main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Mafia III is the best of the three, hands down. And yeah, Donovan is great - all way to the twist at the end.

I do love when you die during an important mission, the FBI guy in the future goes "and then he died. Wait, that's impossible!"

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I bounced off of Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018), after playing for a few hours and not really enjoying myself much. The gameplay felt stilted and repetitive, the characters rather bland for the most part, and too many layers of crafting/upgrades/weapons that made simply riding around a tedious experience. Some props go to world design, which was very pretty, but I really wasn't feeling it.

Thankfully, Ghost of Tsushima (2020) was much more up my street. It seems that after the incredibly enjoyable inFAMOUS games, the developers at Sucker Punch decided to go out and make the best damn Assassin's Creed game they could! All jesting aside, I'm quite fond of the recent AC formula, and Tsushima overcame several of those lesser titles simply by dint of not being over 200 hours long. Still, it's your standard sneaking and stabbing, infiltrating camps and exploring the world. Unlike, say, the Shadow of Mordor series, which felt like a unique evolution of the AC formula with the addition of the Nemesis system, Tsushima is content to simply use the standard structure. One aspect that differs in the combat system, which reflects the samurai trappings well. There are multiple stances and techniques for the enemy types, and blended with the stealth it was a quite compelling gameplay loop.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The Legend of Zelda (NES Classic) -- Took me a little over 4 hours. I don't have a memory of this game as I didn't play it in my childhood, but I do watch a lot of Zelda 1 randomizer and speed runs so I found all the hearts containers, some of the rupee secrets, and only got hit with 1 door repair. I never got the Magical Key out of 8 but I think I got everything else. I did use an online map to help with 9 and I did create a save state before fighting Ganon as I had no potion left and only 6 hearts which I'm glad I did because he killed me on my first attempt but then I got him on my second.

In progress - These are taking me forever it feels like as I'm not super into them. They're fun but a little tedious I guess. Hard to be in the mood for them. I can maybe play them for an hour then I'm done.
    • Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch)
    • Astral Chain (Switch)
    Stuck -
    • TMNT Shredder's Revenge (Switch)
      • I can't seem to beat the Technodrome on my own and my wife has no interest in playing it with me
    • Twelve Minutes (Mobile)
    On Deck -
    • TLOU Part 1 (PS5) - I got this for Christmas and I was going to play this before the show as a refresher from years ago, but never got around to it. It's still sitting in my PS5 ready to go

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Bioshock 2- running through the Bioshock series. The sequel was just as tedious and unnecessary as I recalled, the best part being the DLC - much like Mafia II or GTA IV, the DLC for the game was a million times more interesting; and here it had little to do with the main game. (Bioshock 2 suffered from an obvious refocus from the single player to multiplayer in development, leaving the game unfinished in places). The horror of the original is nothing as you play a Big Daddy rather than a hapless person thrust into an insane underwater world on the original. Also, you go through what the most tedious and boring parts of Rapture.
    Currently on Bioshock Infinite.

darkspine10 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Bioshock 2 is the epitome of an inferior sequel. It lost everything that made the first game a unique, interesting experience. The atmosphere is totally gone. The creepy horror, the tension, the clever jump scares, all gone. The humor is almost entirely gone. The learning experience is totally gone. It's just a generic actioner.

I will say that it polished and perfected the action. It allowed you to wield plasmids and guns simultaneously, though I can argue that that's a bad thing. It took the plasmids and plasmid combos further. They gave you a way to hack at range. They made the camera a video camera that ran while you used weapons and plasmids, making it easier to use. It eliminated a lot of redundancies like the chemical thrower, though again I can argue that that's a bad thing. I do appreciate that they realized that the best action in the first game were the relatively rare scripted sequences that you could prepare for, and jam packed the sequel with them. Guarding the Little Sisters. Big Sister attacks. New Big Daddy types. Those are by far the most fun parts of the game, and there's a ton of them. You can set tons of traps, prep your specialty ammo, hack stuff, summon bots, etc. They packed those areas with environmental boons like oil slicks you can set on fire, water you can use to electrocute, explosive barrels, etc. Those were a little too uncommon in the first game, the second game is full of them. You get the full combat experience during those scripted sequences, and they're good fun. It's just too bad the Rapture experience, the selling point of the first game, isn't any fun.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    blackmyron likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The last game I beat is Deus Ex: Invisible War. I'm not going to talk about the bad stuff.

