main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What was your favourite toy / figure when you where a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by daveeek, Jul 12, 2011.

1. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    The vintage Imperial Shuttle or the Tattooine skiff. I remember making a Sarlaac out of a cardboard box

2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    All great memories!! I have been (i think along with alot of adult collectors) really putting my vintage collection together! Picked up so many items as of late. I was hoping to rekindle this thread and hoping not everyone was posting elsewhere (fb has threads, rebelscum). This has always been my favorite forum to talk anything Star Wars , especially the action figures!!

My favorites were Death Star, all my figures (still have 13 of my original -thanks to my ROTJ lunchbox) ,and X-Wing of course.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I would have to say the Basic Qui-Gon-Jinn Lightsaber. I wielded that lightsaber everywhere, especially on trampoline. :D

4. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Lightsabers were always big, although the vintage one wasn't much of an exciting toy. Millennium Falcon of course was huge for all of us, although I didn't get one when I was little, I did get one from my nephew, in '95 POTF line. Still have on display (and of course I did end up getting a vintage Falcon later). Any other memories?

5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    As a kid it would've been a toss up between the full size Falcon and the 12 inch Boba Fett. He was just so cool with his rocket pack and wookiee pelts, not to mention the telescopic eye! These days I like weird variations like the small headed Han, blue Snaggletooth etc. for novelty value.

6. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I actually got a Boushh-disguise Leia in the mail today from Amazon. *blush* B-b-but it was only four dollars, and that was exactly the amount I needed to make my order qualify for free shipping. So, you know, it was clearly meant to be. Besides, I thought she would go really well with the Carbonite Han my little brother got me many years ago. :)

7. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Never be embarrassed to dress up as Princess Leia, Yanksfan. It's always :cool:!

8. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

No no no, I got the action figure! Not the disguise itself, ha ha. (although, that would be COOL. I love that disguise!) You know, the toy! (wait, did you know…..?)

thejeditraitor and MOC Yak Face like this.
  9. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I think a psychologist may have something to say about what I just did there!

Yes, of course, the toy! Great toy...

thejeditraitor, Pensivia and Yanksfan like this.
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i would have to say... christmas morning 83 with all rotj kenner. i turned six that year

like leia boush disguise, bib fortuna, admiral ackbar, endor soldier, royal guard, scout trooper with bike. some were probably b-day stuff since my b-day is dec 8th.

definitely on christmas morning was mini imp shuttle, klattu, barada, nikto figs. jabba on his throne and the rancor. that was hell of a pull for my family's christmas.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I had just about the entire run of the mircro machines ships, and even multiples of some of the fighters. I loved those things! The XWing and BWing were actually assembled in two pieces, so I would break em apart for "battle damage" in my fake dog fights.

12. Yeahvin4

Yeahvin4 Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2013
    I wasn't born yet when the Originals came out but my oldest brother pretty much had everything you can think of (vintage Kenner action figures, the Millennium Falcon, Darth Vader's Tie-Fighter, etc...) for a brief time, he gave them to me until I reached high school where i neglected them in which my brother took them back :( Eventually he gave them to his kids and also managed to sell extra figures he had still in their packaged boxes on ebay for a decent price.

as for Prequel toys, i only got Anakin's Jedi starfighter and Obi Wan's 1st version lightsaber. My roommate's girlfriend who's studying marketing found out last semester that the Prequel toys aren't really selling much at all.

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I unfortunately didn't own any of the action figures when I was a really small fry, but I did at one point have a metal [/i]Return of the Jedi[/i] lunchbox, which I thought was quite cool. The funny thing is, at that point I had only ever seen A New Hope—but I still recognized the images of Luke and Vader and such on the box, so I knew it had Star Warsy associations. And that was the main thing. :D

14. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013

Wow, virtually the same 1983 xmas as me (apart from I was 5 and my birthday isn't in Dec).

Introducing Darth Vader to Jabba as they had never met in the films, only for the the PT, 16 years later, to establish that Anakin did indeed know who Jabba was. Hmmph films destoying my toy playing canon. I also had Ewoks piloting snowspeeders - wonder if the ST will use that idea too? ;)

whostheBossk and thejeditraitor like this.
  15. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I didn't have any action figures, but I did have both of these board games:

"Escape from the Death Star":

[​IMG]

and:

[​IMG]

16. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Oooh, I had Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, a very well put together game with a lot of very obscure questions. I would just destroy my friends in that game. Came with a little R2D2 in place of dice; you'd press on his head and he would beep a bit then display a number between 1 and 6.

Pensivia likes this.
  17. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    My favorite figure of all time is my PotF Endor Han. My mom has always traveled a lot for business, and I remember she came home one day, and I found him slid between my bed FRAM and mattress! I woke up to that figure and was so excited! I still have him, he's on my desk. I even wrote about him for Mother's Day this year. He's always had so much of a personal impact on me, that I picked up a vintage collection Endor Han a few years ago when I want even paying attention to Star Wars anymore.

