main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Rembrandt. An Alexander Korda biopic, it follows the great painter through triumph and tragedy, with a grand performance from Charles Laughton at the center. It shows Rembrandt as a man compelled to create his art, devoted to it amidst a turbulent life of romance and loss, success and poverty. It’s a pretty standard biopic as far as all that goes, but it’s consistently enjoyable on the back of Laughton’s talents and the lavish Korda look.

pronker likes this.
  2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Hanover Street 1979 Its been a long time since I saw this, easily more than 35 years. Back then I clearly remember not enjoying it too much and it was probably based on Harrison being more of an action hero with Han Solo and Indiana Jones and thats what I wanted to see him doing. So with fresh (and much older) eyes I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would do.

Its a simple story, Ford plays Halloran, a US pilot stationed near London who meets Margaret on Hanover Street, a married nurse played by Lesley-Anne Down. They start an affair, but she won't reveal to him her surname or what he husband does. The first 2 acts of the film then follows Halloran and his squadron on his bombing missions and the romance building between the 2 of them. We also meet her husband, Paul played by Christopher Plumber, who is an intelligence agent. He is responsible for British agents in France who are being killed by the Germans, he believes that theres a double agent in the British army and he plans a mission to France to break in to the German headquarters and find evidence of their double agents stationed in London.

In the final act we follow Pauls plan, which involves Halloran flying the agent over France to parachute in and execute the mission. But at the last minute Paul decides he wants to do the job himself, he speaks German and wants to prove himself. But the plane is shot down over France and in a twist of fate leaves Halloran and Paul as the only survivors, so they must team up to complete the mission. Dressed as German officers they break in, find the information but have to fight their way back out pursued by the Germans. Whilst they hold up for the night in a barn both men recount their stories of the love of their life and Halloran finds out that this is Margarets husband. Betrayed by a local they must escape together to the rescue point, but Paul is injured in the pursuit and Halloran saves his life.

Back in London Pauls recovering in hospital, Halloran visits him and on the way out sees Margaret, they agree to never see each other again and in a tear jerking ending she rushes to see her husband as Halloran goes out in to the hustle and bustle of Hanover Street alone.

This is Ford in an early leading man role and already hes showing glimpses of what marked him out as a actor capable of carrying a film on his own. This isn't his best work, but its an easy watch, I think it seems quite low budget too and its a whos who of actors that appear in this where you say "thats whatshisname from that filmwhatsitcalled". Maybe it could have added more flesh on the bones as it seems quite lightweight, not great but not bad.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Raya and The Last Dragon (2021)
    Wow. That was an excellent movie. I'd been eager to see it since the theatrical release, but I was reluctant because of the pandemic. The story involves a fantastical journey with magic and dragons set in an Asian background long ago.

Among my personal takeaways was the leading female characters, which would typically garner my interest immediately. Also the story itself where the protagonists and antagonists aren't just boring one-dimensional beings (good vs. evil). Maybe Disney borrowed a little of that novel storytelling from Studio Ghibli.

PCCViking, Master_Lok and pronker like this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Love with the Proper Stranger (1963)

What happens when you get knocked up in the 60s? Well shenanigans ensue obviously! Natalie Wood plays a woman who has to suffer the consequences of sleeping with an aloof jazz musician played by Steve McQueen, and though much of the premise is treated lightly, they do get to portray their characters as nuanced individuals. They both bring great charm to their roles, McQueen especially does well as a subversion of his usual "cool guy" roles as this guy who's kinda thrown for a loop by the whole situation; his acerbic wit really stands out in the environment of a romantic comedy, and Wood more than keeps up with him with her own fiery personality, making the pair of them a highly enjoyable couple to watch.

Credit due- for such a touchy subject at the time the film does treat Wood's character with respect when she elects to have an abortion, things only go south because of who they got to perform the abortion, not because she realized abortions are terrible or some such. And even when that plan falls through the film plays with the notion that "welp, he knocked her up guess they have to get married", which results in some great comedic interactions courtesy of Wood's overbearing Italian big brothers. Really though it's just great to see McQueen as someone who's consistently flummoxed by circumstances he can barely navigate through.

Master_Lok and pronker like this.
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Funny Hanover Street story. I read the Making of Temple of Doom book long ago. On Ford's birthday, Spielberg brought Barbara Striesand to set. Ford was tied up when Mola Ram makes him drink the blood. Barbara playfully had a plastic whip and was whipping him saying "this is for Hanover Street!"
    (it's actually a decent movie with a nice score)

Sarge, AndyLGR and pronker like this.
  6. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Pirates (1986)

Or as it was promoted back at the time <insert nervous pause> ... Roman Polanski's Pirates.

That was well before his name became so toxic. But still this was always a pretty obscure movie. I originally saw it on cable TV and I don't think it ever got a US home video release. When I tried to find a physical copy of it years ago I had to settle for a foreign VHS copy off of eBay. Easy enough to find on YouTube these days though. If only I were a prophet I could have saved the 15 bucks.

But anyway, this was basically Pirates of the Caribbean before Pirates of the Caribbean (the movie, not the ride). As pirate comedies go it's on the more serious end of the scale with Yellowbeard on the other and PotC in between. The score ain't half bad either.

