main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Wacky Wednesday Winner star 8 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 25, 2015
    Doctor Who
    Series 4 with David Tennant.
    Watched 5 episodes/serials whatever last night.
    The Doctor's Daughter
    The Unicorn and the Wasp
    Silence in the Library
    Forrest of the Dead
    Midnight

This was an incredibly enjoyable run of eps and the 10th Doctor is definitely one of the best and in my top 3 for sure; may even be my fave, but I love Tom and Christopher too so unranked.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Silence in the Library/Forrest of the Dead: first appearance of River Song, and foreshadows "The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone."

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 6

Oct 28, 2014
    Netflix Original Series High Score; episode talking about the history of fighting games since Street Fighter. It was pretty interesting, though somewhat incomplete in that it didn't feature the full range of offshoot fighting games that have spawned from both SF and Mortal Kombat over the years and instead spent a good amount of time talking about competitive gaming.

Jedi Daniel and Blue Ice Cream like this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Force Ghost star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Alienist s2 e3 "Labyrinth"
    Dakota Fanning is dominating the second series of this period detective series, and it's no bad thing - she's got a very strong screen presence here, the strongest I've seen from her since she grew up. I'd like to think she'll get an Emmy nomination, though I think Anya Taylor-Joy will be difficult to beat for the actual prize.

Master_Lok likes this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I watched the Netflix documentary miniseries Challenger: The Final Flight. It was slickly produced, taught me some things about the event and the crew that I didn't know before. However, it was annoyingly light. It lacked depth. There was little-to-no exploration of the factors that caused NASA and their contractors to knowingly launch a shuttle that had a high probability of exploding. They actually said near the end that NASA was Too Optimistic. Come the **** on. Oh, we just love Freedom too much in this country.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  6. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Yes I'm sure the future Netflix Boeing 737 MAX documentary will be cut from the same cloth.

Juliet316 and Darth Guy like this.
  7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Force Ghost star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Vagabond s1 ep12
    Korean action-drama about a stuntman trying to out a conspiracy that destroyed an aeroplane full of passengers, including his nephew.

This show has attractive leads and high production values, but for the last few episodes the story has really been giving me that horrible dragged-out feeling you get from shows that aren't sure where they're going and are in no rush to get there. It's a shame, because this series started out very strong (though with some of the wacky stuff you get in k-dramas) and has a lot going for it. As Bourne-inspired TV shows go, it's still better than Treadstone, imo.

Master_Lok likes this.
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Marshall Law s1, ep6 Extreme Measures - a crooked attorney is using athletes to clean up any rivals etc. who get in his way. Unfortunately for inspector Sammo Law, this includes a passive aggressive annoying legal assistant who tries to flirt with him.

Okay, so I vaguely remember Sammo Hung’s crime series for CBS. I liked Sammo and Kelly Hu (BTW, her initial outfit / styling here was beautiful.) Of course, we did not get Hong Kong stunts from Sammo and his phonetic English was very good (He’s since become more fluent in English).

The episode was pretty awful though (Very soapy crime drama), save for when Sammo does his thing. Still, it’s Sammo -and if I remember to watch on Saturdays- I’ll tune in.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 15, 2018
    Am now watching one of my favorite shows, Spartacus. I love that show very mutch, i have just finnished with season 1 and now soon of to see the mini series of the house of Batiadus. I just finnished Vkings before that to prepare me fro AC: Valhalla.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Purimasu-yuki Kyuko-ressha (Zenpen) Kyaku****sunai no ****ai (2005) – Masahiko Watanabe, Naohito Takahashi

Well, the last story adapted was 4:50 from Paddington and now we move on to a short story adaptation that once again revolves around a train, The Plymouth Express. When a woman dies under mysterious circumstances alone on a train journey, Poirot is tasked with figuring out how it was done. You’ll probably figure this one out before the “Great Detective” does. This one’s a two parter and you’ll probably have it figured out by the end of this episode. This is one of Christie’s simpler solutions in my opinion. Bonus points for letting Oliver the Duck pull a Lassie by finding the murder weapon and then leading the police to it. Good job. 2 stars.

tl;dr – the solution to this very simple story is clear by the end of this episode and it’s a two parter; one of Christie’s most simplistic and obvious solutions. 2 stars.

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 8

May 18, 2017
    Moonlighting
    The Lady in the Iron Mask. The first 2 seasons of that show were near perfect.

12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Does an HBO comedy special count? Watched Steve Martin’s 1976 HBO special with mom late last night.

