main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    A Quiet Place part II - went to the movie theater for the first time in over a year! Really enjoyed the movie, not as much as the first, but it was still a solid sequel and definitely a movie that should be seen in theaters.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The Spy Who Came In from the Cold (1965)

Based on one of John le Carré's spy novels, this is about a British spy who's sent into East Germany to sow discord within the Soviet Intelligence Agency in Berlin. Richard Burton stars as the spy, and he's very much the antithesis of that other popular spy of the era. Burton's spy isn't the most dashing fellow, doesn't have great manners, and pulls more than a few dirty stunts in his mission to ruin a man's career for the sake of gaining the upper hand in the Cold War spy games. He also doesn't travel to gloriously exotic locales, instead spending his time in East Berlin, which has languished under Soviet rule for almost two decades at this point.

Of course this being based on a le Carré work it has plenty of twists and turns and clever callbacks that are all part of gambits within gambits, so it's just as exciting as a Bond film, even if there's no big fights or explosions. (Burton even punches a character played by Bernard Lee, making it almost a meta take that at Bond) Burton's great of course, as is Oskar Werner as the main Soviet intelligence operative Burton interacts with. For a contemporary take on Cold War espionage, it's surprisingly nuanced in its portrayal of the opposing sides of the spy game, giving shades of grey to both and making it difficult to entirely root for the "good guys", other than Burton's spy who's more a pawn than gamemaster.

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Anyone else seen the Soviet film Stalker (1979) by Andrei Tarkovsky?

It's basically "Nothing Happens: The Movie"... but I strangely really enjoyed it.

pronker likes this.
  4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    A good movie, with a great performance from Burton. But, gads, "gray" is right. It's a very depressing story.

soitscometothis likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    When Harry Met Sally (1989)
    Loveable quirky characters and so many hilariously quotable lines. Sure, the 80's fashions and big hair are dated, but the story is timeless.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I strongly identify with the humiliation of singing Surrey With The Fringe On Top in front of Ira. Been there.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    But did you make a woman meow?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    No, my name is Sheldon. It’s the name. Doesn’t work. I can do your taxes, but I can’t make a woman meow.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Not even if you're having what she's having?

10. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I would be proud to partake of her pecan pie.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Would you like your pecan pie a la mode?

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I watched Alien vs Predator Requiem.
    Yeah. [face_beatup]

Darth_Foo, CT-867-5309 and pronker like this.
  13. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Burlesque (2010) ... The song numbers are fine, but the movie's a slog. Obvious plot. Generic love interest. It feels even longer than it is, yet the storylines resolve too fast. Christina Aguilera plays the lead. She's of course a phenomenal singer and performer. As for her acting? Umm. Passable. A little awkward in places. I don't think this movie shoulda scared her away.

Cher runs the club. She's a big sister to the ladies. Transfer "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me" to a better, more memorable movie.

There's this scene where Christina leaves the dude's place, dressed up, and she says that she's been getting male attention. I kinda wanted her car to break down in the hood. Anyway, here's a song I like:

Btw, I'd like to hire Stanley Tucci as my butler and makeup artist and friend. You'll instantly recognize who that is.

christophero30 and pronker like this.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Luca. Pixar. Masterpiece. As usual.

15. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Midsommar
    Wow this movie was messed up. Group of college friends go to a Swedish commune where everything is a little off. Deeply disturbing follow up from the Hereditary director. I had a knot in my stomach for most of the movie. I don't know if I liked it or not but it is clearly a very good film in its own way. Not for all tastes. Deals with abandonment, grief, and the need for belonging, but in a very bizarre way. Like the Wicker Man on an acid trip. Not for the faint of heart, but there is a lot going on in this movie, and the director is very talented.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Chyna (2021)
    A documentary about the woman once deemed "The Ninth Wonder of the World" in wrestling. I'm really not a huge wrestling fan at all, especially now; but during the 90s and early 2000s there were some interesting characters, especially the women that weren't just about being eye-candy. Chyna took things to another level; she wouldn't just wrestle against men like a damn publicity stunt, she'd beat them and beat them bad. This documentary goes through her story, from the beginning of her wrestling career to her tragic death in 2016.

One thing that caught my eye in particular was early in the movie she goes to a comic convention in Garden City, NY in 2015 for autographs and I know I was there and saw her at the time! I don't think I got her autograph but I'm almost positive I did sneak a picture of her at the table. I just have to find it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Underwater 2020
    Decent Abyss type underwater action film. Kristen Stewart plays a mechanical engineer (really) on a oil drilling rig 6 miles down on the ocean floor. It's not a bad film, kind of an Aliens under water type of film. One of the characters is very funny. Almost plays like an outer space creature film, only underwater. Some thrills to be had if you do not expect too much.

Sarge and pronker like this.
  18. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    It's one of those eerie blends of RL and fandom interests - I hope you find the photo.

19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Con Air

Beautiful, over the top 90's action cheese at it's finest.

With a Nic Cage Oscar worthy performance to boot.

[​IMG]

20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I still have to see that movie.

21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Con Air is a fun movie with a great cast.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  22. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    It's the most Michael Bay movie but not actually directed by Michael Bay movie ever. I mean that in both the good and bad ways.

23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'Con Air' is one of those ridiculous movies that assaults you. Worth every entertaining minute

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  24. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Dark City

If you were to tell me that this movie specifically isn't what made Ridley Scott adopt Dariusz Wolski as his go-to DP, I'd call you a liar.

Drac39 and Count Yubnub like this.
  25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Watching Midsommar again. Enjoying it much more the second time around as I can catch all the foreshadowing and Easter eggs. It also has much more humor than Hereditary, which was good but relentlessly grim.

Drac39 and Bacon164 like this.