main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What Was Your First Story?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by s_heffley, May 1, 2016.

1. jmsbndgrl

jmsbndgrl Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    Elementary school: "Invasion from Mars." It was the dumbest thing I have ever written in my life. They made us participate in this novella contest and I came up with this crazy story about space invaders who were trying to take over the world. In the end they were defeated because they were allergic to mustard and the humans doused them in it. No idea where I came up with it, but I can laugh about it now.

Fanfiction wise it was "More to Life," an Anakin/ Padme piece I wrote as a joke for a friend (I was in denial that I was a fanfiction writer). When I finally caved and admitted I was a fanfiction writer it was "The Emperor's Gift, The Emperor's Curse." That story has its problems, I've read it a couple times since writing it and I shake my head and laugh sometimes. However, despite its issues, I think it was a great concept and I am proud of it. I've been working on an original novel when life lets me, its slow going and I have a bit of writer's block from time to time, but I can honestly say without having played in the world of fanfiction I would have never dreamed of writing an original novel.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    First story? Um... pretty sure it was the Wave Rangers home story that grew and became a bigger something than it was from the start... before it ended up an Animorph AU, because Animorphs wouldn't exist for years yet.

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Finally, a good use for mustard! (I can't be the only one who hates that stuff. :p)

Seriously, though, that sounds hilarious. [face_laugh]

4. Tycalibur

Tycalibur Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 26, 2001

I'll go with my first Star Wars fan fiction. First story, I wrote so many as a kid, impossible to remember.

It was 'The Moment of Balance', written and published in the Fan Fiction Archive around 2003-ish? I went back and read it recently. Ugh. I keep telling myself we all mature as writers and go through this, but... ugh anyway. :p

5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    The first story I wrote when I was five was Middle Ages Adventures. It was about a royal family that fights an evil knight, his dragon and pirates. I have since evolved that story and may publish it when it is complete. My first Star Wars fanfiction was my ideal version of the prequel trilogy, which includes Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith as episodes I and II respectively (with some changes to the story) and an alternative episode III called Quell of the Light. It is available on this site.

Iron_lord and Sith-I-5 like this.
  6. Chibi_Krayt

Chibi_Krayt Jedi Padawan

Dec 2, 2015
    I love hearing everybody's early stories!

I've been telling stories and illustrating them since I was four or five, well before I learned to write. I'm not sure which one I actually wrote down first, because I made up so many. It may have been one of the following:

1. The mouse story: a mouse got squished in a snap-trap, but its roommate revived it with the smell of cheese. It joined the dwarves from The Hobbit who adopted it as a pet. (I was an avid fan of the old cartoon movie, and pretended to be a mouse almost constantly, so... this might have been a very early self-insert in a way.) They tied its tail to a fire hydrant so that it couldn't follow them to the Battle of Five Armies. The mouse cut its own tail off (!!!) and wandered the earth alone, often being mistaken for a hamster. I think five-year-old me didn't know how to handle the poor mouse's realization that most of its masters had died in the war, so I just left the story unfinished.

2. The cat and grasshopper story: a cat saw a grasshopper and they made friends, but then a human foot randomly stepped on it. The cat went along its way, and the grasshopper miraculously came back to life and met the cat when it reached its destination. Inspired by an actual painting I had of a calico cat looking at a grasshopper on a leaf... the wide-eyed look on the cat's face and something about the lighting in the picture reminded me of those old stained glass church windows, as if there was something miraculous about the grasshopper. LOL.

3. The "alamarang story": the main cast from /Star Trek: Deep Space Nine/ threw a party and played a whole bunch of really random games. I had no idea what adult parties were like so there was hopscotch, horseshoe tossing, cake, etc.

Sith-I-5 and s_heffley like this.
  7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I was 11, and I am a pallet to know my best friend at the time still has the originals. 35 years. I starter with fanfic. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I started writing fan fiction about two years ago, way longer if you want to count all the daydreamy headcanons of various things that never made it to paper.

The first actual fan fiction I wrote was a Star Trek fanfic that honestly kind of stinks. I did almost everything wrong. As a matter of fact, it's the story's shortcomings that save it from being complete poodoo. Because it works as a great example of what not to do.

