not remember this, she was too young, but its one of the most vivid memories I have of us together when she was a little girl.

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    was it a real downer? (gravity pun) I didn't care for it either.

Emperor Ferus and PCCViking like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Woof woof woof WOOF WOOF BOW WOW WOW WOOF WOOF

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Tycoon. John Wayne is one of those actors who did not necessarily have a ton of range, but did one thing extremely well. I thus always enjoy seeing Wayne outside Westerns, because it’s about as close to range as he got to demonstrate.

Here’s he’s playing an engineer building a railroad in the Andes and clashing with the tyrannical, petty, manipulative owner, especially after Wayne falls in love with his daughter, which absolutely infuriates the old man. Will his battle of wills drive him too far?

It is not a particularly noteworthy film, with nothing in particular to recommend it, but it’s not poorly made, either (though forgotten now, it was RKO’s most expensive picture to date, in 1947, and ended up losing a lot of money as a result). It is a respectable two hours of old-school entertainment, and you could do a lot worse than this. It’s just that there’s no particular reason to pick it off the shelf to begin with.

pronker likes this.
  15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Assignment to Kill. I’m calling this one a hidden gem. A late-sixties detective story set in Switzerland, with the international edge of a spy film, it feels like it prefigures the conspiracy movies of the seventies a bit. Its tone is knowing, cynical, its atmosphere paranoid and tense, its characters dark and confident, its plot twisty and deliberately obscure — the end plays quite a bit with the audience’s, and even the characters’, uncertainty about what exactly is going on. It features Patrick O’Neal, one of those guys who got few shots to play a leading man and was clearly enjoying it, as a private eye hired by an insurance company to look into the mysterious sinkings of ships owned by shadowy magnate John Gielgud. He runs up against Gielgud’s dirty-tricks master Herbert Lom, and pairs up with Joan Hackett as a hopelessly naive secretary to the main person of interest, an operative who may have survived his supposed death. It’s the kind of film that didn’t necessarily set out to be more than just another action-thriller, but it’s just dripping with atmosphere and attitude and has quite a solid script and cast. It’s not a well-known film, but it slots quite comfortably into that late-sixties thriller-as-art atmosphere that gave us the likes of Harper, Point Blank, etc. I was quite pleased.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Frank and Ollie 1995

this is a documentary about Disney's Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnson , their life and career. I didn't realise how close they were, they even lived next door . Lovely guys and lots of detail about how they created the emotion in their characters.

pronker and Dagobahsystem like this.
  17. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Häxan
    1922, Tinted/Black and White
    Silent, Swedish Intertitles with English Subtitles

This is a one of a kind documentary about witchcraft in the Middle Ages that switches liberally from matter of fact explanation of the historical details to fantastical reenactments of supposed events.

The director, Benjamin Christensen, seeks to prove that those accused and murdered for witchcraft in the Middle Ages were simply victims who were suffering from hysteria. Or that they were often simply old women with various physical deformities, missing teeth, or bodily tremors or ticks.

He estimates that millions of people were murdered after being accused and then tortured into accusing others of being witches. Other estimates say that 80,000 were murdered in Western Europe as witches.

The film is well shot, especially for the early 1920s. There are some truly creepy moments during some of the dramatic vignettes. There are also several moments of humor, some intententional and some probably due to the movie being almost 100 years old by now.

My only complaint is the music. It is a mixture of beautiful excerpts from brilliant composers Schubert, Gluck, Bruch, and Beethoven that were apparently approved by the director himself, although no records survive of the Swedish premiere in 1922.

The pieces chosen for this blu ray come from the list of pieces used at the Copenhagen premiere less than two months after the Stockholm premiere. As these are assumed to be director approved they are used. Which makes sense and is attempting to be as historically accurate as possible.

Only trouble is, most of these pieces have a rather upbeat, cheerful, even joyful mood to them, which doesn't match the images on the screen at all. And the paired down ensemble that performs them for this CC release have some intonation problems to say the least. There is some very out of tune string playing that hardly seems intentional as it only happens here and there.

Next time I watch Häxan, I'm going to cue up my own soundtrack that would consist of Stravinsky, Schoenberg, and Webern in order to suit the images and mood onscreen better.

You notice I pretty much avoided spoilers about what you actually see onscreen and that was intentional.
    Should you choose to watch this, it's best to be surprised by what is shown, especially considering the time period in which it was released.
    No doubt there were lots of walkouts, people fainting, getting enraged etc..
    I'm planning to research the reception of this film more.

8/10
    I took off 1 pt for the music and 1 pt for pacing.

Master_Lok and pronker like this.
  18. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    That's a fine idea. I've only seen it once and was blown away by its intensity. The pacing is herky jerky and the forceful moments come hurtling at you unexpectedly.

Master_Lok and Dagobahsystem like this.
  19. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Thanks. I'm trying to decide which pieces of theirs would fit best. There are other composers whose works would fit too. Even Mozart's earlier G minor symphony (#25, I think) would be suitably intense in some spots.

Agreed about the pacing. Sometimes a drawing or an image would pop up onscreen and I was quite startled, and then it would sort of slow down.

The cinematography was good though like that shot in the cathedral had great perspective where you could see characters positioned anywhere in the depth of field.
    Several scenes were beautifully shot.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Old Guard Interesting concept for a "superhero" movie, execution falls flat a bit. For ageless undying beings who've been mired in world events for thousands of years, the members of the team make laughably dumb and naive decisions to move the plot along. Too much of it was devoted to setting up a sequel. I guess it's supposed to imply some sort of divine guidance, but the team's deeds coincidentally leading to good things happening doesn't seem like a cure for Andy's nihilism.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Sarge and pronker like this.
  21. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    The last movie I saw was a couple days ago. Major League on Hulu.

pronker likes this.
  22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Watch it with the Rifftrax commentary from Bridget & Mary Jo.

23. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    [​IMG]

24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Diabolique. This French psychological horror film has a pretty great premise. The abusive, cruel headmaster of a school is so awful, his wife and mistress both come together to murder him. But their crime starts unraveling when the body disappears, and the man seems to still be lurking around. The film doesn’t exactly hit heights of terror, but it’s got a good tense atmosphere and a twisty end that doesn’t make a ton of sense but is a great in-the-moment twist. The school setting is a nice touch, with all these riotous kids milling around this hellish school. And the main characters are very good, the absolutely awful husband, the pious and timid wife, and the harsh and arrogant mistress who, despite her weird friendship with the wife, treats her with a sort of contempt. The character dynamics are the strongest part of the movie, with the wife descending into absolute torment over the guilt combined with the irresolution of a murder with no victim.

25. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @Havac

Coincidentally, I received Diabolique in the mail today! I'll read your review after I watch it.

Master_Lok, Havac and Bacon164 like this.