main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Star Trek: The Original Series "The Enterprise Incident": The Enterprise is captured by Romulans after crossing into the Neutral Zone. First televised appearance of the Klingon Battle Cruiser when originally aired.

As a side note, the actress who played the Romulan commander was originally planned to reappear as her character in the Next Generation episode "Face of the Enemy," but was unavailable, so Carolyn Seymour was cast as a new Romulan commander.

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Ozark s2, e10: "The Gold Coast"
    I think Laura Linney is the strongest actor on the show, but giving her a run for her money is Julia Garner - her Ruth Langmore character is for me Ozark's most interesting character, being at turns diamond-hard and ruthless, then caring and vulnerable; jumping from Ozark to Maniac, where at one stage we get to see her playing an elf, I've got to say she's got some range to her performances. She's got to gain an Emmy nomination at some point, right?

Anyway, episode 10 is a typically tense episode, and I really like the way these short seasons always feel like they're progressing rather than padding out with filler. It's very watchable TV.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    At the beginning of season three, the show had some misfires that were trying to go in a pretty graphic horror direction. This is one of them I'd say, though it's not as bad as The List. It has some effective sequences; I really love the pool scene, which is suspenseful, scary and has a couple of really great creepy images. Others, like when the phantom soldier is running through the steam in the basement, are pretty awful. I would probably watch this one over Unrequited, which is an episode I really don't like. But this one's not all that great either.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Interesting, I’ve forgotten so much about this series and haven’t watched the bulk of since Krycek was killed off, so I appreciate your filling in the blanks. The make up job on the actor playing Stans was fantastic. I am more fond of Unrequited because it feels more like an X-File to me, the Lucio Fulci style crying blood tears gag, and quite possibly that blind spot trick could be a technique a captive soldier would pick up on.

I would agree the phantom soldier effect doesn’t work, and the pool sequence was nicely done.

The season I remember most is 4. I think it is cool we can all find different things to like and dislike.

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I would agree that Unrequited has more of an X-Files feel to it. My issues with that episode are mostly structural and such. It feels like they didn't really have quite enough for a full episode, so they padded it, including just straight up replaying several minutes from the beginning of the episode at the end, which always bugs me.

I think I would say 4 is the best season, with three a close second. Hmm, let's just see if I can do this: 4, 3, 5, 2, 1, 7, 6, 8, 9. And I haven't seen 10 or 11. I know people say they're not good, but I can't imagine them being worse than 9. I am more positive on 8 than most people are, I think. I could conceivably rank 8 higher than 6 if I really thought about it. Season 6 was when they moved to LA and I think they struggled with the shift in a lot of tonal ways; season 6 is the lightest season by far and it's kind of weird. And I also like Doggett as a character quite a bit and I think the way they worked in the "search for Mulder" as an ongoing thread really, really works. I dunno; those two are bad in different ways and good in different ways so it's hard to say which is better. But the hardest ranking there is 5 & 2; those are just really, really, really close, but I think I would go 5 over 2.

Also, have you seen the one episode with Krycek after he dies?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "The Woman Who Fell to Earth" on "Doctor Who". It was OK, but not without problems.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The X-Files, episode "Colony," from S2.

Intense opening regarding one of our agents in this interesting episode that finds Mulder and Scully tracking the deaths of identical looking doctors through New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. Another agent dies. Theres clones and green goo. Blood curdled. Dramatic discussions. Skinner scene. Mulder's sister. Creepy aliens. Bounty hunters. Shapeshifters. This episode has it all.

Great score in this one and effectively suspenseful cinematography. This is such an excellent series.

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    That is a good point about the repetition in Unrequited. Maybe show a bit of Teager experiencing the blind spot technique? It doesn’t bother me as much, but I suppose I’ll be thinking of this when I watch going forward.;)

I probably did see that episode with Krycek post death, but darned if I remember it. I was so annoyed with the religious tags they stuck on Mulder and Scully, it was as if Weapon X came in and zapped my memories of any XF episodes after late in season six. For me, ‘S.R. 819’ is the last entertaining XF episode that I remember and revisit (it is the only s6 ep too).

