main
side
curve

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    So, a whole week of watching since my last post.

TOS:
    Errand of Mercy
    . The most memorable thing about this episode is John Colicos's performance as Kor. Otherwise I just wanted to strangle the placid Organians all the time, even if the reveal at the end was cool.
    The Alternative Factor. I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy this episode, they got the matter-antimatter thing so wrong. Matter and anti-matter annihilate each other at the subatomic level, so the guy from the anti-matter universe wouldn't have been able to survive in ours for a millisecond, at least not without a very strong forcefield that would've effectively kept him outside our universe. He certainly wouldn't have been able to breathe our air!
    The City on the Edge of Forever. My favorite TOS episode, hands down. What a tragedy.
    Operation - Annihilate! Spock is my favorite TOS character, hands down, and this episode is one of the reasons why.

DS9:
    The Storyteller. A rather mediocre episode at best, I was just waiting for the resolution the whole time. The Bajoran negotiations were no better.
    Progress. Another episode where I liked the B story with Jake and Nog's business dealings better than the A story with Kira trying to persuade the old Bajoran to leave his home before it was going to be destroyed. I'm wondering how big the Bajoran population really is after the Cardassian occupation, because it doesn't seem worth it to destroy a habitable moon to give power to 200,000 homes...
    If Wishes were Horses. Weird things happen on the station. If anyone still thinks that Terry Farrell can't act, they should take a look at this episode. She plays two very different versions of Jadzia.
    The Forsaken. My favorite Lwaxana episode, I think that she really helped Odo by accepting all of him as he is, including him in his liquid state.
    Dramatis Personae. Another episode where the cast got to show off their acting by behaving in uncharacteristic ways. Normally I like a feisty Kira, but in this one she sure went over the top! Not even Mirror-Kira was as bad as this.

Lego Star Wars: Summer Vacation. I enjoyed this one for the laughs.

Juliet316 , Sarge and SHAD0W-JEDI like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed 100% and glad you enjoyed it. To add to all that, it also is the best piece of world-building I’ve ever seen. Yes, it’s Baltimore and it may seem strange to say world-building when not talking about sci-fi or fantasy. But the creators had to re-create the complicated social, economic, and political dynamics of the city for the show, and it’s both vast and deep that I still can’t believe they pulled it off. It’s the reason why I am drawn to shows like The Wire AND Battlestar Galactica (and the coming Andor, by the looks of it). They understand that you can’t present a believable character study without also treating the societies which they inhabit, which are made up of people, as characters too. The organism that is the city of Baltimore is just important to get right as the individual character of Bubbles or Stringer Bell. And that’s the genius of it, and why it works so well,

It’s the best TV show ever made, I believe.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    SHAD0W-JEDI likes this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Maybe Omega from Doctor Who was helping the anti-matter guy in the The Alternative Factor. :p

Arwen Sith likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 8

Oct 4, 1998
    The Orville, Season 3, Episode 5: A Tale of Two Topas
    After the first two lackluster episodes of the season, things are picking up a little. The story is still more interesting than the characters, who are mostly uninteresting to me. I've noticed that all the S3 episodes so far have been a little over an hour and they've been dragging on IMO. If they were restricted to broadcast standards, I wonder if they'd have managed to tighten up the story-telling and pick up the pace. Anyway, I'm still thinking Strange New Worlds is a better show. How much longer until next season?

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Another vote from me for "best TV show ever" for The Wire.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Force Ghost star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Man Who Fell to Earth s1 e10 "The Man Who Sold The World"
    This has been an excellent miniseries. Chiwetel Ejiofor was the standout, but he had superb supporting turns from Naomi Harris, Jimmi Simpson, Clarke Peters, and Bill Nighy. I wouldn't have guessed this show would be this good.

Binged the lot in two days. I went in blind, not having heard of the show, and thought it was great. Performances and cinematography were both top-notch. Choked me up a bit at the end, too.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

See I loved 1883. Tim McGraw is legit a great actor. And I don't like Yellowstone.

soitscometothis likes this.
  8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Force Ghost star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've not seen Yellowstone.

9. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    DS9: Duet. My favorite first season episode. Quite amazing acting and a great double bluff, and just as Kira realized that there might be some decency in some Cardassians in spite of everything, Marritza gets killed.

Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  10. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    The second half of the first season of The Mandalorian. We've seen it before, but watching it with my SIL. I enjoy her reactions.

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Finally finished all of Daredevil. It's pretty good and now I'm looking forward to the new series at D+

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    A Swamp Thing in Season 3 of Harley Quinn. Enjoyed it.

I need to finish Daredevil. I've only seen the first season.

Thena likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 8

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO that's the best DS9 episode of all, and as good as anything any Trek series has ever done. Something that impresses me about it is when you rewatch it and you understand what's really going on right from the start, it's just as powerful, maybe more so.

Arwen Sith likes this.
  14. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2021
    Northern Exposure: The Big Kiss
    It was a great episode. It was fun to see how it all ties in the end, it was a very well written show.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

It's not good..I've seen the first few episodes. 1883 is way better.

soitscometothis likes this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 6

Dec 19, 2015
    The Orville New Horizons episode 3

As others keep saying This is some of the best Star Trek ever made. Expert homages to classic Trek, cutting edge social commentary, a knack for avoiding trite solutions to complex problems, and just the right level of comedy below the threshold of what would sabotage the entire effort.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Doom Patrol S1E12 Cyborg Patrol

One of the best DC series.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I posted that after having finished season 2. Having now finished season 3, Jesus, Barry is a wreck. And so's Sally! And so's Hank! And so's Gene! And so's Fuches!

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 8

Oct 4, 1998
    The Orville Season 3 Episode 7
    That one had some really funny moments. IMO, this show is at its best when it leans into the funny stuff, but even that isn't as funny as any of the better comical episodes of Trek.

20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Force Ghost star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    S2 of Home on AppleTV+.
    I think/hope there are some more episodes left. Great series.

And on the topic of homes, last week I was thinking about Ray Bradbury's former Los Angeles home at 10265 Cheviot Drive, and how I felt a bit sad in 2015 about it being razed soon after it sold to the new owners. I searched for an update on the house, and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. Architect Thom Mayne and his wife built a home that I feel Ray himself would approve of.
    Before-photos, along with somewhat current street views can be found with the above address.
    https://www.architecturalrecord.com/articles/15584-alison-mayne-house-by-morphosis
    https://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-ray-bradbury-house-postmortem-20150122-story.html

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I have finally finished all three seasons of Jessica Jones. It has been quite a ride, and here's hoping maybe the series will be revived at some point, or at least her character brought back with the other ones being planned.

Healer_Leona and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 8

Oct 4, 1998
    I made it to the end of Orville. Just like the first two seasons, it was interesting enough that I kept watching, but I have no interest in rewatching any of it, and it won't bother me if they don't make any more. IMO it's better than bad Trek (Voyager, Discovery, Prodigy) but nowhere near as good as good Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, Lower Decks).

23. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    She-Hulk ep1

Juliet316 and Thena like this.
  24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    If you read about the making of this episode, it's not surprising that it's confusing. It was amazing they even managed to finish it.

Juliet316 and Arwen Sith like this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    MST3K Episode 1308 on the Gizmoplex. The movie: "The Batwoman". No, it's not either of the WB Batwomen, or the one from "Wild World of Batwoman". It's a totally unauthorized 1968 Mexican movie. Here, she's rich, she's skilled, she's a celebrated luchador, and she's a crime fighter. And he costume consists of cape, cowl and bikini. She's up against a mad scientist trying to accelerate human evolution yadda yadda yadda. It's cheesy, not very well dubbed, and it makes little sense. But it's still a reasonably fun movie.
    The riffing was top notch from Emily & the Simulator 'bots, including a few lines of "Every Country has a Monster" in Spanish. The host segments were also good. And, in the post-show Q&A, they used one of my submitted questions: "Would the DCEU be improved if they re-imagined every character as an attractive, female, bikini-clad, copyright-infringing Mexican wrestler?"

Sarge likes this.