main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    No offense, but your brother is right.

TX-20 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    None taken. We also disagreed over the best anime (or, to our generation, Japanimation) series. He said "Star Blazers", I said "Speed Racer". But it was a friendly disagreement.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Once again, your brother is correct. ;)

4. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I can't chime in on that one as I've unfortunately never seen Star Blazers. And my viewing of the original Speed Racer is so far in the distant past that I can't really comment on that one either.

The Wachowskis' live action Speed Racer is pretty fun, though -- even though there are sections with too much talking.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)

Beautiful looking with a fabulous score by John Williams...and not much else. I wouldn't say it's boring, it's never boring. It's just...there.

The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999)

Luc Besson directed epic starring Milla Jovovich, this movie is bat**** insane. The lead actress is predictably terrible but in the best way possible. The battle scenes are delightfully insane. Limbs flying everywhere, with characters spouting dialogue that I don't think is historically accurate ("Put yourself in my shoes Joan!"). John Malkovich is in this, looking absolutely bewildered and about to fire his agent. Faye Dunaway (?!) is in this wearing a very tight hat. But the most memorable performance in the whole entire film is Dustin Hoffman, is in this as some sort of angel (??!!) that Joan Arc hallucinates when she's imprisoned, and he's not giving one single **** about anything. He's just there to harass. I don't know if I hated this movie or not, it certainly wasn't boring.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I’ll agree that the FRWL fight is better, but what makes the They Live fight stand out so much is that it might be the clearest fight in cinema history. Carpenter shoots and edits the fight with incredible clarity. There is no jumping camera, no fast cuts to give a sense of intensity or cover up the stunt work. It’s just an extremely well-choreographed, cleanly-executed fight scene where you can follow every punch and grapple. You’re right there with every thudding punch, understanding exactly what is happening at every moment, in a way that’s rare in action sequences. It’s further complemented by the fact that it’s long, intense, and has a great rhythmic pacing, but the striking clarity is what makes it such a remarkable standout fight.

7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    For purely nostalgic reasons I'm partial to Gatchaman. (Check out the original Japanese series -- stay away from the butchered American version, Battle of the Planets.)

But thanks for the suggestion! I'll check out Star Blazers at one point or another.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Captain Harlock Space Pirate is required viewing, @Count Yubnub

Ramza and Count Yubnub like this.
  10. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Always

He was there when they needed him...Even after he was gone.

Always is a gentle action romance fantasy starring Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, and Audrey Hepburn in her last film role.
    It is a remake of the WWII film about a pilot called A Guy Named Joe which is a favorite of both Dreyfuss and director Steven Spielberg.

Dreyfuss plays an ace aerial firefighter who takes on one too many risky missions in order to save his friend and then must meet up with Hap, played beautifully by Hepburn for one last mission for each of them, as it were.

This was my first viewing and I enjoyed it, especially all of the aerial action sequences. The first half can be a little slow, especially the birthday party scene, but the film really shines in the last half, upping the action stakes, while also getting deeper on a human and spiritual level.
    Parts of Always reminded me of Field of Dreams and Ghost, as far as overall vibe is concerned.

Dreyfuss is great and the John Williams score is lovely as always, reminding a bit of some of the gentler movements from later Mahler symphonies. While watching the credits, I noticed that Ben Burtt did the sound efffects, so that is where that Star Wars sounding blaster fire effect came from near the final action plane sequence. Spielberg does love his SW references. And the use of the gorgeous song "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" by The Platters added a lot to the romanctic scences between Dreyfuss and Hunter.

Glad I finally saw this film and would rewatch it again. It is not top tier Spielberg, but it is a very sweet and benign film.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Interesting that you just saw this.

Last week I watched A Guy Named Joe, which Always is a remake of. A Guy Named Joe is classic Spencer Tracy. Both are really great films, and I have to disagree with you that this isn't top tier Spielberg. It's one of my personal favorites.