I do think the faction development in the first two cities is truly stunning. It's so clever, nuanced, and manipulative that it's really striking if you pay attention, and even if you don't. I think it should catch up to you at some point, even if you're playing mindlessly. It's some of the best faction building I've ever seen in a game, and it certainly stands head and shoulders above the games in and around 2003. It's way ahead of it's time, when games were very black and white. It pulls quite a twist on you, which is a million times better than the game's actual plot twist that wastes the work they did. It's so manipulative, it turned me from completely supporting Faction A to completely supporting Faction B, despite not really doing anything particularly dramatic, without any backstabs or secret reveals, without changing the character of either faction, despite me being the perfect example of a fan who is naturally opposed to Faction B. I think most Deus Ex fans were probably naturally opposed to Faction B, and what the game does early on naturally pushes one to oppose Faction B without thinking. I think a lot of fans, including myself early in my first playthrough, never really noticed the subtlety of what they were doing and probably never switched allegiance the way I did. It's probably too subtle to overcome the natural prejudice against Faction B. I think, if people had noticed, the game would be held in higher esteem than it is. It's too bad everything else about the game overshadows the faction development.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just over 95 hours later and I have, in Elder Scrolls Online:

- Completed the Ebonheart Pact story

- Started but not finished Morrowind

- Have stuff to finish in Coldharbour.

- Completed the main quest.

- Completed the Fighters Guild quest.

- Midway through the Mages Guild

The final quests for the main game were sadly a mix of the good and the goddamn awful of game design. The latter comprising enemy groups being warped in, many AI allies and lots of chaos. A dark chamber section so dark you can't see where to go, this was immensely irritating and killed the momentum it had built up dead.

Got past that and the next bit, started the final quest, get powered up. What followed was very epic and very fun, with it finishing with a duel with Molog Bal. Then, once you get him low enough, it does this very odd sequence where he gets to almost kill you, then a load of monologing. It was very unsatisfying after the lead-up.

Still, it's done now, don't have to keep returning to the Harbourage too.

There's a lot to like in this game, the CP system particularly. But damn, it makes some very clunky moves at times.

blackmyron likes this.
  8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I need to get back to ESO. once I finish roughly 50 or so other games...

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Immortality (2022). This game was extremely my jam, you explore three incomplete movies, an overly-bilbically inspired Italian sexploiation flick, a New York noir about detached artists and fetishes, and a late 90's Hannah Montana-esque double identity pop star movie that veers into an abuse narrative halfway through. These three movies are linked by their main star, the enigmatic Marissa Marcel. Progress in the game is shown via various pieces of live-action production footage, readthroughs, rehearsals, aborted takes, interviews, which all combine to give you the rough outlines of the three movies, as well as a layer of paratext around their creation, with a further hidden narrative layer regarding the concept of immortality as a film star, and both the negative and positive outcomes of such a hollow life.

First of all, the glimpse at in-progress movies is fascinating, with differing aspect rations, film stock, and other minor details being used to anchor you in the material reality of filmmaking in the early-70's/late 90's. You travel via zooming in on faces or objects, ending up in mixed-up parts of all three movies and it's your job to both assemble the narrative and come to your own conclusions. Messing around with reversing footage leases to even more secrets hidden within the technical gaps in the medium. There's a powerful story about sexual abuse in the industry, but it's so effectively told by relying on implication and metaphor. The linking of disparate clips is excellent, allowing you to analyse bits of information about the three individually and as a wider whole when they come together. You become a film editor, not just gathering all the parts of a film, both in production order and as a story, but also lending a meaning to offhand comments and innocuous framings.

