main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Meddling

A documentary mini series (4 parts) about the 2002 figure skating pairs scandal in which Sale and Pelletier were robbed initially of gold medals.

Super interesting and human doc that looks at it from every angle..they even interviewed the French judge extensively.

It's both a wild story and one that influenced greatly how figure skating is scored now.

Highly recommended for people who like figure skating of course, but also just people who like sports docs or docs in general.

It's on Peacock.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls

When an attempt to see if Missy can become good goes horribly wrong, the Doctor must not only contend with Bill being turned into a Cyberman, but also the return of the Saxon Master.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Zorro, season 2 episode 15
    At long last, they're back home in Los Angeles. Cesar Romero has guest starred in a few episodes now and is quite the entertainer as a charming high-class con artist and scoundrel.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Not really what the thread is for but it’s the only tv thread so I ll put this here..

The up coming Animal Control looks sooooooo stupid!

On topic I’m in such a damn rut after getting cut off from Babylon 5 days ago I’ve only managed to get through a few episodes of S1 of Vox Machina and Stargate Atlantis S3 ep 14.

SG 1 is on Prime now so I will finish up S10 switching back and forth with Atlantis for the last 8 episodes like I was doing before it left Netflix.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Finished season 2 of That 70's Show and started season 3. The Halloween episode with all of the Hitchcock homages was really well done and funny.

And I watched episode 1 of That 90's Show just to check it out. It was decent and I'll go back to it later.

Dark Ferus likes this.
  6. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time

The 12th Doctor meets his first counterpart as they both refuse to regenerate.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Thunderbirds Episode 1: Trapped in the Sky (1965). A new atomic airliner has a bomb planted on its maiden flight, and only International Rescue and their daring equipment can save the day.

Having just come off watching Stingray, the immediate predecessor show using of the style of puppet effects, this first instalment of Thunderbirds is an enormous leap forward in quality. The level of effects work is utterly astonishing, with Derek Medding's team finally perfecting the 'used-future' aesthetic they'd been reaching towards. The fiery explosion are huge, the advanced ships and planes feel weighty while still retaining a creative 'future as only imagined 60's' look that remains iconic. Props must be given to the puppeteers too. The puppets themselves have attained a lovely caricatured looked that doesn't feel goofy like some previous ones in the older shows, and they move subtly enough to convey complex emotions and feel alive. The script perfectly outlines the show's formula, even having space to introduce several recurring guest characters in a brief subplot that feels naturally weaved in. Barry Gray's soundtrack is yet another win (though that was always the case, the man's a musical genius), with the Thunderbirds March being instantly definitive among his already amazing roster of music.

The runtime was increased to 50 minutes over previous show's 25, and the extra length gives so much more time for both light character interactions and tension building. It all culminates in the absolutely thrilling landing of the Fireflash plane, hurtling down a runway to land on 'elevator cars' that catch it to prevent an explosion. It's utterly captivating viewing. One can easily see why the series was extended to the longer runtime based on this pilot. The pinnacle of the 'puppet/model effects' medium, the closest thing to Star Wars' level of effects quality before... well, Star Wars.

8. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: Arachnids in the U.K.

The Doctor finally manages to get her companions back home, just in time to learn spiders are running amok around Sheffield and that a Trump-like character is involved somehow.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Zorro, season 2 ep 23
    The Cesar Romero arc ended satisfyingly, followed by a few stand-alones, and then an arc guest-starring Annette Funicello. Her acting is painful to watch, and her dialog is atrocious. What happened to the writers? They're usually so much better than that.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I just finnished watching the White Princess, and now watching the prequel the White Queen.

11. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: The Demons of Punjab

The Doctor and her companions travel to 1947 India just as the Partition is about to happen to find out more about Yaz's grandmother and her upcoming wedding.

Doctor Who: Kerblam!

After the Doctor gets a call for help, the Doctor and others go undercover at Kerblam to find the source of the message.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Zorro, season 2 episode 30
    Another arc with another villain, and a really villainous one at that, Jonathan Harris! That's right, Guy Williams and Harris worked together before Lost in Space. Harris, of course, nails the evil mastermind role with his practiced sneers. All that's missing are the trademark arrogant assonances. His insults still have that familiar tone, though.

