main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What was your favourite toy / figure when you where a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by daveeek, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    I was 5 years old when Star Wars first opened in theaters in 1977. I did not see it until the following year, it was still in theaters. This was pre-home video days mind you.

One day in Kindergarten we had 'show and tell' and this kid brought in the Landspeeder along with figures of Luke, Ben, C-3PO, and R2-D2. That was cool but the COOLEST part was that the hood on the Landspeeder opened. Back in those days toy cars were huge and if you had one where the hood opened that was your favorite car.

But this was a SPACE CAR! With JET ENGINES! Hidden spring wheels so it 'floated' a bit. Needless to say I lost my little mind and pestered my Mom to take me not only to see this movie but also get these cool toys.... The rest is history. That Christmas I got the Millenium Falcon and that had to rank as my favorite toy. I really modified that thing, we had a pool and the Falcon crashed onto the water planet many, many times! [face_plain]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    My favorite old Kenner figures I loved when I was a little kid and still love

headless Tusken raider body
    Boussh Leia
    Endor Han -his right hand is broken though LOL
    Wicket - still have the old Kenner figure of Wicket just without his spear
    Chief Chirpa without spear
    IG-88 without arms
    Imperial officer without his gun
    Weequay just without his skiff staff thing
    Klaatu aka Wooof before the stupid Expanded Universe Wooof name- for some odd unknown reason his back is covered with red nail polish. Just what the hell was I doing when I was a kid?
    Enor Leia- still have her poncho but its so old and ratty looking and dont have her gun belt or helmet anymore

3. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Dude that was my thread from YEARS ago! So nice to see it again! lol =D=

To contribute to the conversation my favorite toy(s) from the early years of my Star Wars love were probably the late 90's/early 2000's LEGO sets. The X-Wing was probably my fave, infact it is still sitting on my shelf as I type! :)

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That one now has added relevance.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    =D=

6. aceldama

aceldama Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2011
    *note: Sorry. I just noticed how long this post became. Got away from me for a bit*

Thanks for posting the picture, MatthewZ. I have to admit that I am not sure why I was even bothering to read the thread until then. Was bored I suppose (actually, was the Greedo talk, but more on that farther below). But, your pic flooded me with memories of toys forgotten.

What I loved his how, even though it was just a cash grab, the cooler variations that ended up coming out for some of the things, in this case most notably vehicles. Not only could you get a Tauntaun, but you could get a Tauntaun with a slit stomach to put Luke in! Not only could you get an X-Wing Fighter, but you could get an X-Wing Fighter with damage!
    And memory may be failing me on this one, but could you get a Speeder Bike (from ROTJ) that both exploded and didn't? I remember for sure the "exploding" one, but not sure if I remember a non-exploding. If memory serves me right, and it never does, there were also other vehicles released that were damaged.

And of course, everyone seemed to have a friend, or had parents, that would glue the removable limbs into C-3PO's torso, so they didn't lose the limbs. Of course, this essentially negated the whole point of the limbs being removable in the first place.

In regards to what this specific thread was about, which was the Vader carrying case... I had one, yep, and got it very early. I can't remember if I got the IG-88/Boba/Bossk version or Vader/Yoda/Luke. The thing that sticks (ignore that pun) in my mind the most is the list of pre-printed name stickers that came with all of them, varying based on what movies had been released by then. "They're going to release a Leia Bespin outfit figure?? Radical!" (I't was the 80's)

In regards to Greedo, I am a bit confused at some of the comments on here. What is with the multiple mentions on how difficult Greedo was to get? At the time, for me at least, it was just any other character, rarity-wise.

For me personally, the figure that stands out the most is the send-in version of The Emperor. Came out before Jedi, so was a bit of a mystery who it actually was.

Overall, just tons of memories for all of these things. Thanks.

See? Told you it got long-winded.

7. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Anybody remember the places you'd get Star Wars figures? I remember my brother and I getting the most of our SW figures at a Ben Franklin's dime store. We'd also get them at other places like the Kay-Bees in a shopping mall in a nearby city (I remember that's how we each got a C-3PO carrying case with a couple of POTF1 figures attached).

8. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Kiddie City.

It had supermarket long straight isles. As a kid it seemed like you were in a cavern of toys.

I can remember like 20 feet of carded figures hanging on hooks. As opposed to today when you have two rows hanging in Target or WalMart.

9. MatthewZ

Sep 21, 2003

Battle-damaged X-Wing

[image=http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9209/sw2q.png]

10. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    So it looks like Hasbro has re-issued many newer figures in the classic packaging from the 70's and 80's. I went shopping with some friends earlier and saw a Darth Vader figure. It was Anakin Skywalker from ROTS. The detail of the figure was amazing... as was the price. 9 bucks for ONE figure! Back in the day that was a vehicle AND figure. :eek:

Good detail though, right down to the yellow eyes and scar on the right cheek. 9 dollars is a bit much though.