Maybe the funniest thing about it is Walter Matthau, in the lead role, with one of the most horrendous attempts at a British accent I've ever witnessed.

Sarge, pronker and christophero30 like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    John Hannah is always great. However, his character, in the first film, was not. He was given depth in the second film, then reverted back to his one-note self for the third film. He wasn't the worst thing about the first film (the old British pilot that the film didn't know what to do with probably takes the cake there), though it's been awhile since I've rewatched the first film so I might be forgetting another character whose worse. But he was one of the worst things.

8. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Hannah was very good in 4 Weddings and a Funeral.

9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I’m hoping that Jungle Cruise evokes Indiana Jones / The Mummy.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mentioning MCU rewatches over in the MCU thread, worth noting that Hannah has a great character in the second half of Season 3 & most of 4 of Agents of SHIELD as well.

Juliet316, pronker and christophero30 like this.
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    We'll get the point in the end. Its a paradox. (A pair of docks) The Rock better be a punnin captain.

PCCViking likes this.
  12. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Of the Battleship Potemkin?

christophero30 likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's at least a 60% chance The Rock gets to make a joke about scorpions in that movie somehow.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I'd laugh if Dwayne Johnson makes a joke about bad cgi. :p

16. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Marriage Story

The plot is straightforward. A sensitive, talented couple are in the process of getting a divorce, which gets messy once the lawyers get involved, while they attempt to preserve as much of their lives with their young son and their friendship in tact.

ScarJo and Adam Driver are both excellent in this picture; showing a wide variety of range and emotion in their performances from humorous to heartbreaking.

As for the lawyers who really make things more difficult for these good people, they are played brilliantly by Laura Dern, Alan Alda, and Ray Liotta.

This film is very thoughtful, subtle, and it's opposite and was very intense to watch at times, and hypnotic, the acting is so realistic at times. It's not flawless, but better than the average movie that comes out for sure in that category.

I don't see a lot of relationship dramas like this, but I would highly recommend this picture if you just want to watch some talented actors deliver awesome performances.

gezvader28, pronker and Coruscant like this.
  17. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Die Another Day (2002), the last of the Brosnan Bonds. Entertaining, Halle Berry kicked ass as Jinx. Madonna's appearance amounted to little more than a cameo, but I think she pulled it off rather well.

pronker likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Hereditary (2018)
    You know, I think I'm ready to watch Disney's Luca when it's available on D+ soon. Having watched Ari Aster's Midsommer last week on Hulu I figured I'd give his critically acclaimed first one a shot. Toni Collette and Gabriel Bryan star in this film about a family who appears to haunted after the recent death of a secretive family matriarch.

Where the newer movie was more psychological and natural, this older one gets into the supernatural and more controversial subjects. By that frame of mind, Hereditary was less realistic than Midsommer. Both movies were remarkably disturbing, but for me I found Midsommer creepier because it wholly involved real people doing real things. Of course both movies require a YouTube video explanation, or second rewatch, to understand everything that went on.

19. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Bruce Almighty

Hard to believe this film is 18 years old, and although it has some dated moments, many of the gags are still quite funny, especially the Niagara Falls eroding scene and when Jim Carrey is making Steve Carell's character fumble his newscast. Jennifer Aniston is a sweet presence in the film too. Morgan Freeman plays god who hands his powers over to Jim and there you have it.

Good, likeable cast in a very silly, fast paced movie that is a decent way to kill some time if you're looking for light comedy entertainment. Feels very 90s even though it came out in 2003.

I've yet to see the sequel Evan Almighty which follows Carell's character apparently.

Ahsoka's Tano, pronker and Sarge like this.
  20. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I watched Harry Potter: Half Blood Prince yesterday.

pronker likes this.
  21. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Too bad you’re not a piece of garbage, might have enjoyed it more

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah, Half Blood Prince was the weakest of the HP films, only surpassing Prisoner of Azkaban in that regard.

23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    ... wait ; what?

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Vegas Vacation

I’d never seen this before. I’d heard for decades the movie wasn’t very good and never sought it out. I recently watched the first three Vacation Films so finally watched Vegas Vacation. I thought it was funny and was largely on the same level as the first three. It has moments as good as any of the other films in the series.

The movie came out in 1997 so seen through the veil of time as a movie new to me also helped the film. Instead of the actors looking 8 years older than Christmas Vacation, they look 24 years younger than they are today. If the movie felt old fashioned or tired in 1997 - it feels true to the stile and spirit of the three entrees made in the 1980s.

Also there is more of a consistent story arch with the characters in the four vacation films than I realized. I like how Cousin Eddie in this film return’s Clark’s generosity from the earlier films. That might be the biggest change for a character in the series.

Glad I finally watched this.

AndyLGR, pronker and Coruscant like this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Longest Day (1962)
    It's epic, it's all-star, and it's about as accurate and realistic as you can expect for a big-budget movie of its era. Compared to Saving Private Ryan, it's positively sanitized, but it's a very different movie and gives a much more comprehensive big picture of the battle, as opposed to SPR's close-up snapshot of a handful of soldiers. You'd think they could have shown more blood since it was shot in black & white. I guess they figured that audiences wouldn't want to see that.