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Wait, wait...are you saying that there's a "right" way to do things?

10. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I wrote my first story with a friend of mine. It was about a boy and a girl joining the Jedi order in the YYK era and befriending Jacen and Jaina. It was pretty self insert though and I'm glad we haven't published it somewere on the internet. Although I have used some of the ideas and characters we had later in other fanfics.

11. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Only if you don't want to cringe when you read it later. [face_laugh]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    My first story was an Indiana Jones fanfiction that I wrote by hand on 15 pieces of lined paper.I must have been in 5th or 6th grade. I remember almost nothing about it other than that Indy and Sallah were involved. I loved Jon Rhys Davies in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

My first posted fan fic was right her on this site in 2005. It was an OC story featuring a Cor-Sec agent whose cover was blown. She was running through dark alleys trying to escape from her mark/lover.

Flyboy240 and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I am writing my first story now. Yikes!

14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    The first one is the hardest and you will cringe when you read it years from now, but that doesn't matter. Everyone gets better with practice.

Speaking of old stories, I lost most of my early ones from the boards when my old computer had a meltdown, but I just found a hardcopy of one that I wrote WAAAAAAY back when, before my name turned this fancy color, probably about the time AotC came out. Parts have me cringing, but other parts have me rather impressed with myself. I'm debating whether to repost. It would be a lot of typing; it is very long. A send-up of Hollywood.

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I...never knew I could be so persuasive. :D

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  16. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Your kindness and gentle encouragement was not forgotten. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. bernar017

bernar017 Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.
  18. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    One of my first stories was called The Shadows of Skywalker. I remember that it was about Luke and I think it was based during ESB. It was posted on the old Fan Fiction forum here.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  19. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    If we're talking about first fanfic, it was a Sonic fanfic that turned half the canon topsy turvy, featured 3 Mary Sues, a dead canon character resurrected and being made into yet another Sue, a heroic character turned into a big bad's henchman, a Sauron copypasta villain and lightsaber knockoffs( I just watched SW and LOTR back then). I was 13 when I wrote this abomination, which probably says something about my intellect, or rather, lack of thereof. As for the first story, I probably tried to write stuff back at the middle school, I just don't remember. I remember setting off to write a Harry Potter knockoff at the age of 10 because I was a huge Potterhead back then( I had no Internet and didn't know fanfic existed), but lacking the vision to flesh out anything concrete.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  20. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    It was ENCOUNTER IN A CANTINA..back in 1982. Lynda V.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I've been writing since I was seven, so I don't honestly remember. The first cohesive story I wrote may well have been a series of vignettes about different types of cats. ;) I was cat-crazy back then. That evolved into trying repeatedly to write a series of books about horses. They never got off the ground, LOL.[face_laugh]

The first Fan Fic I wrote...I think it was a 'letter' I wrote to Obi-Wan Kenobi when I was about nine or ten. :p I didn't start on anything more detailed until 2003, when the speculation about ROTS was so crazy. Even that wasn't complete. I didn't write a full Fan Fic from beginning to end until I put the squirrel-creature Scrat (from Ice Age) into a one-shot about Luke finding his Jedi Temple. [face_laugh] I never showed it to anyone...maybe I can dig it up again!

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Please!

23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Seconded. What does Scrat have to do with a Jedi temple? Did he help Luke find it? Did Luke help Scrat finally get his acorn? Tell us!

Kahara, Ridley Solo and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I think my first story was an essay, written in my Norwegian class when I was 10 or 11 years old. I got an inspired moment and told a story from the viewpoint of an old car. (No, I hadn't seen the "Herbie" movies :p ) As far as I can remember the teacher was so surprised by the idea of letting a car tell a story, that he gave me the best grade. My next attempt was somewhat an audiobook. I was visiting my grandparents and when they wanted to take a nap after dinner I started to record a story in my cassette player. My masterpiece came to an abrupt end when my grandmother peeked in and wanted to know who I was talking to. I guess it's needless to say that my masterpiece never was finished. In hindsight that was probably a good thing.

25. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    Probably a school assignment from 1st or second grade.

As far as fanfiction goes I wrote a story about what if Leia went with Luke to meet Yoda in ROTJ instead of Luke going alone when I was like 12. Maybe I should revisit that.