I cannot rank any season as I haven’t seen much since they aired, but Tunguska, Terma, Unrequited and The Kaddish get replay love here at least once a year. As you know by now, Home was one and done. Even for a horror fan like myself, that episode really creeped me out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Star Trek Voyager "Parallax": Voyager gets stuck in a quantum singularity and must find its way out.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Doctor Who S11 Ep 1 "The Woman who Fell to Earth" Pretty good. One of the better post regen episodes.

Dagobahsystem, Master_Lok and Lordban like this.
  11. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Dito :D

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    The X-Files, S2, End Games

Great episode that continues on from Colony. We've got a Terminator like shapeshifter who captures Scully; forcing Mulder to make a risky trade. We learn more about Mulder's sister, or don't we?

Another meeting with Mulder's secret contact (forgot his name), nuclear subs, Scully seeks Skinner's help, Mulder encounters the shapeshifter in the frozen tundra and is gravely wounded.

Another excellent episode, makes for a great two parter.

13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The Goldbergs - the one where Erica organizes a Dirty Dancing Dance at school. I loved Barry's love for Footloose.

14. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    The X-Files, S2.

Fearful Symmetry: Decent episode about mysterious events occuring at a zoo. It's sad when some of the animals die.

Dod Kalm: This was an interesting episode involving the rapid aging of sailors, which our heros investigate, much to their peril when they are stranded on an infected ship. The makeup used for the actors is pretty cool. Looks good on blu ray at least.
    And I really liked the music in this one.

Man, do Mulder and Scully ever go through a lot in this season so far! It's a miracle they've survived.

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Vanity Fair episode 7
    A good finale to the story. I thought this was an excellent version that wasn't afraid to take its time telling the tale. Olivia Cooke was perfect as the conniving and heartless Becky Sharp, and I love the fact that she was turned down by soaps Hollyoaks and Emmerdale - someone must be kicking themselves.

The fact that this production was slaughtered in the ratings by BBC1's hugely overrated Bodyguard proves there is no justice in this world.

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Grey's Anatomy S15E03

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @Dagobahsystem - Dod Kalm is one of my least favorite X-Files episodes, but I am glad you liked it. I love the title though.

Yan Can Cook: Spice Kitchen: Back to your roots. Martin Yan was a familiar foodie presence to me on PBS long before we got cable. So I am glad to see him still doing his thing (and in China too). He was in Chengdu this episode.

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The Simpsons Heartbreak Hotel. Homer and Marge get kicked off of Marge’s favourite reality series and have to stay in a crappy chain hotel until the show finishes shooting. The premise of Homer and Marge on a reality show sounds like it should be funny, but it seems like the kind of thing that would have worked better 10 or 15 years ago. I did like the image of Bart forcing Milhouse, Nelson and Ralph to dig him a pool.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, this is the first I'm hearing of this. I love Vanity Fair, the novel, and Olivia Cooke is absolutely perfect casting for Becky Sharp. Such a great character and Cooke is so good. I'm going to have to check this out.

soitscometothis and Master_Lok like this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    The Voice 2018, the Blind Auditions, night 5.

Master_Lok likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    A few innings of Game 3 of the Divisional Series between the Red Sox and Yankees.

A few minutes of Monday Night Football between Washington and New Orleans.

The first half of preseason basketball between the Suns and Warriors.

Season premiere of The Walking Dead.

Season finale of Better Call Saul.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol sounds like we were having a similar struggle, except i was mixing in the sounders game too.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, when I tuned into the Red Sox/Yankees game, it was pretty much decided, and the Saints started to pull away from Washington so I didn't spend much time watching them. But I missed the play was Brees broke Manning's passing record. Since it was just a preseason game, I DVR'd the Warriors game. I like Boogie saying he would end up with less Technical fouls than Draymond this season. And when that was relayed to Bob Myers later in the game Myers said, "Well, Demarcus won't play until January, so he has that advantage."

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i wouldn't put it past boogie to pick up a few from the bench. :p

25. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Yeah, there are very, very few episodes I've disliked so far on my X-Files S1 and S2 rewatch. The only one that comes to mind is "3." I didn't care for that one.

But overall, I'm picky when it comes to television. Like, I'd rather watch nothing at all than be forced to endure any so called reality show. Most of the stuff on network television is subpar, imo, so I really appreciate shows like X-Files, Twilight Zone, and Game of Thrones where much of it is high quality.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018