main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I agree. I think that there is a rather jarring shift from the Middle Earth depicted in Fellowship of the Ring, which is steeped in high fantasy, with goblins and orcs and elves and trolls, to the more grounded, Norse feel of Rohan, which feels much more human-centric. It almost doesn't feel like the same 'universe'.

It almost feels churlish to criticise Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy though, because I think that they remain a landmark in epic filmmaking. Gollum was a triumph. Amazing that such a pivotal character was done so well.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    pronker and darkspine10 like this.
  2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Some Voices (2000)
    Daniel Craig is a schizophrenic just released from hospital into the care of his long-suffering brother (David Morrisey). Kelly McDonald is the pregnant love-interest who's just broken up with her violent boyfriend.

It's a drama that is at times sweet, at times funny, and at times tense and disturbing. I enjoyed it.

pronker likes this.
  3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I'll post my reviews in the other thread but I watched Jojo Rabbit, The man from u.n.c.l.e, and enter the dragon.

4. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Zack Snyder's Justice League.

Watched it on Saturday and it was a really enjoyable experience for me. They really did a terrific job with this film, especially regarding details and backstory for the characters.

I will write a more detailed review after a rewatch, hopefully soon.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Amazon's The Lie

In an emoji: [face_plain]

The trailer for The Lie present a suspenseful thriller, but the story doesn't unfold that way. The film is mostly a cover up of a crime type film and the tangled webs that come with trying to weave the elements of the lie together. So, that's when the pace of the film drags. The contemplations of what to do next is what gets the scenes from one to the next, and it's not very interesting and really not that compelling. The only real tense moments occur when the girl of the missing daughter appears on screen.

The film is emotionally flat, the characters are very unempathetic and the ending will probably upset many viewers.

pronker likes this.
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Singin’ in the Rain. There are some genres that just aren’t my thing, and musicals are one. Song-and-dance numbers do nothing for me. But for a classic like this, I’ll give it a shot. And while the singing and dancing continued to do nothing for me, it’s a pleasant movie with plenty of laughs in between, and I enjoyed it just fine. It’s amusing to see that even in the fifties, Hollywood was going in strong for nostalgia about its own history, something it hasn’t been shy about returning to; there’s nothing Hollywood loves more than telling stories about Hollywood. It’s telling that the consensus pick for greatest Hollywood musical is a Hollywood musical about how great Hollywood musicals are. Luckily, it’s full of solid laughs, Debbie Reynolds is charming, and Jean Hagen is a hilarious foil. It’s certainly entertaining.

pronker, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The Return of the King (2003). Since I have little interest in DC and the Snyder Cut, I figured I'd watch the one other 4+ hours movie I know :p

What's there to say though really? It's a great climax, go watch it, that's about all that it needs ;)

Not quite as good as Fellowship, but still a magnificent movie, successfully juggling about 4 or 5 different strands in the middle and tying them all up expertly by the end. And Into the West is the best credits song, hands down.

8. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    This credits song is the best from LotR imo.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Nah Into the West is the best one.

darkspine10 likes this.
  10. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Nah Gollum's Song is the best one.

Bacon164 likes this.
  11. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    These tears we cry / Are falling rain
    For all the lies you told us / The hurt, the blame
    And we will weep / To be so alone
    We are lost / We can never go home

Ahem.

Avalon (2001, Mamoru Oshii).

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Into the West is fantastic. FotR's May It Be is better.

darkspine10 likes this.
  13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Guys I rewatched Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice and learned that they are the best superhero films ever made.

darthcaedus1138, pronker and Rylo Ken like this.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    ew how can you like that dc garbage marvel is best wakanda forever

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

:p

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd probably go Into the West, then Gollum's Song then whatever Fellowship's song was. ITW captures the end of a sad journey perfectly, Gollum's is as tragic as the character and Fellowship's I don't remember.

darkspine10 likes this.
  17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    May It Be is definitely the worst one, but In Dreams is actually the best LOTR end credit song, so hat's off to Fellowship.

darkspine10 likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Dragonquest (2009)
    When the opening credits spelled out "From The Asylum" I knew I was in trouble. Marc Singer was the big-name actor they hired for respectabllity; he's really fallen a long way since his glory days as Beastmaster. The obligatory scantily-clad martial arts chick was disappointing too; cut rate Lucy Lawless wannabe in a Xena Halloween costume from Walmart. And those were the best parts.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Last of Sheila. In this star-studded seventies murder mystery, bigshot producer James Coburn gathers together a bunch of Hollywood types for a complicated scavenger hunt party to memorialize the anniversary of his wife’s death, but he seems to be setting up to expose her hit-and-run killer. It’s a good premise for an elaborate whodunnit, and the movie pulls it off well enough. It’s overcomplicated, but it works, and it’s entertaining as it quietly parodies these show business types (the whole movie is basically an elaborate in-joke, written by Anthony Perkins and Stephen Sondheim, inspired by the elaborate parties like this they’d throw for their friends, and all the characters are based on actual people). It’s not the tightest this kind of thing has ever been plotted, but it all clicks well enough and the cast sells it.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    watched bugsy malone (1976) for the first time last night - lots of fun, and a good musical. jodie foster was a special guest host on tcm last night, gave some insight into the making of the film and her performance as a 14 y/o.

pronker and Gamiel like this.
  21. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Godzilla vs. Kong

That. Was. EPIC!

I just saw it on a large cinema screen, and my jaw was dropped from start to end.

It gives you everything you’d want from a monster film and more. The action was absolutely insane. And there was plenty of it. They didn’t waste time building unneeded story or spend too long focusing on boring human characters like the last films in the series. Most of the humans were pretty good in this one actually. There are some brilliant unexpected elements to the film. At one point I felt like I was watching Interstellar.

The cinematography was incredible, especially during night time in Hong Kong with all of the neon lights, and in that whole unexpected sequence half way through, which I won’t spoil. The sound design and score were epic as well.

8.5/10.

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Iron Man

And I'm going to see City of Lies this afternoon.

Juliet316 and pronker like this.
  23. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I do not generally have that large a chunk of time for watching, would it work (at least somewhat) to see it in 1 hour chunks?

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not directed at me, but there's a pretty good break point at the halfway (2-hour) mark (essentially after the first team fight against Steppenwolf under the harbor). It kind of feels like the end of a "Part 1" movie at that point.

They do have it broken into 7 chapters with title cards (and the chapters are marked on the UI progress bar), so, theoretically, you can take them in smaller chunks pretty decently- though you may lose some momentum taking them all one at a time. I didn't check but I don't think there's a clean 1-hour mark break point between chapters, however.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    pronker likes this.
  25. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Hobo with a Shotgun

Gory, absurd neo-grindhouse movie fun with the always underrated Rutger Hauer stealing the whole film as the likable title character. The rest of the cast are great as well and if you like your grindhouse films with a mean spirited edge, this film has it in abundance. Definitely not a film for everyone, but I've always enjoyed these sorts of unrepentant, black humored and admittedly somewhat trashy type of movies.