main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Doctor Who: The Romans and The Time Meddler (both 1965). Two historical stories I decided to watch on a whim. The Romans is quite a witty script, though with some rather jarring darkness in Ian and Barbara's slavery subplot. The Time Meddler has more of a traditional shape, with the Meddling Monk as a very compelling villain, out to change the outcome of the Battle of Hastings.

Though I must say, the transfer of the Time Meddler prints are a lot rougher than most 60's Who. Grainy quality and some odd artefacts (including a very distracting distortion line throughout episode 3). Might be because the recovered film prints were in a rougher condition to that of The Romans, I know that some of the eps contained some censor cuts. Makes me wish for a bluray version someday, to see it cleaned up and crisper than the 2008 restoration.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Captain Planet and the Planeteers Season 2, Episode 26: Utopia

Kwame's nightmares provide a Days of Future Past episode for the Planeteers, with a parallel Earth taken over by street gangs and Sentinels. They didn't really do anything to disguise that this was all a dream, which is key to getting the audience to buy in.

The Planeteers got punk makeovers courtesy of Dr Blight.
    [​IMG]

There is a fun action scene of Cap trashing the robots and then re-programming them into robo-planeteers. Not only can he transform machines, he can re-program complex robots. Is there anything he can't do?

It's competent enough to be a welcome diversion from the usual episodes.

The Planeteer Alert warns to avoid gangs, who "create nothing and destroy everything".

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 2:22 “Lethal Trackdown”

Guess who finally caved and set up a VPN?

Anyway the biggest complaint I knew I would have going in - bad animation in exchange for scope and, oddly enough, really good lighting - holds extremely true. Nothing has ever hit the absolute nadir of the earliest production number (not air number) episodes in season one, which literally looked like they hadn’t finished rendering, but a lot of the mechanics moving these characters around are… well, like I said, bad. The show does not look good, which is a shame because I like the stylized designs and you know a lot of people put in a lot of hard work given the sheer amount of **** usually going on in each shot. But I’d rather a reduced scope where everything moved nicely. Then again, I’m 20 years older than the target demographic. This is life.

Writing-wise it’s a lot better. The movie and the two Jar Jar episodes were… um… complete ****, but for the most part the show ranges from “good kids’ show” to “legitimately interesting.” It’s easy to binge as a result of this, which is nice, because I have about seven seasons of this and four seasons of Rebels and then I’m watching The Mandalorian and goddammit why is there secretly so much Star Wars?!

*Ahem*

The three part finale of Season 2 focuses on everyone who was a child in the 1980’s favorite action figure, Boba Fett, as part of the nearly endless media machine devoted to enabling Gen Xers to reassure other Gen Xers that, no, they actually totally were right to think that was a cool toy, yeah he died like a punk after doing almost nothing, but actually, secretly, Boba Fett was super cool, and you’re super cool for liking him for no reason, and seriously it’s a little embarrassing at this point.

… Actually, did the Sarlacc ever kill anyone? I remember being a kid and reading those incredible (for certain definitions of the word) Jedi Prince books and the Sarlacc chokes to death on Jabba’s dad, who looks like Jabba but with bad blonde dreds. I’m pretty sure Boba Fett turned up alive no less than five times in the old EU, and he’s back again in the new EU for his Disney+ spin-off. What even is his motive? The writers of this three parter aren’t sure. Revenge? Well he doesn’t get that, and we know he doesn’t, so… I’ve got nothing. Hondo mentions a couple of times that Jango was honorable, but I seem to recall him shooting the assassin he hired to assassinate Padmé for… um… theoretically betraying him even though they’re both just paid assassins… and he hired… another assassin…

Attack of the Clones
    is a bad movie. Anyway, I’m not so sure Jango was the honorable man of honor he’s honorably honored as, but I suspect the show thinks he was. Unfortunately a lot of this all boils down to the fact that I just don’t care about Boba Fett enough in the abstract to care if he’s grappling with the ethical conundrum of whether wanting revenge and having a cool harmonica leitmotif deliberately invoking Once Upon a Time in the West justifies killing innocent people while he’s a Boba Teen. But aside from this bizarre tangent, this was a well put together finale. Looking forward to season three.

