main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Equinox - Nordic noir along the lines of Dark. It's bleak and moody with decent acting, but the plot is dull though the not as dull as the overall pacing. Something with that slow a burn needs a better punchline.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Kumo no Naka no Shi (Sono Ni) Pari no Madamu Jizeru (2005) – Katsutoshi Sasaki, Naohito Takahashi

Most of the stories adapted by this series have been stories I’m familiar with, either through reading Christie’s original novels or short stories or by watching other adaptations prior to this. I know some people are of the opinion that there’s no reason to watch a mystery movie more than once or, by that same token I suppose, to watch an adaptation of a mystery you’ve read. For those people, the purpose of a mystery is to mystify and if you’re not mystified, then there’s no point. I understand that perspective, I suppose, but there are plenty of pleasures in re-watching a great mystery movie or in watching an adaptation when you already know the ending. It’s in the pleasures of watching the plot unfold and the characters and, you know, all that stuff. All that said, I do kind of like that I’m wrapping up watching through this series with a story I don’t know. I haven’t read Death in the Air or seen any other adaptations, so this is a fun way to finish the series, getting the full whodunnit experience. This episode, while not quite as experimental or strange as the first, is quite good and focused a lot on characters again. Also, Oliver the Duck is getting some interesting bittersweet development as we see him kind of longing to be free. I suspect the show is warming up for a sad farewell between Mabel and Oliver. You know, as she has become her own person, left the nest as it were, so it is now time for Oliver to also etc etc I’m crying already. This is a good show and this is a good episode. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – character focused episode isn’t as experimental as part one of this story was, but it’s well-done and introduces some interesting thematic material as well. 3 ½ stars.

3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Binged all of Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me, and the Return over the past week. Now chilling with the 2017 duck tales to come down from TP. Watched season 1 episode 4 a couple hours ago.

Arwen Sith and Juliet316 like this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Rewatching the first season of Lost. Amazing how great that first season was. Every episode was a different character flashback. A trick they later used way, way too much. But I still love that first season.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Rew and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Season five was best for me. It was the one season where I felt they'd worked everything out in advanced.

christophero30 likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Tonight’s Jeopardy.

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Just started a rewatch of Babylon 5. Sure, it's far from perfect, but I really enjoy the story, even if the CGI is showing its age.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Kumo no Naka no Shi (Sono San) Hobari-fujin e no Kyohaku (2005) – Masahiko Watanabe, Naohito Takahashi

All right, so it’s the next to last episode of the series and . . . um, well, I don’t have that much to say about this one. It’s the next one in this adaptation and it keeps things rocking along nicely. It starts to become pretty obvious who the killer is in this one, but I’m still looking forward to Poirot explaining exactly HOW he did it. And this one has a nice twist at the end. Another good episode. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – next to last episode of this adaptation and of the series as a whole is another strong installment, even if the solution is pretty obvious. 3 ½ stars.

Master_Lok likes this.
  9. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Season finale of Star Trek Discovery

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just finished The Serpent , an 8 part series based on real life Charles Sobrahj a conman/murderer who charmed backpackers across Asia in the 70s and dodged the law many times .
    Not just a chilling drama but due to the narrative style a very good thriller too.
    Jenny Coleman stars in it too.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Last night I watched The Chase US reboot series premiere. Loved it. I hope this one catches on, because Ken, Brad, and James together makes this so challenging and great.

Then I stuck around for The Hustler, a trivia/strategy show. The trivia questions themselves seem so easy I would definitely be called out as the Hustler because I'd know them even if they weren't related to my life. BUT Craig Ferguson is a delight to see on TV again. And I liked that I did NOT guess who the Hustler was. I will be continuing to watch this.

Finally, I started Korean competition show I-Land. I already know which contestants won, because I listen to their band that premiered in November, ENHYPEN. But I'm still excited to learn more about them and their journey. It is so fiercely competitive, yet they are also good kids it seems. Very interesting show.

12. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    More Star Wars Rebels.

13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Picked up season one of Yellowstone for 5 dollars. Has anyone seen it?

