main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 6 Redemption Part 2 and Descent

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Scandal: Sweet Baby (2012)

[​IMG]

So, taking a break from Veep for another, assumedly differently toned, political show. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Scandal and so I’m giving it a try despite the fact that it’s on *gasp* ABC. Kerry Washington stars as Olivia Pope, the head of a crisis management firm in Washington, DC. This is a really great episode, actually. The series is apparently going to have a season-long story arc and also have a new story every episode and this episode manages to make them both feel like they’re given enough screen time. I found the episode specific story to be surprisingly moving and I loved the fact that Pope & Associates were able to clear their client without finding the real killer; “That’s for the police to do,” one of the characters says, and I kind of love that the episode closes without the murder actually being solved. The season-long arc revolves around a White House intern claiming she slept with the President. The President is ably played by Tony Goldwyn and his Chief of Staff is perfectly played in a wily, suspicious turn by the always great Jeff Perry. The two scenes between Goldwyn and Washington are the obvious highlights of the episode; the two of them have genuine chemistry and this episode sets up the rest of the season perfectly. Season One was a test season of only seven episodes, so we should be done here pretty quick. Color me incredibly excited. This is a great pilot. Highly recommended. 4 stars.

tl;dr – fantastic pilot introduces a stellar cast; Goldwyn and Washington are phenomenal together and the episode excites for the rest of the season. 4 stars.

More Scandal Reviews!

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The final ep of Rebels to date.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 6 Frozen and Nightwalkers

5. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    season 5 episode 1 of Lost

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Scandal: Dirty Little Secrets (2012)

[​IMG]

Solid follow-up to the strong pilot. The episode specific plot revolves around a famous Washington, DC, madam that may be forced to release her client list to the US Attorney’s office and one politician in particular that could cause a big problem for the President if he’s outed in a prostitution sting. Henry Ian Cusick, from Lost, is one of the supporting characters on the show and the episode kind of deals with the subject matter in a really interesting way by having him actually be a client himself. This leads to some great discussions about the nature of prostitution, etc. It isn’t a social justice class, but it’s done with wit and some genuine incisiveness. Everyone continues to be really great in their respective roles and the episode has a twist I genuinely didn’t see coming. Guest star Megan Gallagher does a great job in the climactic scenes of the episode. And Bellamy Young is introduced as the First Lady and she’s a pitch perfect Laura Bush manqué. This is how you do procedural/serial television. Recommended. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – second episode both advances the season-long story arc and contains a wonderful story of the week; shows usually can’t balance both, but this one does. 3 ½ stars.

More Scandal Reviews!

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 6 Abyss and Shadow Play

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Seinfeld. The episode where George battles with another guy over a parking spot.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That one is so fun. George should have moved in sooner.

ShaneP and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    So darn good. That little bald guy with the glasses is hilarious. The one that yells all the time.

The Walking Dead: Days Gone Bye (2010)

[​IMG]

So, I’ve got some friends who are dead freaks for this show and I was hanging out with one of them the other day and we had some time to kill and he said why not queue up the first episode of the show and let me see what all the fuss was about it. Well, he did and I did. It’s a really fantastic pilot. The episode starts with a low-key, quiet suspense sequence at an abandoned gas station and when it goes violent it does so in a really shocking way. The show signals immediately what the tone is going to be; get with it or get out. I liked the central conceit of the main character waking up from a coma in the aftermath of the apocalypse. The long first act, in which he slowly wanders the halls of an abandoned hospital, finding more and more horrific clues the farther he goes, is a masterpiece of suspense based horror. The show is packed with great images; a zombie with no legs slowly crawling through a park, a man riding a horse into an abandoned Atlanta, a pale hand slowly reaching through the crack of a chained door. It definitely sets things up in a really gripping and thrilling way. I could see how one could get hooked on this show. It was already on my list of shows to watch at some point, but I’m definitely excited now to get into it at some point. Unfortunately, it’ll have to wait; I’ve got too many shows already queued up to jump into this one right now. But still, what a fantastic pilot. Highly recommended. 4 stars.

tl;dr – pilot is instantly iconic, gripping and suspenseful; episode sets up the show perfectly to go in many intriguing directions. 4 stars.

Sith-I-5 and Juliet316 like this.
  11. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Love and Hip Hop: Reunion part II

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I was shocked to realize that he's Pintel from the Pirates of the Caribbean series. You know, the one of the comic-relief pirate pair who isn't Gareth from The Office.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

:eek: Whoah! He is! I had no idea also.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I binged Broadchurch. It was alright. I guessed the killer pretty early on, but that may be because I had read about it. I don't remember. A lot of cliches and some great moments.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Episode 6 from Big Bang Theory - S4

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Seinfeld. Episode with Dan, the guy with the very high-pitched voice. Also starring Chancellor Palpatine from the Clone Wars as Elaine's boss.

This is also the episode where George is sure the waitress keeps using her middle finger at him intentionally to point things out.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 6 The Other Guys and Allegiance

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Constantine ep 1: Didn't think much of it.

Black Sails episode 1: This one I'll watch more of.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 6 Cure and Prometheus

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Stargate SG-1 Season 6 Unnatural Selection

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The Simpsons... Simpsorama. Although ridiculously unnecessary, this Futurama/Simpsons crossover works well enough... the plot to get the various characters together works, there's some nice moments with Bender at Moe's, and of course it was good to see him/Fry/Leela/The Professor, and some others (Hermes, Zoidberg and Amy) again. This episode would have benefited from a 60-minute length, as some more time with the Simpsons in the future would have been nice; only 2 real complaints: 1) Fry was completely underused here and 2) a throwaway background gag with Seymour -waiting outside of Panucci's Pizza, of course- was completely not needed.

22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Futurama, Season 1, Episode 2. I have so many TV show marathons to get through!

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, tell me about it. I'm working my way through Stargate SG-1, and I got season 3 of Game of Thrones for Christmas, so when I am done with the SGC, its on to Winterfell.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 6 Sight Unseen and Smoke and Mirrors.

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Autopsy: The Last Hours of Elvis Presley... it was strangely fascinating.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.