Okay, actually, while I’m ranting, for ****’s sake I’m sick of bounty hunters getting away in star ships that I know basically every main character could stop with the Force. It’s like if Finn had a great point in that scene on Starkiller Base. “We’ll use the Force!” I say to the protagonists. “That’s not how the Force works!” says Obi-Wan. “It is though! Why are you booing me? I’m right!” Use the Force you Jedi scum! It’s right there! Surrounding us, penetrating us, a powerful ally it is!

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The Tenth Doctor refers to the events of The Romans in the episode "The Fires of Pompeii."

darkspine10 and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Revisited the What If...? finale (Focused on the Voice acting particularly by Benedict, Chad and Toby Jones who was clearly having way too much fun with this Zola.) Though Ultron not picking up on the arrow seemed a bit of a stretch to me since he could destroy galaxies with a "single thought." Ah well. It's in the script and it's fine. :D

Really hope we see more of Strange Supreme (or another variant that Benedict can provide the voice for. His weariness here was spot on Doctor Strange. [face_love])

Loved seeing the Kirby crackles too. I hope the animation team uses more Kirby and adds some Ditko etc. to the mix. Really what I want is the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse team to do a Doctor Strange animated movie.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Captain Planet and the Planeteers Season 3, Episode 1: Greenhouse Planet

Update on the theme; Linka is now stated to be from eastern Europe, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union. It seems that Cap has lost his rad summoning music, too. That was one of my favorite bits.

There's a bizarre play with Cap: Kwame, Ma-Ti, and the POTUS (it's a thinly disguised Bush Sr, with such lines as "not gonna do it" and "man, am I bushed") get launched in a rocket toward Venus; Cap is summoned, but they break atmosphere before he can reach them. He tries to give his powers back to the Planeteers, but since Kwame and Ma-Ti are out of reach, Cap remains summoned with only his Earth and Heart powers, which even changes his appearance to pink and light green. It's actually a cool color scheme.

[​IMG]

This weird **** can be so funny if you accept it with a sense of humor.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    something on apple , a bunch of depressed middle-class bunch , getting all depressed about their other halves shagging someone else , honestly , a load of old ****

Master_Lok likes this.
  8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Veep, Season One, Episode II - Frozen Yoghurt

• Gary takes a bug bullet for the Veep.
    • POTUS has a heart thingy
    • Selina ***** herself on the way out of a Frozen Yoghurt shop
    • Lots and lots and lots of swears
    I love this show.

9. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Captain Planet and the Planeteers Season 3, Episode 2: A Creep from the Deep

Sly Sludge is dumping waste in the ocean, and a mutated giant squid takes revenge!

Pretty bad.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 3:20 "Citadel Rescue"

Season 3 is so all over the place as it tries to fill in the timeline and flesh out earlier episodes that it kind of ends up feeling unfocused. But I really enjoyed this Citadel three-parter if only for it deciding to elaborate on the first meeting between Anakin and Tarkin and the simultaneously brilliant and hilarious decision that they both like each other because they're both literally the only two people in the room who actually think the other person has a good point.

"I think we should... do a space fascism."
    "Wow, me too! I ****ing love space fascism!"
    "Alright, on three, say your favorite person to hang out with."
    "Okay."
    "1... 2... 3..."
    ""Chancellor Palpatine!""

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Fargo Season 3

Damn, Wrench and Numbers really did have the best theme tune going.

A very smart series that jumps the tears with writing that is perhaps even sharper now than when it originally aired.

TX-20 likes this.
  12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I bought Oz season one. I hear it's good.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Captain Planet and the Planeteers Season 3, Episode 3: The Deadly Glow

Based on the Goiânia accident. Street kids find radioactive material. The episode puts a twenty minute time limit on finding the kids before they suffer lethal exposure, which was effective in adding tension.

