main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What was the reaction to Mon Mothma?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by StartCenterEnd, May 31, 2020.

1. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    We all know about people’s reactions to the original Star Wars, Vader being Luke’s dad, the great Jedi Master Yoda being a little green alien, Ewoks, Leia as Luke’s sister etc etc but was there any reaction to finally meeting the de facto leader of the rebel alliance? Were there any of the anti feminist people we hear today whining that Star Wars was becoming too PC having a woman as their leader?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I never heard anyone complain about that as a kid or since

Avnar, jc1138 and Sarge like this.
  3. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Stuff people saw as a kid is grandfathered in. It's just "the way things are". Stuff they see now as adults - even if it's the exact same idea - can get pilloried for the flimsiest of reasons.

4. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I've never understood why people complain about strong women in Star Wars. It's been like that since the very beginning with Leia yet people try to make out like it's a new thing. Even worse is that that they make it out to be a bad thing which IMO is just sexist.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was surprised there was someone in the Rebellion with more political rank than Princess Leia. In ANH and ESB, she seemed to be the one in charge of overall direction of the movement. It wasn't until RotJ that it became clear that she was only leading one cell.

6. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I don't know, but I can't look at her now without saying "F.Y.I all you single guys. My emotional stage, really isn't the greatest"

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    There was no negative reaction to Mon Mothma that I was aware of.

I clearly remember as a kid questioning why the Rebel leaders on Yavin weren't the same Rebel Leaders on Hoth. For Return of the Jedi I accepted the leadership change how it went fighting the Empire. I was more interested in knowing who the new leaders were. I liked that there were two new military leaders and for the first time we met the main leader of the Rebellion. I saw Mon Motham as the president of the good guys.

Guess I never saw Leia as the main political leader. Still Mon Mothma is crucial to the movie as her existence allows Leia to leave the Rebellion and search for Han and go on the mission to Endor.

In the Sequel Trilogy Leia finally fills the Mon Mothma role doesn't she?

8. kythe

kythe Jedi Knight

Jun 25, 2010
    I find it more interesting how few female characters there are at all. The fact that Leia and Mon Mothma were in positions of leadership helps balance this out.

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  9. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    The "rubber-head aliens" in the OT - the freaks, monsters, etc. used as background characters - were overwhelmingly male. Even in the ROTJ "Lost Pilots" reel, there are female pilots, and alien pilots, but no female alien pilots.

10. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    I didn’t pay her much attention. I was too baffled by MOD Edit Not the best behaviour for a covert mission.

Baz Edit: Not appropriate.

@anakinfansince1983 @cubman987

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2020
  11. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I had a more isolated experience of Star Wars as a kid. It was something only I seemed to love that much back then, so I can only reference my own reaction to her. I remember feeling that she was a wise, strong leader, but also a sensible, caring one. Except for the strong leadership bit, she felt like the exact opposite of the Emperor to me (she obviously is, but those were my impressions as a 5 years old).

12. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    I always liked how much we did NOT see of the rebellion. It wasn't really clear who was on charge on Hoth (operationally it seems to be Riekan, but Leia must have some sort of leadership role). The generals and admirals in ANH are not seen in ESB or RotJ. This all hints at a much larger though fractured alliance.

13. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Oh really??? How do you know that? In fact, how can you know which of the other aliens, like the Jawas, Dianoga, Wampa, Rancor, Sarlacc etc. are male or female?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Ithorians and Sarge like this.
  14. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    That's such a great point. When the Ninth Sister Inquisitor was introduced in a Darth Vader comic, I remember thinking "oh, what a shame that they didn't include another female Inquisitor"... she was female alright, just a Dowutin female! I've liked that character ever since for being so far away from the traditional female beauty standard so traditional in comics and such.
    Actually, weren't several Cantina characters, at least in legends, female? I remember Sai´torr Kal Fas, Chachi de Maal, Wioslea, Kabe, M'iiyoom Onith, Kitik Keedkak among others...

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Never really put much thought into Mon Mothma. Female leaders have always been a normal thing to me anyway, just look at the Queen of England! The fact that having strong and leading female characters can annoy people makes me laugh, because it shows just how pathetic they are.

I remember when The Last Jedi came out, someone actually took their time to edit out every single female character. I still can't get my head around that. But I guess since my mind isn't screwed up like theirs, I never will understand it.

Ahsoka, Rey, Jyn, Padme, Leia, Satine, Hera, Sabine, Satele, Shaak, Aayla, Luminara, Enfys, Tallie. Female Star Wars leaders have always kicked ass!

16. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    That was exactly my impression when I first saw ROTJ in 1983.

Bazinga'd , Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The more I think about it Leia should have been in the Mon Mothma role. But this gave us the big 3 on another adventure, so it was a good choice.

Sarge and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  18. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The UK had a queen and a female Prime Minister at the time, I don't think it ever became a talking point, I guess there would probably be more fuss if we got a female main villain now amongst feminists.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  19. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    I doubt she even registered much to a pre-adolescent kid. I know she didn't to me. It was all about the core characters.

20. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I don't remember much, if any, of a reaction. They didn't introduce her as the leader of the Rebellion. So I think she was looked at as just another leader.

21. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    We Brits were so woke in the eighties. It’s funny to think that Thatcher’s reign influenced society in such a way that cinema goers didn’t question the plausibility of a female Rebel leader. Forget Right to Buy, and crushing the miners, her true legacy is our acceptance of Mothma.

22. Sard_Oola

Sard_Oola Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2001
    Originally, not even her name was clear in the rumors, which had her as either Momontha or Mom Montha. A friend remarked that an older female character named Mom was certainly … interesting, especially considering that TESB already had dropped such a bombshell regarding family relations.

BlackRanger and StartCenterEnd like this.
  23. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I can’t comment on how it was originally received but as a kid the fact that we were finally meeting the overall leader of the good guys was an indicator that things had gotten serious. It’s also interesting to me that the idea of a female being the leader is in any way abnormal wasn’t even a concept to me at that age, even though I would have happily told you that girls drool, have cooties, and go to Jupiter to get more stupider.

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think they did a good job portraying Mon Mothma as a leader of the Rebel Alliance. Her look, mannerisms and general way she presented her self was very regal and authoritative. Even as a little kid it was easy for me to assume this was a woman in a high position among the Rebels.

She's probably my favorite minor character, in all of SW! For years I had wanted to see more of her, and I was delighted that a younger version of her was in ROTS-sadly those scenes were cut from the film, but not from my mind! Then, finally a payoff: She played a larger part than ever before in Rogue One!