13. Coruscant

Coruscant Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Nope, sorry, doesn’t count. You have to retract that post immediately

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Of course, by immediately you mean within 30 minutes and not 20 hours. :p

Cook’s Country episode featuring sliders and The Croque Monsieur sandwiches, I pronounce Crock not croak.Ami Francias I apologize, but it’s been decades since I’ve spoken French. Granted if I ate one, I probably would croak.:p

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Juliet316 and Coruscant like this.
  15. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    Boruto: Naruto Next Generations, Episode 173

The show is building up to a big rematch between main characters Boruto and Sarada against Deepa, a member of an organization of bad folks. Deepa's emotional expressions run the gamut from being over-the-top homicidal-happy to calm and almost "depressive". One thing I vastly prefer about this show in comparison to Naruto and Naruto:Shippuden is that these characters actually feel like friends. While those shows were telling me that Team 7 had these 'bonds' forged in fire, Boruto actually shows these bonds being forged. What's even better is that no one feels like the third-wheel. Yes, Boruto is centered, but it isn't just the two guys being friends (Boruto & Mitsuki) and the girl being left in the dust (Sarada). They are all friends and each of them contributes to their friendship and the battles they fight together. Sure, they shade each other occasionally, but it's not mean-spirited. The friendship among the new Team 7 (the only Team 7 I acknowledge as an actual team) and the other Konoha kids actually feels real.

Supportive, healthy friendships depicted on screen is something that will never go out of style for me.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett PT Interview Host/All-Around Good Guy star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    The Mandalorian chapter 10. I don’t know yet if I like this season more or less than the first

Blue Ice Cream likes this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 6

Dec 19, 2015
    Truth Seekers. Episode 1. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg at it again, taking on youtube ghost hunters.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 5, 2011
    I started Rick and Morty a couple weeks ago and tore through it. Love it.

Now I'm on Arrested Development. Not sure if I'm going to stick with it. I can't believe I'm absolutely loving Liza Minnelli.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Trying to get back into my "Make a damn dent in your watchlists already- you're paying for these services, idiot!" initiative I started back in January since I'm in a lull of a few weeks before I'll be able to (hopefully) repair my Tivo and regain access to my normal cable TV programming. The initiative got derailed when Picard debuted and I've made some tweaks to my master list since then.

Anyways, I hit up the first episode of Man in the High Castle. I had little doubt that I'd fully enjoy it, given the premise and cast, and that certainly played out. Really looking forward to going through the rest over the next couple months.

20. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    The Mandalorian, ep 11. Certainly the best of the season so far. Just as good as the best of the first season, in my book.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Ratched . Well its got nothing to do with the Kesey novel or film , every shot and music cue is aping a Hitchcock or a Kubrick movie .

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Purimasu-yuki Kyuko-ressha (Kohen) Buru no Wanpisu (2005) – Katsutoshi Sasaki, Naohito Takahashi

Part two of this forgettable adaptation of The Plymouth Express coasts to a stop. This is definitely one of the weakest two parter, probably the very weakest two parter. Most of the other episodes that are this weak are just one-offs. Anyway, it’s not terrible, just dull. 2 stars.

tl;dr – weak episode finishes off the weakest two-parter of the series. 2 stars.

23. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Force Ghost star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Seinfeld: Season 8, Episode 8 - The Chicken Roaster (1996)

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Doki to Kikai (2005) – Yumi Kamakura, Naohito Takahashi

This episode takes us back to St. Mary Mead as Mabel once again visits her Aunt Marple and hears a compelling story told by a lawyer. This is one of Christie’s best high-concept hooks for a story; the title is Motive vs. Opportunity and it’s a very simple story in which a wealthy man makes a will cutting his family out of the will in order to give most of his money to a couple of swindlers. Long story short, someone tampers with the will, replacing it in the lawyer’s envelope with a blank piece of paper. The wealthy man’s children had the necessary motive, but they were never alone with the lawyer’s coat, where the envelope was; the swindlers, on the other hand, both had opportunity to search the lawyer’s coat while he was out of his office, but, of course, they have no motive for removing the will. So, who’s to blame? The people who had a chance, but seemingly no reason? Or the people who had every reason, but seemingly no chance? This is a great hook for a story and this episode adapts it very well, really taking the time to follow the lawyer through his evening and let us see the important moments. That said, the ending is rather a cheat and I really wish Christie had come up with something a little more shocking and surprising. Still, I quite enjoyed this one. 3 stars.

tl;dr – one of Christie’s best high-concept hooks is given a good, detailed treatment here; the ending leaves something to be desired, but this one is still enjoyable and fun. 3 stars.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, so far season 2 is just as good as season 1, and it looks like we’re getting Ahsoka soon. [face_dancing]

Last thing I watched was The Right Stuff Ep. 7 on Disney+. I have some gripes, but over all it’s pretty good.