main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Miyagi buys her a dress for the prom.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Flatliners 1990
    If you look up "films that don't age well" in the dictionary you might see this listed. Great cast (Keifer Sutherland, Julia Roberts, Kevin Bacon, Oliver Platt) and directed by Joel Schumaker. The entire film looks like some bad late 80's music video/horror film. This is one of those movies where everyone wears glasses to make them look smarter. Bacon is the only one I could see as a med student. Near death experiences are reduced to childhood memories that come back to haunt the characters. One such scene had a neon graffiti alleyway that looked like an outtake from Batman and Robin.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, it has Michael Ironside and Walton Goggins in it. Which is more reasons than you need to keep it canon within the franchise because, holy hell, bring them in for the series finale of CK, amiright?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  4. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I didn't even think of Ironside in Cobra Kai. That would either be epic or a jump the shark moment.

Sarge likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've only seen the original Karate Kid and its nonsensically titled 2010 remake. I've heard 2 and 3 aren't very good, but I'll give them a shot.

6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Fiona Volpe in "Thunderball", and her counterpart Fatima Blush in the "Never Say Never Again" remake, also stayed villainous after Bond's attentions. Fiona even taunts Bond over it.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Judas and the Black Messiah Happy I wasn't disappointed with this. Stanfield and Kaluuya are great, and Plemons is around being the casting directors' Philip Seymore Hoffman 2.0. It doesn't really sanitize Hampton as I'd feared it would. There was this annoying aspect and typically Hollywood to portray the FBI agents, other than Hoover himself, as acting in good faith because they genuinely believed the Panthers were "just like the Klan."

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Honestly, after Kreese and (presumably) Silver, the only way to top that, villain-wise, would be Michael Ironside. It would be completely crazy, but Cobra Kai has already gone far beyond the "WHERE ARE THE POLICE?!" line of highly-illegal-but-awesome-to-watch actions. Bringing in a (retired?), murder-positive paramilitary leader is about the only place you could go [face_laugh].

2 is actually pretty good. Though the first film is definitely still the most well-made entry in the franchise, the second film has always been my personal favorite because it brings things into "the real world" and not just high school/a tournament. It has a lot of heart and atmosphere, a believable escalation of the stakes and the greatest power ballad of all time.

3 is...not good. Very much feels like a retread and a lowering of stakes after what happens in the second film (by going back to a tournament). But it has some redeeming moments (which Cobra Kai has, so far, done a very good job of developing further- to the point where it legitimately justifies the third film). The main villain is an over-the-top 80's villain and that craziness seems to be the main element people have come to enjoy about it, even if it goes beyond the grounded reality of the first two films.

4/TNKK feels like a TV movie. But the cast makes it at least of interest to some degree, despite the story's much lower quality.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I guess my question is, are the KK sequels better than the Rocky sequels? Keep in mind, I didn't like II, really enjoyed III, hated IV and V. Balboa and the two Creed films are good to great.

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I didn't really care for KK3, but it did kind of lay the subversive groundwork for the series in how a good guy can become a Cobra Kai. The series did it much better.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can't say fairly- I've never seen all of II & III in one sitting so those two are indistinguishably hazy to me since i mix them up (outside of knowing Mr. T and Eye of the Tiger are in III and II is about a rematch with Apollo- but everything outside the "final fight" knowledge bleeds together). I know, I know- it's something I'll be fixing in the coming year (gonna rewatch the first film soon and eventually work my way forward to finally put a pin in II & III).

KK3 probably would be comparable to a blend of elements from III, IV & V, as far as I can tell. Not a direct analog. Not as fully cartoony as IV, but you do have more accentuated villains. Not as boring as V but much more boring than KK1 & KK2.

KK2 is definitely more comparable in quality to Rocky II, III (as I understand them to be) & Balboa. Not as good as the original, more heightened in some regards, but with a lot of qualities that can make you love it.

TNKK is sort of like V if they tried to make it with IV's style and plot and botched it. More cartoony, bad story, but actors you can watch.

Cobra Kai is equal to the Creed films in this comparison, factoring in genre and tonal differences between the two. But I was really impressed by those movies and that show.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    As someone who has actually seen them all ;) I'd say they are about the same. A slight edge to rocky series before the show but now they are both pretty good quality wise, with some notable duds. (KK3 and Next and Rocky 5) Rocky 3 is fantastic.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if it helps any- all three original Karate Kid movies were directed by John Avildsen, who directed Rocky I.

...and Rocky V, which explains a lot of the comparisons here ;).

christophero30 likes this.
  14. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    1. The Karate Kid
    2. Rocky
    3. The Karate Kid Part 2
    4. Rocky 2
    5. On second thought, I'm not continuing with this ranking exercise.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I watched that one last week and thought it was good, especially not knowing about William O’Neal prior to viewing it. His characterization I thought was the best.

pronker likes this.
  16. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Ah, yes, that's true, thanks for reminding me.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    12 Angry Men, for the first time. What a film.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow really? I envy you getting to see it for the first time! I've seen it many times.

heels1785 likes this.
  19. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I watched “The White Tiger” on Netflix. Very good.

pronker and christophero30 like this.
  20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I got the Coma miniseries/remake from 2012. I'm a huge fan of the Michael Crichton directed original; I wonder how this will be. It's 4 hours long, which is either good or bad.

21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Muppet Christmas Carol

pronker likes this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The Pawnbroker (1964)
    Rod Steiger stars as an elderly pawn shop owner who's been haunted by his past where he lost his wife and son during the Holocaust. This is one of those movies that certainly doesn't hold well over the course of time. You understand the premise of the movie but it's very slow at times and the music throughout it kind of takes away from what's going on.

23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar (2021)
    Directed by: Josh Greenbaum

An enjoyable, extremely surreal buddy comedy.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    While the City Sleeps. This Fritz Lang film revolves around a serial killer, but it’s really a semi-noir at best. Lang gets some mileage out of the creepy, menacing killer stalking women, but the film’s real focus is on the corporate jockeying accompanying the media coverage of the crime. When the kingpin of a media empire dies and is succeeded by his no-good son, the race is on between three department heads to see who will become his top manager, and TV anchor Dana Andrews is in the middle as they latch on solving the sensational murders as their ticket to the big job. It’s really a cynical look at the media, dressed up as a serial killer movie. The commentary and office politics are okay, but Lang is clearly at his best when he gets to play with the killer. The end result is a film that’s solid, but a little disjointed, and doesn’t quite live up to the potential of the material. Still very much worth a watch, though.

pronker and Bacon164 like this.
  25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Snows of Kilimanjaro. I think it’s difficult for any movie of his time to really capture the feel and spirit of Hemingway’s writing. This tries, and some of the time it gets close. It’s working from a short story, about a Hemingway-like writer dying of gangrene on safari, reflecting on the feeling that he’s wasted his talent, and helplessly taking out his frustration by being irritable at his caring wife. The film gets that out to feature length by going into much more depth with the flashbacks, which is where it’s weakest. When it’s Gregory Peck on his deathbed, growling and stewing, it’s at its best, though of course it lacks Hemingway’s laconic lyricism and it goes for a Hollywood ending. It’s too bad it’s padded out with lost-love melodrama.

pronker and Bacon164 like this.