main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Aren't you a fan of The Northman?

Sarge and Thena like this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Das Boot: The Director's Cut

All 208 minutes. What a voyage. There are some gorgeous shots on the surface, and the music is stirring. Love all the food hanging all over the sub. All the extra personal stuff helps you get attached to the crew and hope for their safety. I had forgotten about that ending, though.

pronker, Sarge, Coruscant and 3 others like this.
  3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Best submarine film.

4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Das Boot is great.

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I was very happy to catch the theatrical reissue

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Napoleon Dynamite

Breezy, silly, humorous, and highly quotable. It's not everyones style of humor, but I sure get a kick out of it everytime I see it. Good cast. Definitely a one of a kind movie.

Stay for the post credits scene.

Benny and Joon

This a thoughtful, tender, and humorous film about a young woman who struggles with mental illness and who is cared for by her brother who seems to leave no time for himself aside from caring for Juniper and working as a mechanic.

Sam, played by Johnny Depp, arrives in their home after Joon looses at cards with one of Benny's friends who put "Sam" in the pot as it were, and Sam brings much hope, joy, and laughter into their lives with his quirky obsession with classic comedians like Buster Keaton and Charles Chaplin whom he brilliantly imitates much to the delight of Joon and everyone who sees his "performances." Depp is pretty adorable in the role and it was refreshing to watch a movie without any cgi, swearing, gunfire, etc...

Benny and Joon is a slow paced and thoughtful character study that deals with a complex and painful issue in a generally peaceful and light way.

It was a really neat bonus to hear Chris Cornell singing Pushing Forward Back in one scene in which Sam is cleaning the kitchen.
    This is a good movie.

Coincidentally, I believe both of these films are 98 minutes.

pronker and christophero30 like this.
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Mara Maru. A sunken-treasure adventure-noir hybrid, Mara Maru is the rare late-period Errol Flynn film that’s actually decent. Not spectacular, but decent. Flynn plays a salvage captain in the Philippines whose partner is murdered over a treasure that went down with their old PT boat during the war. He teams up with a bunch of blatantly shady characters chasing the treasure, led by Raymond Burr, to recover it, while rekindling an uneasy romance with his partner’s widow, whom he used to go with. It’s got just enough atmosphere, with its unique diving-for-treasure-in-the-Philippines setting, and just enough star power from Flynn, to get away with the fairly generic script and deliver the requisite thrills.

pronker and Coruscant like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Black Phone- Really solid horror film with a neat premise. Another entry in the plethora of really good movies we're getting spoiled with this year so far.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Scream (2022)

The latest film of the franchise features a new cast (as far as I know, I can't recall if I've seen any of the sequel films and these kids are far too young to have been in the original of course) along with legacy characters including Dewey, Gale, and Sidney). There's really not much to say about this film that wouldn't have been said in the previous half dozen films or however many sequels there's been. A new killer is running amok around the town of Woodsboro, and there's some kind of motive towards this that keeps you guessing as to who could it be. It's not scary of course. When I think of legit scary movies that would keep me up at night, I'd think Hereditary or Summerland; or the paranormal activity movies. This movie is all about cheesy dialogue and really dull characters you don't really care about. I liked the original Scream because it was a novelty of it's time. This movie just takes the same idea saturated already a half dozen times prior. Bringing back the legacy characters doesn't help. The only thing I did appreciate were the Easter Eggs and obviously nods to Wes Craven.

One question the movie didn't seem to answer,
    how did Sidney know that Sam was Billy's biological daughter? Was it just because she looks a little like him?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Scream isn't really meant to be that scary- those films are more about the satire. And 5cream did at least have something new to say and focus on in that regard that made it feel distinct despite the "yet another copycat killer" structure that the sequels all springboard off of. As long as there's a new trend in Hollywood releases across genres, there can be new Scream films.

Thena likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "Hey Amleth, who do you feel like murdering today?"

"Whoever I feel like murdering, gosh."

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But it's still classified in the horror genre, right? That's the only reason I was comparing it to some of those others of the last twenty years.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I may have misread your initial post- it seemed to me like you were saying that it not being scary was one of your primary criticisms of it, so I was responding to that with the series generally having few scary moments while focusing on other ideas. But it looks like you were stating that yourself, so nevermind on that account :).

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    In a way, it was partially my criticism of it; I mean you suggested it's meant to be satire. I thought that was reserved for the parody films like the Scary Movie franchise. My point is that I'm just not sure what the Scream films are supposed to be. I mean yeah, it makes fun of itself pretty much throughout the film; but at the end of the day you'd assume people expected to be somewhat thrilled and a little scared. I felt neither with this one.

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Mr Malcolm's List (2022)

If you appreciate quality movie making, you should definitely check this one out. A slight variation on Jane Austen romantic stories, this one stands out for having a cast that's primarily made up of POC; the gorgeous and very charming Frieda Pinto delivers a standout performance as the heroine of the story.
    Very happy to have watched this one in a theater and looking forward to revisiting when it's available for home viewing.

pronker and Count Yubnub like this.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Lightyear. I can totally see why this is Andy’s favourite movie.

pronker, Sarge and Thena like this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Satire is different than spoof or parody. The Scream films don't focus on the scares as much as the mystery (of the killers identity) and satire (through exposing and playing into, or against, genre and general film cliches, tropes and trends). They usually have one or two jump scares and a couple key sequences with tension or suspense in them, but that's about it. Maybe a level of horror with making you feel disturbed once the killers are revealed and the discomfort that one can get from the gore of the various kills. But it's not really a constant thing that they're aiming for more than delivering the suspicion and message.