A truly memorable experience, both from it's unique gameplay (where much of the actual fun comes from the moments in-between watching clips, when you can theorise and speculate) and the subtle themes weaved throughout. The games doesn’t so much end with the credits, but at whatever point you feel satisfied with a conclusion to all your interpretations of the text. I played with my sisters, and our ending came on a clip with a particular song present in two forms. It was haunting, and bittersweet, and so perfectly wrapped everything up in a bow.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  10. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Finally finished up the Bioshock Infinite main game. I haven't played for about 7 years. Yeesh, what a frustrating mess.

There's touches I did love - the Luteces, the altered music from the future. But the game suffers a lot from the radical redesigns over its development. I kept up with some of more fascinating parts. Like that they were going to have a 'dynamic' environment where any structure could potentially fall apart in combat; a setting in the middle of the war, where you go choose to engage/fight/ignore the factions; and very different roles for the ghost-like figure (a regular enemy rather than just Lady Comstock) or the Blueboys (that required you to be silent to avoid battle, rather than a generic gaze). There's also the weird graphics choices, where you have fine detail in a building... and then flat piles of fruit that look like they came from a different game made a decade earlier. And then, the final battle against... waves of generic enemies. Ugh.
    Ah, well. I have the DLC Bioshock story to look forward to.

11. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I've played lots and lots of Resident Evil 4 Remake. Which of course means I still have many more runs to go. I've enjoyed the hell out of it though. Playing on both PC and PlayStation, I nearly have the 100% on both platforms.

12. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Finished Skyrim. Took me a full year to do it. And pissed off my family because I monopolized the TV for most of the time.

I tried moving on to Minecraft Dungeons, but it's gotten stupid hard. Walking through the game defeating mobs and then five super-mobs come out. They've got electrifying, thorns and deflect. Basically untouchable. Happens almost every time at the level we are now.

13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Rolled credits on my second play through of Resident Evil 4 (2023) and while there’s other titles I’m looking forward to this year, it’s that this one is ultimately going to be my GOTY pick.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm working on this one myself. It's pretty cool. So, are there credits? Like is there a definitive end-point or do I just . . . stop playing at some point? No spoilers obviously. How long did it take you to complete?

darkspine10 likes this.
  15. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Me and my sisters played for two lengthy evening sessions, each taking about 6 hours if I remember right.

Avoiding spoilers, you will hit credits at some point, but it comes at something of an arbitrary point through your exploration of the bigger picture. It’s a specific trigger that sets it off, but you can keep playing afterwards with no progression reset. After that the game only really ends when you choose, be it when you find a satisfying explanation or analysis to events, or when you gather every last clip.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Finished Cold Steel 4 early this morning at 3am. Chefs kiss

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Huge CS4 spoiler:

"I, Reichels Drise Arnor, created your world, come at me with all that you have!"

Talk about an epic confrontation, at least four games in the making.

And, in July, we finally get to continue the story.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    So epic..

I may have such a hole in my soul that I’m not booting up a CS game for the 1st time since 4/17/20 everyday minus a few days for 2020 hurricanes that I may struggle to not go ahead and start Zero today instead of XC3.. just so I can dip back into the world of Zemuria.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, next is the Crossbell arc.

No word as to when we get the first of the Calvard trilogy.

And, if we all keep buying them, maybe one day a Trails In The Sky trilogy remaster.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I’m not expecting Calvard for yrs. We are only a few months away from western Reverie launch and that’s been out 2 years in Japan. Calvard 1 hasn’t even launched there yet. I really wish Falcom would do the job we have to wait for NIS/XSeed to do.

The wait times are ridiculous.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    With the amount of text in the games I'm more understanding of the time needed for translation to multiple languages, plus voice acting to match. I'd settle for a confirmation they are heading west.

Pretty certain Calvard 1 is out in Japan, with 2 either out or soon to be.

22. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - Pretty much have zero familiarity with this series, but found this to be a blast.

Reynar_Tedros and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That reads as a perfectly fitting review for that game.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    My local public library actually has a copy of that game for anyone to borrow. I haven't had any intention of buying it, but I would at least consider borrowing it. So you're saying that you can enjoy it without knowing the backstory at all?

25. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012