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Twin Peaks season 2 finale. I really liked the show, despite some weak plotlines here and there. I was utterly sucked in by the mythology. Gonna start up The Return this weekend.

Dagobahsystem and Arwen Sith like this.
  15. Darth_Diealot

Darth_Diealot Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2020
    Rewatching Season 4 of The Expanse.

16. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    Vikings season 6 and more Babylon 5. Now I'm really remembering why I love this show so much, occasionally clunky acting and clumsy by today's standards CGI notwithstanding.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Halfway through watching Mr. Bean's original series. Too funny.

@christophero30
    I've not seen Yellowstone.
    Either in person or the show.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    christophero30 likes this.
  18. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Finished vikings season 6.

19. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I just finished Who Killed Malcolm X? It’s a very engaging 6-part documentary on the assassination and the investigation that followed. The documentary makes a strong case that the murder was not properly investigated and that two of the men convicted and sentenced were innocent.

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Is Raised by Wolves any good?

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'd say if you liked Prometheus then you'll probably like it.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just started season 1 of Killing Eve. Four episodes in, and I'm absolutely adoring it. The two leads are fantastic. It's so much fun.

soitscometothis likes this.
  23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Great until the end of season 1, imo.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

And now to wrap up the series I've been watching . . .

[​IMG]

Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Kumo no Naka no Shi (Sono Yon) Bakudai na Isan no Sozokunin (2005) – Koji Fukasawa, Naohito Takahashi

Well, this ends Death in the Air and this entire series. I don’t have a whole lot to say about this episode as separate from the previous episodes in this four-parter; it’s solid and you probably won’t be surprised by the culprit, but the flashback sequence where Poirot explains how the murder was committed while everyone was in the same room is very well done. But a word or two about this series on the whole. I went into this series expecting a kind of goofy good time; Agatha Christie anime starring a teenage girl and her pet duck? I mean, this is going to be wacky, right? And it did have some funny stuff in it and some cute stuff, usually revolving around Oliver.

But what I wasn’t really prepared for was just how serious this show took the original stories. Every episode had two credited directors; there was a stable of rotating directors, but Naohito Takahashi got a director credit on all 39 episodes, leading me to believe he was basically the show-runner and I have to say he did a great job. The show never got overly silly and it was willing to take its time and let some adaptations stretch out into two or four parters. Mabel and Oliver never felt intrusive and I was surprised to see that the show actually took Mabel on an overarching character journey, from being a little silly and childish to ultimately facing some sad situations and learning how to be more mature and compassionate. I loved that the show adapted some of Christie’s darker stories and it let them be pretty sad. Sleeping Murder is the prime example, in my opinion, which has a really melancholy and bittersweet ending that’s all about the characters. And so, as this episode rolled to a close, instead of getting the usual “next week on,” we saw a reel of clips from earlier in the show as Mabel closed us out with a voice over about how much she’d grown and changed over her adventures with Poirot & Marple. And you know what? She really had and that felt super-great. All in all, this was a fun show and I’m glad I watched it.

Oh, one small thing. I really thought that the show would end with Poirot & Marple finally meeting. I mean, this show posits that they exist in the same universe, but also that they have only ONE degree of separation since they both know Mabel. I don’t know how you don’t let them meet in that case. I mean, I’m enough of a purist that I wouldn’t have wanted them to solve a case together or anything, but it would have been super-cool if the final scene of the show had been Marple visiting London and Mabel introducing them. Just that would have been really fun. Anyway, whatever. Still a really good, if flawed, show that was even occasionally downright great. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – series finale is solid as usual and the show has a nice button on Mabel’s overarching character journey; a fun series all the way around. 3 ½ stars.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Watched the eighth and final episode of season 1 of Ratched. This series wasn't really what I was expecting; not in a good way at least. The only reason it caught my attention was the title character. She's supposed to be the same Nurse Ratched who makes Jack Nicholson's character's life in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest a living hell. But outside of her being a nurse, there's really nothing that can connect this precursor series to the movie and novel. There will be a second season eventually, but I'm not really looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021