Sarge likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    First Man (2018)
    Been wanting to see this ever since it came out, but haven't gotten around to it until now. Unfortunately, I didn't like it at all.
    It felt very self-important and try-hard in its attempts to tell an intimate and human story with the Gemini and Apollo missions as backdrops rather than the focus. Nothing wrong with that intent of course, but they completely failed to make the characters three-dimensional and realistic, and instead made them into miserable, one-note paper cutouts.
    Unfortunately that's something that's way too common these days; apparently we're not supposed to believe characters are "real" unless they're depressed and aloof at all times.

The fact that they chose Ryan Gosling to play Neil Armstrong didn't help. He's at best a decent actor, and that's being charitable. He's where charisma and charm go to die.
    Sure, Armstrong wasn't a particularly charismatic person, but here he's portrayed as a joyless mannequin, not a human being. You never get a feel for his motivations and emotions (beyond "miserable"), and based on what we see in the film, you never believe that he'd be competent enough to go as far as he did.

There's no depth to the drama in the film; it's all superficial and robotic, and the pacing is awkward and confused.

I did enjoy the actual moonlanding scenes though. The cinematography and music there were excellent.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Four Good Days.

Mila Kunis and Glenn Close are daughter and mother in a story about an addict who needs four days cleantime in order to be eligible for a heroin blocking implant. She goes back to her family home and begs her mother for last chance again. I’m not sure if addiction movies are actually a genre, but I felt like I’d heard this story a few times before. Watch it in an emergency - or if you’ve ever wondered what Mila Kunis would look like with rotted stumps for teeth.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I saw a youtube review by Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield, he said what was missing from First Man was the feeling of joy at exploring space.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    But..but..but, he's so pretty. :eek: ;)

The Northman (2022)

Vikings are awesome. This movie has vikings. Ergo, this movie is awesome.

TCF-1138 and Count Yubnub like this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I agree with your assessment, especially this part. The rest of the film is bland and skippable, but the moon landing part itself was great.

He has stupid eyes though. According to a former partner anyway, and I can't help but agree with her: he has stupid eyes.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Perhaps so, but apparently he, Jason Mamoa, and Brad Pitt all share the same superpower to get women pregnant through sight alone.

TCF-1138 and Count Yubnub like this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm guessing that my ex only commented on his eyes during a brief moment when she wasn't distracted by the rest of his physique.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm a big fan of Hadfield, and I saw his review afterwards, and I was glad to see he agreed with me.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Every time I think we might eventually get world peace or something, somebody says something like, "Ryan Gosling has no charisma" and I realize that the human race will never agree on anything.

Coruscant, TX-20, Ramza and 4 others like this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The whole purpose of the JCC is to disagree about things of no consequence like Star Wars or whether or not Ryan Gosling has charisma.

Coruscant, TX-20, Ramza and 1 other person like this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Only Yesterday (1991)

A cute lowkey Studio Ghibli film about a woman reminiscing about her childhood, and that's about it. But it's very charming and a lot of what she goes through is super relatable. It's directed by Isao Takahata who I feel has a really strong grasp on conveying the intricacies of humanity in little day to day interactions. There's no magic or funny creatures here, just a girl navigating the various hassles Japanese girls and women have to deal with.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    First Love (2019)
    A terminally ill young boxer comes to the aid of a girl forced into prostitution, and consequently gets caught in the middle of a war between the Yakuza and Chinese gangsters in this Takeshi Miike black comedy thriller.

This is violent, colourful, and fun. You see a severed head roll into the street in the first few minutes of the film, and it starts as it means to go on, with the over the top violence contrasting with tender scenes between our boxer protagonist and the poor girl he’s helping. There is a double-crossing weasel of a gangster, another gangster’s vengeful girlfriend, a hit-woman, a one-armed Chinese gangster, a corrupt cop… it’s got a lot of moving parts, but they all work. Miike makes Tokyo at night look great, too.

If you want a madcap action comedy thriller you could do worse.

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Mute

set in Bladerunner-land.

it starts off quite promising, but **** me this is **** . directed by Duncan Jones. Paul Rudd as a baddie - beyond his range.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  25. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Rewatched The Sum of All Fears after 12 years, mildly improved from below average to average, mostly from appreciating more the acting of Freeman, Cromwell and Schreiber.

Count Yubnub and TX-20 like this.