main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What was your favourite toy / figure when you where a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by daveeek, Jul 12, 2011.

1. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    When I was very little, prob about 5 or six I guess we had very little money and lived in a dump housing project. The christmas of that year my parents somehow found a way to score me a ROTJ Y Wing, Speeder Bike and Tie Fighter and few action figures. Even as young as I was I knew it must have hit my parents hard and I cherished those things, and still do to this day.

They were never able to score me a Falcon back in the OT days and my mom tried for YEARS. When I came home from a Middle East Deployment in 03 my wife and my mom (who passed soon after) scored me the release that had come out. It took her a decade and a half, but mom came through. That my wife encouraged this was awesomeness as well.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Hm... *grabs her Zuckuss figure off the shelf and gives him a whiff.* ...Smells like vinyl and paint. As for my old Greedo figure... been years since I last sniffed him. If I recall, he had the smell of the many sweaty hands that have handled him over the years and his head smelled kinda stale.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I loved "live action" toys (I suppose I still do, since I'm a sucker for the FX sabers). I loved those "The Force" lightsabers that swooshed and could actually take a little abuse from fighting with friends, as well as the stormtrooper rifle with folding stock (which they never make anymore), Han's pistol, and the Biker Scout pistol.

I see that now they're coming out with miniaturized, more affordable versions of the FX lightsabers:

http://www.rebelscum.com/2011SDCC/TPM/image49.asp

I would have done anything to have that back in 1983. I hate to sound like Grandpa Simpson, but kids today have it so good!

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It's between the Falcon(which was stoeln from a storage area while I was away in the Navy), and a battery opeerated light up lightsaber from 1977 where the "bade" was this tranparent and very flexable plastic; it lit up yellow.

5. sith_rising

Jan 7, 2004
    lol yeah I had that balloon lightsaber also. It was cool, but very delicate. I wonder what the fascination was with yellow lightsabers back then?

6. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    All GI Joe action figures were my favorite toys as a youngster. All the Star Wars action figures were cool also. Is anyone here old enough to remember the Darth Vader Collector's Case?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I still have it.

[image=http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1325/sw3z.png]

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well the action figs featured that slot lightsaber, and Luke's was yellow. I don't recall why since it was blue in the films. I'll look it up later unless someone posts some history on the subject...and being major SW nerds we are concerned over such information.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Rhubarb? Weird. Like I said, all the old ones had a strong plastic smell when you opened them that the new ones don't have. Open up a new plastic shower curtain liner; same smell, haha.

I wish I still had my figures to give to my son. I don't know where they all went, but they are sadly long gone.

10. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    these guys pretty much got the nail on the head. There has also been discussion in the making of SW book about how they weren't really sure how the rotoscoping would go and thus the colors. Even though the figures came out a good year later I think Kenner was pretty much in the dark. Another good example is looking at how the colors were off for the Marvel comics leadin up to the movie release.

the one time Kenner did change the lightsaber and get it "right" for Luke, they actually got it wrong. If you got one of the first wave of the Luke figure in jedi robes he had a blue saber, not green. They did indeed change thier mind about the saber color because of how it would appear on the tatooine sky background.

11. HordaksPupil

HordaksPupil Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2011
    While not a toy per se, one of my favorites was my Darth Vader mask. I had just gotten into Star Wars and asked my parents if I could be Darth Vader. They went to the costume store and came home with a nice Vader mask. To me it was the neatest thing I had ever seen and would walk around wearing pretending to be Darth Vader.

12. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    1978 orginal Falcon. I still have it to this day. And yes it's still in great condition.

Andy Wylde and whostheBossk like this.
  13. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    I know what you mean about that smell. My TIE Fighter pilot still has a certain smell to him.
    Fortunately I still have my toys. I've never willingly given any of STAR WARS stuff away, just lost a few figures and somehow let my mother throw out my Ewok Village. Why the heck parents want to do that, I don't know.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Where do you live, and what times of the day are you not at home? [face_laugh]

Binder-lover and thejeditraitor like this.
  15. Endor_Commando

Endor_Commando Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007

Favorite figure was Han Solo (small head) which I have now re-carded.
    ...and the Palitoy Death Star, which I still have. Box is a bit tatty but the contents are perfect.

16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I still have my Toltoys Death Star (Australian release of the Palitoys one), but it's in pretty poor condition. Project for later down the track is to scan it & somehow build a replica. Best. Star. Wars. Playset. Ever.

17. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I was a kid of the Return of the Jedi packaged figures.

My only vehicle was the AT-ST(which was awesome)

My favorite figure is Luke Skywalker-Jedi Knight. The cloth robe, the black glove, the detached lightsaber(as a kid, always wondered why my Vader and Ben figures had their sabers attached to their arms, but this Luke didn't)

18. sith_rising

Jan 7, 2004
    Family Guy was right about one thing - there was something special about the vintage Boba Fett figure. It was just cooler than everyone else. Maybe it was the paint or the detailing, which was better than most of the other figures. Or it could have been Slave 1, which was such a fantastic toy.

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your mother is a suspected Imperial sympathizer who's racist against Ewoks. :p

20. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    [image=http://www.puzzlezoo.com/assets/photos/SWPF00752f.jpg]

21. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    I had that too! And yeah, it's always bugged me that Luke's lightsaber was yellow. Ben's was blue, so what was Kenner's problem?

22. Krusty_the_Clone

Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 4, 2006
    Millenium Falcon

23. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    scroll up a few posts kind sir.

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    My sandcrawler was pretty awesome despite that in actuality it was a Tonka dump truck.

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. JonYo

JonYo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2004
    I was born about a month before Jedi came out, so I missed MOST of the original toys, BUT, I have vivid and fond memories of getting the Max Rebo Band at a flea market when I was about 3 or 4. Sy Snootles used to be a regular adversary of the Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters in my house. :cool: When the 90's PTF figs started coming out, I was about 11 or 12, and the first fig from that line that I got was (somehow) Threepio, so that one has always held a special place in my heart.