Other than that Han, I had an awesome Rancor with Luke, Bantha, Slave 1, and one year my dad got me a millennium Falcon and Clone gunship. Those things saw some serious play time. Not a lot though. My parents were divorced so I didn't see him or my clone ship or falcon to often.

Currently, I'm loving my black series Luke Bespin figure!

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  18. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    The Hasbro Luke Skywalker Lightsaber with sounds. It was my first lightsaber.

19. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I had both of those toys, Pensivia. Fond memories...

Pensivia likes this.
  20. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Indeed, Yak Face! I seem to remember getting cramps in my finger from repeatedly trying to get just the right spin out of the "Escape from the Death Star" spinner...:p

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    very rare and expensive now too.

another of my favs were the micro machine playsets. the older ones with the metal figures that i got and the later ones with the plastic figures my little brother and i got.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i didn't have all of these. these are internet pics.

22. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I used to have a CRAP ton of the micro machines. My favorite was the jabba's palace with Sarlaac pit. Many a miniature went into that pit.

23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    ok... so i can get this out of system.

i grew up in the early 80's with sw. toys and storybooks first, then vhs movies of anh and esb, then rotj in theaters. they still sold sw toys obviously but i was born in 1977 so i wasn't really around for the original runs of anh and esb toys but back then they had this awesome thing called GARAGE SALES! my mom and i lived here in florida with my grandparents. so luckily for me some kids were outgrowing their sw toys or moving on to other lines and my grandaddy would go pick up cheap loose figs for me at the garage sales. also crazy older stuff like the million dollar man, batman and the batmobile, battlestar galactica, etc.

i had the original large vader but he somehow lost an arm and his cape. a smaller t.i.e. and the smaller x-wing that could collapse. the vader figure case, two tauntauns, a full size snowspeeder (my only full size large ship). basically every loose fig from anh and esb and some who came new in the box (and then i lost their weapons myself). i had coloring books and comics and an esb metal lunchbox as well. i even went as chewbacca for halloween in one of those old plastic mask and vinyl costumes. it wasn't until x-mas 1983 that i got a bunch of actual new stuff in the package from rotj.

my mom was a single mom and we didn't have much money, certainly not for toys. my grandad would always go on saturdays around the neighborhood to garage sales to get stuff like fishing gear, etc. sometimes my grandad would take me along with him to the garage sales. HE NEVER HAD TO GET ME SOMETHING BUT HE ALWAYS DID. he was the father for me that my real dad never was. i even took him to see tpm and aotc at the theater later on.

we lost him in 2007 when he was 88 years old. we always had a very special connection and we always took care of each other even until the very end. i love my grandaddy and i miss him very much.

24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    oh and the coolest thing i forgot! my grandad MADE me two lightsabers out of wood! a small blue one about a foot long with a white handle and a white plastic nub on the end (that my granny made him put on for safety). when i was older he made me another two foot long blue wooden saber with a black bicycle handle grip. he lathed out the wood and painted them himself!

Andy Wylde, whostheBossk and Gamma626 like this.
  25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I was 7 in '77, and I got the first Kenner figures for Christmas '78. I built a respectable collection over the next few years. It was a special day of wonder in summer '79 when I discovered the figures on sale at my local Safeway for $1.89 each, and my mother (who was at work) had like $30 in loose change in a jar! By 1981 I had a Falcon, a Death Star, Slave 1 and a TIE Fighter, while my friend up the street had an AT-AT and an X-Wing. Oh, the sprawling adventures we had in his huge mansion of a house! Or in my backyard, zooming Slave 1 over the forests of Endor that were actually small shrubs and Houston crab grass! Or setting up my Hoth Rebel soldiers in the snow of a rare Houston freeze, and leaving them there for days before the snow finally melted! Those were days of high adventure....

At one point in early '84 -- before the POTF line -- I had every single Kenner 4" figure available, even Nien Nunb who I got on a proof-of-purchase mail-in special. I still have all my SW and ESB figures, but I sold my ROTJ collection a few years ago when the wife and I were cash-strapped. =((

My favorite figures were always Han and Luke in Bespin fatigues. Something about the development of the characters from the simple stark tones of their original costumes to the more subtle hues of the ESB outfits really pleased me. And the fact that Luke had a hand-held saber instead of the retractable arm-saber, but it was till golden-yellow like the saber on my Hildebrandt movie poster. I could also fit Han perfectly into the carbonite block that came with Slave 1. That way you could "float" him along the floor, because the underside of his body was obscured, but it looked like the block was magically raised off the ground.

Ah, memories of a well-spent youth, hours of imagination and pure adventure story-telling to myself and my friends! This is the stuff Star Wars is made of. :cool:

whostheBossk and thejeditraitor like this.