Master_Lok and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Abraham: Part 1
    (1993) – Joseph Sargent

This is the first part of a two-part miniseries on Abraham that kicked off a larger series of Bible-based TV movies & miniseries. Make sense? With a full running time of almost 3 hours and ten minutes, this series has the time to expand the story and dig into the characters and it does it really well. This one gives us some extra-Biblical backstory on Abraham and his family issues that lead to him striking out on his own when he is spiritually awakened to the presence of the one true God. It then takes us up to the FIRST fall of Sodom & Gomorrah, when Lot & his family are taken captive as slaves; that’s a part of the Abraham narrative that most people just leave out entirely and it’s also a darn good cliffhanger with a nice action battle scene leading into it. This miniseries is available on blu-ray where you can watch it as a single three-hour-and-ten-minute movie; I actually kind of prefer splitting it up since that’s how it was originally broadcast and because that cliffhanger to this episode really works. And I should say that, on blu-ray, the image quality is surprisingly good; for a television production that’s thirty years old now, it looks great. You can tell a lot of money went into it. It also boasts a solid ensemble in supporting roles: Vittorio Gassman as Abraham’s father Terah, Barbara Hershey as Sarah and Maximillian Schell as the Egyptian Pharaoh. Gassman and Schell are both only in this first episode, not the second.

But the real star here is . . . well, the star, Richard Harris, who is genuinely brilliant. Abraham is a patriarch most known for his great faith, but Harris finds doubt and real vulnerability in the character. His Abraham is deeply troubled and sorrowful at times, struggling with his relationship with God and the way it impacts his relationships with those around him. And yet the series never makes Abraham seem like a lunatic or offers a “revisionist” take on him; it just views the icon as a genuinely good man trying to do the right things who also failed in those efforts and struggled with his faith. I really do love this miniseries; more on episode two shortly. 4 stars.

tl;dr – part one of a two part miniseries does a great job expanding the Biblical narrative of Abraham in a respectful, but interesting way; star Richard Harris gives a fantastic performance. 4 stars.

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The White Queen came first, The White Princess is the sequel.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah got them mixed up and now into the spanish princess. Loving this new universe.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    soitscometothis likes this.
  16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: The Witchfinders

The Doctor and her companions arrive in early 1600's England as witch hunts are going on.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, not an episode per se, but sometimes a House clip comes up on Youtube and well, you can't watch just one. I never watched the show when it aired but these clips are like chips.

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The White Lotus Seasons 1 & 2
    Simultaneously not sure why I watched this series and also want a Season 3

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Zorro, season 2 episode 33
    Sergeant Garcia and Corporal Reyes have become one of my all-time favorite comic duos. Reyes' deadpan responses to Garcia's rubber faced expressiveness kills me.

20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    MasterClass.
    Steve Martin, Bob Iger, and Deadmau5.

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    On S1 finale of Rome. Man I soooo wish HBO hadn’t cancelled this show and we got the planned full trip the had in store for us. I believe it was 6 seasons covering like 100 years of the early empire. It would have been fun.

Think I ll rerewatch Carnival afterwards. That was another gem that was planned for 6 seasons and only got 2.

soitscometothis and solojones like this.
  22. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: Resolution

The 13th Doctor and her companions encounter a Recon-class Dalek, who had been previously defeated and separated in 9th century Earth.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Rome remains great as a short series but yeah... Imagining what could have been is hard.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Abraham: Part 2
    (1993) – Joseph Sargent

This episode concludes the Abraham miniseries in a really powerful way. It has more of the well-known material from the Abraham story than Part 1 did, but it does it all very well. This one begins where Part 1 left off with Abraham mounting a rescue mission to save his cousin Lot from slavery and ends with the climactic journey to Mount Moriah to sacrifice Isaac. I’ll just once again point out how amazingly good Richard Harris is in this role. And there is one scene here that I’ll bring up as a good example of how excellent this miniseries is: Melchizadek, the High Priest of Salem (later to be known as Jeru-salem), appears in one scene here and that’s a scene from the Bible that I’ve never seen before in an adaptation. He doesn’t really do anything for the plot, but thematically he’s a very important figure in the overall mythos of Abraham and he’s a very important character emotionally, the first person outside of his own camp that Abraham has encountered who has also had a revelation of the one true God. The scene is well-written and gets to exactly that point. And that’s what I mean when I say that this adaptation seems to have been written by people who actually know the text really well and even, to the degree any of us do, understand it. They at least have a deeper understanding of the Biblical text than a lot of people who write Biblical adaptations. That’s what makes this miniseries so refreshing and, ultimately, really emotionally moving. It’s a great piece of work. 4 stars.

tl;dr – part 2 of this epic miniseries wraps things up perfectly with a nuanced script that actually understands the Biblical narrative; Richard Harris’ performance is once again fantastic. 4 stars.

Sarge likes this.
  25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    It’s been awhile since I last heard the layout but iirc we were going to get up to Trajan.

Im on S2 ep 7 now.

Also got on YouTube to try and find the old I Claudis I saw a number of years ago. It’s still on there but they are all subbed in Spanish which would be very distracting to watch. That was a great show also.