The wiki page I linked to was more interesting than this episode.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Invasion, the new series on Apple TV+. Pretty darn good, so far.

15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Captain Planet and the Planeteers Season 3, Episode 4: A Perfect World

A scientist has solved basically every form of pollution with one tech or another. She's built some kind of closed biodome to demonstrate; it's called Eden 2, I'm guessing the idea for it is very loosely inspired by Biosphere 2. Of course Dr Blight has to ruin everything.

A really dumb plot develops where Eden 2's computers are infected by a virus (for no reason, MAL already has control over them), so Kwame and Ma-Ti put on a helmets and go inside the computer to fight it. They show up as sprites on a monitor and it plays out like a video game. They summon Cap inside the computer and it's just the dumbest attempt to get in on the hacker craze.

There's a subplot with Wheeler and Linka alone and in danger. Linka is about to admit her feelings but of course they're saved just before she spits it out. They should just be cool teenagers and hook up already.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    The first episode of Oz was good, if violent and disturbing. Takes place in a prison, the Oswald State Correctional Facility. . Edie Falco is in it, pre Sopranos. And JK Simmons, and Ernie Hudson. Great cast actually. Michael from Lost as well. And Mr. Ekko.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Revisited What If…? episode 4 - Tge Strange vs Strange episode.

Gosh, I absolutely love this episode. Benedict was fantastic in the voice acting, the story was achingly tragic, a great rethink of Stephen’s origin, and all kinds of fun animation-wise.

I want to own a hard copy of this episode so badly. It’s just such a great ode to Doctor Strange and Be Careful What You Wish For. May we see Strange Supreme again.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Rew likes this.
  18. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: The Mind of Evil serial
    The Master uses a device that can supposedly purge criminals of violent thoughts and impulses to start World War III.

19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Billions, Season Five: Episode 12 - No Direction Home
    • The most Billionist Billions episode that Billions has ever done.
    • Gonna miss having Bobby Axelrod on the show.
    • Season Six (and beyond!) could be really interesting.
    • I love Maggie Siff

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What a great show..very tough but great. I rewatched it recently, last year I think. Glad someone else is watching it.

christophero30 likes this.
  21. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: The Five Doctors

Someone is taking the first five Doctors from their respective time streams and putting them into the Death Zone on Gallifrey.

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I saw 2 more episodes. Its great.

solojones likes this.
  23. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Oz was really great. Those early seasons were mind blowing at the time and all the rage must watch stuff. I thought it got wayyyy to soapy(no pun intended) in its later stuff though which really bummed me out.

Im rewatching Shameless now that it’s fully up on Netflix. On S2 Ep2

24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Captain Planet and the Planeteers Season 3, Episode 5: The Dream Machine

Zarm (now voiced by David Warner) is back and he's offering hispanic peasants everything they ever wanted. He has a machine they think is miraculous, but it just strips their local resources to produce what they desire. When they run out of resources, they ask for weapons to take resources from a neighboring village. Fairly subtle shot at consumer greed.

Cap's powers just keep growing. This time he magically changes the weapons and other consumer junk they asked for back into what they need; shovels, scrub brushes, wheelbarrows, etc. Well, it's not magic. The stuff was created by nanomachines in the first place, Cap just reprograms them. Because, you know, reprogramming nanomachines is a nature power. Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Nanomachines!

Cap kicks and headbutts Zarm's ship away (they're in some hispanic village, so soccer), and drops the "hasta la vista, baby" line, once again just blatantly ripping off Arnold, including his voice. Arnold still represented everything cool at the time, and they were obviously desperate for cool cred, but it's just cringe to rip him off like this. Come up with your own ****.

Like this. Cap always hits these really sexy, glorious poses when he's summoned.
    [​IMG]

Must feel good to be Earth's avatar. More stuff like this, fewer Arnold rip offs. They should have went all in with sensual dancing Captain Planet, like that Gamecube game P.N.03. I mean, it still would have failed spectacularly and everyone still would have viciously ridiculed it, but it would have given it maximum ironic entertainment value.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

It gets really dark at times but the character development is amazing.