main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Yeah the first one is untouchable to me. But 2 is at least pretty close. "I'm gonna blame the movies" is classic

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    DarthTunick and CT-867-5309 like this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Raya and the Last Dragon (2021)

Things keep working out for Disney when they create a story based on the general myths of a certain region, so here Southeast Asia gets a go, and we get a really fun action adventure film out of it. We get a new princess/chief's daughter in Raya, a spunky young warrior who's thrust into an unfortunate situation when her father's peace talks with the leaders of the various regions goes horribly awry and an ancient evil is set loose. The most original premise perhaps not, but it works well here as Raya travels to each region to find all the pieces of the mystical orb that will help banish the evil Druun and save the world. Along the way she finds the titular last dragon, Sisu, a big ball of energy voiced by the ever energetic Awkwafina, who brings much levity to a pretty freakin' dark plot. The two work together to find the remaining pieces, assembling an eclectic group of adventurers along the way, with each member representing each different region, a sort of international fellowship as it were. ;)

There's a lot to enjoy here, from great wuxia-esque fights to compelling character arcs for both the protagonists and antagonists. There's no straight up villain either, the one character who opposes Raya the most is a very nuanced and complex character who's far from evil, and only does what she thinks is best for the people of her region. The whole thing is a fascinating study on both greed and self-preservation, and Raya sort of unintentionally realizes her father's dream of uniting the regions when her own team comes together. It's a good microcosm of the greater situation of the land, and naturally becomes the key to defeating the Druun. There's definitely more than one lesson stuffed into Raya's quest, but it's all plainly laid out and deftly woven into her personal story so it's never overbearing or hamfisted. And even if the plot doesn't do much for you the action is certainly fun and entertaining, and everything in the film just looks amazing. Not just animation-wise but also in regards to the various settings and their connections to various Southeast Asian cultures and designs. There's a little of something for everyone, and the special spice of the regional origin helps it stand out even further as a fun and unique film.

darkspine10, Sarge and Guidman like this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I almost mentioned how absurdly good looking Timothy Olyphant is in this movie.

I think it does, doesn't it? Randy says that it doesn't count as a sequel because it was the middle chapter of a trilogy that was planned from the beginning. I . . . disagree, but whatever.

christophero30 likes this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yeah that ESB not being a sequel thing bothers me. Mainly because it is not true(SW is not LOTR it was not all mapped out) ) and because people would quote it as if it were gospel.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Am I bad if, now as an adult, I hate Randy? I thought he was so fun as a tween.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I mean, I think we can all agree it's Jamie Kennedy's best work and still have plenty of room to disagree about how good it is. I actually like Kennedy in the role, but he is definitely a jerk.

And he flat out gets killed because he's being a jerk and antagonizing the killer because he feels safe being outside and in the open. Never. Back. Up. To. A. Panel. Van. Love that death scene.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Umma 2021
    Interesting horror film about a Korean woman (Sandra Oh) who had a crazy/abusive mother and now lives in America with her daughter. She is very overprotective, and the mother's remains arrive from a relative and weird things happen. You never really know if they are being haunted or the mother is just crazy. Pretty good, Oh is very good as is the daughter but never really is that scary.

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The Woman King (2022)
    [​IMG]
    It's way past time that Hollywood tackled the story of Dahomey's Agojie, the real-life warriors whose fierceness inspired Black Panther's Dora Milaje - and it will probably leave you wanting more.
    Gina Prince-Bythewood's film does a reasonably good job at showing the basics of life in early 19th-century Dahomey, but ultimately there is so much to explore here that it is unfortunate the film eventually falls victim to dramatic predictability. And yet, the characters it presents are so compelling, I couldn't help but wish this had been made as a miniseries instead - giving us a greater chance to explore the era and these fierce warriors at greater length, and without the need for a prompt resolution to the storylines after a two-hour interval.
    The entire cast, headlined by the inimitable Viola Davis, is outstanding. Lashana Lynch, known for her work in the MCU and the last installment of James Bond, makes for a truly fierce warrior, as does Sheila Atim, who was last seen in a small role as a Kamar-Taj wizard in Multiverse of Madness. Atim is a really gifted actor, and I can't wait to see what she does next.

Moonage Daydream (2022)
    [​IMG]
    For the second time this year, a documentary consisting largely of footage filmed decades ago is being shown in IMAX theaters, and it should be a great opportunity for anyone who enjoys the music of David Bowie to watch this in the biggest screen available.
    While I don't consider myself a big Bowie fan in particular, there is something to be said for the experience that watching this in a huge auditorium with an appreciative audience entails.
    While there is definitely plenty of material of Bowie on-screen, the documentary also makes considerable use of clips from a lot of classic movies - anything from A Trip to the Moon and Metropolis to more contemporary works like The Red Shoes, A Clockwork Orange, and lots more. Just watching that footage alone in an IMAX-sized presentation is truly worth the price of admission.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I agree with much of your review there but especially the part where you say the violence lacks a certain thematic weight to it. It really is what keeps 2 from being better than the original which still hasn't been surpassed. And Neve Campbell is given the best material to work with in 2.