One thing that helps is that the franchise isn't necessarily making fun of itself just because it is self-aware (though the opening to Scre4m probably qualifies as self-parody). And most of the sequels have focused on broader subjects affecting films not only outside of the series but outside of the genre (threequels, reboots, legacy characters, toxic fan culture, etc). So it's not stuck inside of a box in that regard.

18. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The Forgiven
    I like Jessica Chastain and Ralph Fiennes and think they are both great actors so this seemed interesting to me. They are a wealthy couple who runs over a kid on the way to a party in Morocco and the fallout that ensues after. Pretty much most of the characters are unsavory people and the ending is telegraphed about 30 minutes in so the next 90minutes is kind of a slog to get there. Aside from some pretty shots in the desert, there's not much I would recommend about this one.

pronker likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The films have actually kind of gone for different kinds of horror, I think. I find the first one quite horrifying in terms of, especially, that opening kill with Drew Barrymore and then the climax in the kitchen is very disturbing. The second one is less horrifying, but a bit scarier. Like the sequence with Dewey and Gail in the . . . whatever building? News building? Whatever, you know the one with the one way windows and the sound-proof rooms. That's scary. The third one . . . is just nothing really. Fourth one is more into the disturbing nature of the killer and their motivations. I found the brutality of the new one pretty unsettling. That opening for instance, but there are several moments where the camera just lingers on the violence until we just watch the characters die. Those moments are unsettling. But I genuinely cared about the characters in the new one. Sounds like you just didn't connect to them. Like the opening was as horrifying as it was to me because I genuinely didn't want that character to die and isn't she the one who just gets like four or five brutal stabs to the back while she's laying on the ground face-down? I mean, ****. Anyway, mileage may vary; I tend to not find the Scream movies that scary, outside of a few moments here or there. I do find some of them very disturbing and I feel like they tend to both have better characters and tend to actually linger on the deaths in a more disturbing way than most slashers.

Look, am I going to do a full franchise review retrospective in October this year? May . . . be. Like 70% probable? I need to do it; every one of those films is interesting to talk about, even the third one which is actually more interesting to talk about than to watch.

The2ndQuest and Thena like this.
  20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Face/Off. This may be the most insane action movie ever made. Absolutely nothing that happens makes any sense, starting from the premise that Nicolas Cage and John Travolta switch faces, and everything is kept at an incredibly high pitch of operatic madness for the entire movie. John Woo has crafted a two-and-quarter-hour bubble in which realism has absolutely no purchase. It’s ridiculous and stupid and often in absurdly bad taste, full of icky moments like Travolta-as-Cage ogling Travolta’s daughter. It’s also way more fun than it has any right to be.

This is a good-bad movie for bad movie connoisseurs. It may have the single most impressive collection of absolutely insane Nicolas Cage facial expressions of any film ever made. It has Cage playing at maximum intensity as an absurdly theatrical villain, and then it has Travolta doing a Cage impression for most of the movie (Cage does not bother doing a Travolta impression, even though he is playing Travolta for most of the movie, because Cage is constitutionally incapable of being anyone but Nicolas Cage). It has absurdly flamboyant John Woo action sequences, full of sideways leaps and fireworks explosions and doves fluttering and shattering glass and all the other exquisitely overdone choreography you expect. It has ludicrous dedication to its themes about family and the straightest face any movie this campy could ever put to its madness. It has a bunch of stuff left over from being a sci-fi script that it doesn’t even bother to change. It has a scene where the villain gives the hero’s daughter life advice and a butterfly knife. It has Thomas Jane with a giant permed frizzy hairdo. It opens with Cage dressed as a priest, dancing like a lunatic and grabbing a choir girl’s ass. It even has a deliciously ironic scene in which Danny Masterson gets his ass beat for attempted sexual assault.

Every moment of this film is completely bug**** crazy, in a “how did they ever think this was what audiences would go for?” way. It’s an absolutely terrible film. But it is perfectly executed as unhinged good-bad-movie fun.

21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Lost Weekend. In the golden age of Hollywood, films were made to be crowd-pleasers. Comedies, thrillers, war movies, family movies, musicals, they were made to make the audience go home happy. This is not a movie to make anybody happy. Billy Wilder crafted a dark, confrontational portrayal of alcoholism, a problem rampant at the time, but a subject Hollywood preferred to play for laughs. Ray Milland plays a self-loathing alcoholic who descends into a spiral of desperation and degradation over a long weekend binge, and the film doesn’t pull its punches until the requisite hopeful ending, but even there Wilder doesn’t go too far. It’s a drama that still stands up, a serious, aggressive film with a potent message.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The real question is: will you be including Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back? ;)

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    @Rogue1-and-a-half : All these words. Blacklist is still on the air, you know. You could still review it. Elizabeth is waiting.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ...how? I watched the first 2 or 3 seasons and it was seriously treading water back then.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Official Competition (2022)
    [​IMG]

As a huge fan of Penelope Cruz and Antonio Banderas, this movie was a complete, absolute, and total delight to watch. The idea of Cruz playing an arrogant and annoying world-renown film director already sold me on the idea for the movie since I first watched the previews.
    And yet the trailer itself barely gives you any idea for what you can expect out of this rollercoaster of a movie that deftly defies expectations as it navigates a sea of dramedy and pitch-black humor, with many unexpected and delightful twists and turns along the way that are not for the faint of heart.
    This is definitely like a Sunset Blvd. for the 21st century. Highly recommended.