11. NotClownJ0KER

NotClownJ0KER Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 24, 2001
    Large Size Darth Vader.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/notclownjoker/6625127031/in/photostream/lightbox/

12. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    I saw that at Big W and couldn't resist buying it. I don't tend to buy the new figures unless they're pretty special (couldn't resist the McQuarrie collection) , but the packaging, particularly the choice of photo, looked exactly as it might have back in the 1980s.

[image=http://www.krazymarket.com/fileimg/20110707142718anakin%20skywalker%20ROTS.jpg]

This was also a new one just too brutal to pass up:

[image=http://www.toughnerdtoys.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Anakin_Skywalker_Battle_Damage.jpg] [image=http://images.movieeye.com/store/images/anakin-skywalker-action-figure-battle-image-star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith.jpg]

13. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    If you think $9 is a lot for Hasbro's current crop of SW figures, try $11(!) dollars. That's how much a local Pamida store near me sells them for.

Yeah, that's one reason I don't get them anymore.

14. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i live in minnesota and the vintage figures are 9.89
    i haven't bought any exept at toys are us when they were buy 1 get 1 50% off. i bought jango fett and a rebel soldier.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    OMG it's the guy from The Hills Have Eyes! Or the singer from Midnight Oil!

16. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    He actually did join the Dark Side & became a full-blown politician:

http://www.petergarrett.com.au/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Garrett

17. JediMasterKendo

Jun 2, 2000
    Someone in this thread mentioned Pamida department stores.

Every first week of every month I go out of town which is a 30 miles drive to this other small town where they have a Pamida store.

Once in awhile they get Star Wars action figures while the rest of the junk they have is Matchbox cars and I mean it. an aisle full of crappy Matchbox cars that even includes old WCW matchbox cars.

For the Star Wars figures at the Pamida store that i go to, they have Saga Legends figures at 10.50 bucks. You can find them cheaper at Walmart for just 3 bucks recently.

Also you would have a heart attack if you saw the regular normal price of the Vintage style figures at Pamida. 12-14 bucks.

also Pamida's videogame selection stinks. It's all PS3 and Wii. But the only good thing about it is that they still have 2-3 old gamecube games like Viewtiful Joe 2 at 2.99 along with Tony Hawk Underground 1 or 2 along with a Winnie the Pooh game.

PSP game selection at Pamida is godawful LOL. Mostly poker games, FIFA soccer games and that Un Jammer Lammy game which was originally for the Playstation 1.

18. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    I remember walgreens used to have star wars figures for i think $12.99 when they were selling at target for $7.50-$8.00 they also had a crap selection of toys compared to target...

19. Sith_Bounty-Hunter

Sith_Bounty-Hunter Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    Mine would have to be Darth Vader's Tie Advanced or my At-At, wow was that thing awesome

20. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    I was the one who brought up Pamida, and yep, it was mostly Saga Legends figures that were the price I mentioned at.

21. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    I've never heard of Pamida, you're not from the united states are you?

22. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, he is. I remember Pamidas when I lived in Minnesota. Kinda surprised they're still around.

23. JediMasterKendo

Jun 2, 2000
    To JacktheRack

Oh my freakin god. You have never heard of Pamida stores? They have been around for decades here in the good old USA. Where have you been? LOL. What made you think Pamida stores would be from? I think you need to get out more or something. Jeez.

Pamida stores along with Alco department stores are mostly in the Midwest states like here in South Dakota along with Nebraska and Minnesota.

Pamida stores used to be great in the 1990s where they would have good stuff for movies from VHS to clothes and vidoegames but the prices were a bit pricey. Just think of Pamida as a small town poor mans version of Shopko or Target.

Nowadays Pamida stores barely have anything good anymore except for novelty tshirts and collector cards like Garbage Pail Kids and electronics.

Toys on the other hand, nada. Just a bunch of matcbox cars and the barbie stuff for girls. Pamida barely has anything for action figures like Star Wars except once in awhile they get a decent amount ordered in. But the prices for Star Wars action figures at Pamida are a bit pricey at 10-13 bucks just for the Vintage style figures. Saga Legends figures are also the same.

You can get Star Wars Saga Legends figures for just 3.54 at Walmart which is way cheaper.

24. MatthewZ

Sep 21, 2003

Never heard of them on the Eastern Seaboard.

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, they don't exist outside the Midwest. Honestly kinda surprised they're still around; Wal-Mart is better in every way.