Did you see the latest 'Scream' Rogue? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it. It is kind of interesting because it really takes the thing I dislike most about 2 and runs with it. I don't know what to think about the whole 'Stab' phenomenon in the series because it seems as if they come out with a new 'Stab' movie after every series of murders. 2 handles the awkwardness of the blurring of lines between a horror film and real life horror really pretty well but it's always been an odd aspect of 'Scream' as a series that comes back to comment on the genre.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

That comes up in Scream 3, in his video tape message.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Thor: Love and Thunder. Much more fun than I thought it would be, most of the gags were in the trailer, so this was typical Marvel fare. My son's gone so far as to say that Taika Waititi is his favorite director.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975). Quirky as always. Most memorable for the killer rabbit.

The2ndQuest and Sarge like this.
  12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Captain Marvel

Wanted to learn more about the Skrull so I rewatched this and enjoyed it much more on second viewing largely due to the excellent cast. Great focus is given to Fury and Talos. The plot is pretty convoluted, but this is overall a decent entry. Felt a bit long though for some reason, especially the action scenes, both in the first and third acts.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Jurassic World: Dominion (extended edition) 2022

Well I finally got around to watching the latest (and from what I've heard at least) last installment of the Jurassic Park/World saga. This time around, the World meets the Park, in a manner of speaking. It was nice seeing Dern, Neil, and of course Goldblum reprising their roles; though at times their dialogue seemed too forced; as if they were just shoved into being those same characters from nearly three decades ago against their will. Of course there were some obvious nods to the original. I've said it before, it would've been cool if Lex and Timmy might've made a brief cameo, but I guess those former child actors have both moved on. Some things in the movie were kind of predictable, for instance
    what Dodgeson's ultimate fate was going to be ("Dodgeson...we've got Dodgeson here!)
    But overall I thought it was all right. It was entertaining for the most part.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I just still can't believe this was a movie about bugs and kidnapping a teenager when dinosaurs were right there.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yup, I did and I will be reviewing all three of the remaining movies in the franchise.

Drac39, solojones and DarthTunick like this.
  16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Confess, Fletch
    Not a direct remake of the Chevy Chase films (less ball bearings mechanic, more of John Coctostan vein) but Jon Hamm steps into the role well. This time Fletch himself is at the center of a murder investigation. Anyone who has seen Hamm in Curb Your Enthusiasm or just interviewed in general, can see he has some comedic prowess. The rest of the cast is pretty good too: Ron Wood, John Slattery (the Sterling/Draper reunion was good to see) and Lorenna Izzo are all good. Although, the casting of Marcia Gay Harden as an Italian countess didn't work for me. That accent....yikes.

They could certainly run with this as a streaming series too, it actually might be better suited for that.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Last Year at Marienbad (1961)
    WTF did I just watch?

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Ooh, ooh, I know this one! It was Last Year at Marienbad!

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    For the first time since 1981 I spent my morning watching the Chevy Chase/ Carrie Fisher classic Under The Rainbow about all the chaos of Nazi plots, assassination attempts and Munchkin drunken debauchery that didn't really serve as a backdrop to the production of Wizard of Oz.

22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Saw that Thor movie was out on Disney plus. It seemed like the screaming goats were going to end up being the highlight of the movie, so I bailed and switched to Jurassic Park, Dominion. Made it to the giant grasshoppers which seemed as random as everything else about the movie. I hope I didn't miss anything important...

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Toothgrinder and Toothgnasher are the GOAT.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Irma la Douce. Billy Wilder could do everything, which is one of the reasons I think he’s one of the greatest directors of all time. But there’s something special about his facility with comedy. And what better comic partner could he ask for (aside from I. A. L. Diamond) than Jack Lemmon? Lemmon and Wilder have one of the great actor-director connections, and it’s put to great use here.

Lemmon plays a supremely innocent Parisian cop who ends up working the red-light district. He loses his job after busting the boss in a raid, but falls for sweet streetwalker Shirley MacLaine, who takes a shine to him — and installs him as her new pimp. He can’t bear to share to her, but she just can’t comprehend the idea of leaving her trade and doesn’t want to be reformed. So as anyone would do in this situation, he disguises himself and poses as a rich client who pays enough to keep her all to himself. For which he needs to sneak out to work, leading to trouble at home.

It’s loopy, silly, with a little twisted continental-criminal sense of humor, and utterly delightful. It milks comedy from premises both classic and novel, and is wickedly hilarious from start to end. Wilder is so good (and so are his cast and crew) that he can even get away with making a two-and-a-half-hour screwy comedy. The time flies, because it’s impossible not to have fun, and Wilder keeps up a rapid-fire pace the whole time, without flagging. Chalk up yet another comic classic for Wilder, Diamond, and Lemmon.

soitscometothis and Count Yubnub like this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

I'll start by saying Thor is hardly my favorite Marvel character. I watch his moves only because they're the next in line of the MCU and take them for whatever they're worth. This film brings back Natalie as Jane in a prominent role, which tbh got me slightly more interested in it than I would have otherwise. It plays out somewhat predictably, we know who the star of the Thor movies is, and there will be no replacements. It was mildly entertaining; most of the highlights were already spoiled in the trailers. I didn't think Christian Bale's character was all that impressive. I'm no comics expert so I'm not sure if it was adapted from there, but he just didn't seem all that threatening. I'm not usually thrilled by the dialogue in the Thor films, and this was no exception. It comes off as kind of childish to me. Maybe his films are geared more towards the younger people, and that's ok. It's just not my cup of tea.

The one great thing about the movie that I will say is it's soundtrack. I haven't heard a track like that since Terminator 2.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022