main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Just realized...I kinda never beat video games anymore. I think with each decade I come less and less close to beating a game. lol

Grand Theft Auto series... nope
    Red Dead ... nope.
    Elder Scrolls .... nope
    Doom (the last one) ... nope
    The Witcher ... not even close
    Assassin's Creed ... nope
    Zelda ... pff, I wish.

You'd have to go back to PS1 days
    Tomb Raider, all of them, Doom Remake, Katamari Damacy, Kings Field, FF7,

christophero30 likes this.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Nope, the Arkham Knight's tank suddenly spawned under the GCPD (a known issue) and the forums say I need a controller to make the game load a previous save...

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I've been playing Doom on the PS one. I feel guilty because I used the level select cheat. But to do that (you have to start the game and then pause it) you need the big weapons, as the later levels are hard.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    My favorite part of Doom was trying to 'get outside'. Every once in a while there would be a shot of the outside world, green hills. gray sky, peering through a window. I mean, it was just a painted background. But at 15 I was like..I wanna get outside the map.

christophero30 likes this.
  5. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Yes the atmosphere is amazing. The PS one game has really spooky music which I like better than the PC guitar rock. @DarkGingerJedi I just saw your King's Field post. I LOVE that game. The second one too.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Ugh, don’t remind me of those damn racing segments. I think I was stuck on one for almost a week. It was miserable.

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I love the Crash Bandicoot games but I hate those running into the screen levels. When the big boulder is chasing you. I must have gotten flattened by that boulder 30 times.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

I had a few problems with this first game in the Uncharted series. Like I said in the other thread, the combat is not very varied. Enemies swarm you while you duck for cover and shoot. Over and over and over. The upriver sequence is also just not fun. Other then a few other nitpicks though it was a very enjoyable game. It had a lot of great humor, the story had me intrigued until the very end, the characters were a lot of fun, the platforming segments were a lot of fun. Overall it felt like being in an Indiana Jones film and I can’t complain about that!

9. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Are you playing through this series for the first time? Oh boy, you're gonna be amazed at the quality jump from the first to second game. I gave the first one an 8/10 while the next three got the easiest 10/10's I've ever given.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yep now you've made it through the mediocre one and can go play the great ones.

Jedi Ben and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm the weirdo who rates the first Uncharted game really highly. Sure, there's a loooooooooot of combat, but I felt some of the later games never strung their encounters together in a way that flowed well enough. Which is probably better for story terms, but since I love the basic run and gun style, having a bunch of those one after the other can be fun in its own way. Though 2 still blew it out of the water in terms of variety :)

As for what I've recently played, last game I beat was Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, one of the best in the series for me. Story, the open world, the ship mechanics, it all works perfectly together. I'm doing a full series marathon as I habitually do (AC is basically my comfort food in terms of gameplay) and onto Rogue, which is... mixed, to be charitable. It's a both overstuffed and undercooked mess of a game, that does have some charms that shine through (stealth gameplay is much more enjoyable than in IV and some of the locations are cool). Boy howdy is the story complete trash though, which is a real shame since it's a prequel to AC3, my favourite of all, and a sequel to the aforementioned ACIV (the AC timeline is weird ;)).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep, this is my first time playing any of the games! I started the second game right after I finished the first and I can already see what you all are talking about the quality jump from the first one. That train sequence that opens the game had my heart pounding throughout and the museum was a nice introduction to who I assume will be one of the main villains. I just arrived at Borneo when I was forced to stop to cook dinner. :p

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Good I am so happy you moved right on..that train sequence is one of the best opening sequences ever.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I really liked how it opened on Nate where it seems like he’s just sleeping on a train and then as it pulls back you realize something’s not quite right. Then it just throws you into the action of trying to get the hell to safety somehow. Brilliant!

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Arguably THE best opening sequence. Besides having brilliant action packed gameplay, it also sets up a great mystery when it takes you back in time so you have to keep playing to find out just how he got in that situation.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep. This one has me hooked right from the beginning whereas the first one took a little longer for me to get invested.

Jedi Ben, Jordan1Kenobi and solojones like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One of the worst UC1 bits was that Cathedral section where you have to do lots of jumps perfectly, without checkpoints. There a couple of others like it earlier - scaling the fort I think, but UC2 really improved on these.

18. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, just in time for its 10-year anniversary

darkspine10 likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Finished up the original STALKER with the mod that fixed the many, many bugs in it (but it was still a delightful game!) Halfway through the prequel, then onto Call of Pripyat, the best of the bunch.

20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I'm playing Alien Trilogy and Dark Forces on the Psone. They are fun, although you can't see at all when you go into dark caves or tunnels.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Sniper Elite 4 It's a fun game with great mechanics. The AI is pretty good-- clever enough to make it challenging (e.g., they notice when a comrade is missing). The Kill Hitler and Deathstorm missions are the hardest to get through without being detected.

22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Just finished Mass Effect 1 for the first time

Great Story, sets up 2 & 3 nicely (already finished those) but I never want to drive the Mako ever again.

Replaying ME2 now but with an imported story.

I've decided to hang fire on Ghost of Tsushima until I get the PS5 then I'll try it again

solojones likes this.
  23. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    I just beat the main campaign of Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It's my first AC game and I didn't know what to think of it at the beginning, but after a few days of playing it really began to grow on me. The combat is fun (though frustrating at times because I'm not the best gamer), the voice acting was good (I chose Kassandra) and the overall story was okay, as well. What I most enjoy is that there is a lot to do. So, even though I finished the campaign, I still have on the docket: the Cultists, the
    Atlantis quest
    , the regular-degular quests, those extended (blue-icon) quests, and the arena stuff.

After I wrap up all of that, I'm going to jump into the FFX + X-2 HD Remaster. I'll do FFX first and then come back around to X-2 after playing another game.

Jedi Ben and solojones like this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh I finished Yakuza Kiwami and moved on to Yakuza Kiwami 2. Kiwami wasn't as good as 0, but few things are. It was still very good. I am happy about Kiwami 2 so far but also don't think I will finish it before the PS5 comes out and I start Miles Morales and then Valhalla.... So yeah. Don't know when exactly I will be able to substantially progress on my Yakuza journey.

Jedi Ben and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yakuza is another series I need to start.

Jedi Ben and solojones like this.