main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One What was your reaction the first time seeing the Vader hallway scene?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Blue 5, May 9, 2017.

1. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    I'm not an expert on the character, but I would think there are limits to what he can do! In Empire, he had only Han Solo to worry about, whereas in Rogue One, he was parrying the bolts of several shooters. Could he have disarmed them all at once? Well, if the answer is yes, then why couldn't he have done the same at Echo Base? Those snowtroopers are obsolete!

Jim Smith and Blue 5 like this.
  2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I didn't see it coming at all. Once the breathing started, I got so excited. I just can't really use any other words other than feeling the menace of Vader as the poor Rebel troops try to complete their mission.

3. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I was in awe. It was the best moment I've ever seen in a movie, Star Wars or not.

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Darn right!!

5. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    The only way I was spoiled going into the film was I had heard about the Tarkin/Leia CGI stuff. After Organa gave us the "I'd trust her with my life" line, I knew she was showing up at some point. Once the Rogue One team ate it on Scarif, all I could focus on was that Leia would make an appearance, soon. Vader made me forget about her, for a while.

jaqen, Blue 5 and B99 like this.
  6. TheRebelFleet

TheRebelFleet Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    I didn't have a reaction lol. Once the hallway turned dark, I knew Vader was coming. I didn't have much emotions at all. I wasn't freaking out or crying or screaming inside my head. I was experiencing the scene like.. normal. :/ I had more hype when the rebel fleet jumped out of hyperspace, that really surprised me. I feel really emotion-less when obvious scenes appear like that. For example, Han Solo's death in TFA or Vader's slaughter here, I already knew it was coming. I'm really weird. xD

Blue 5 likes this.
  7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Well - to be fair - that scene was also incredible :)

Gigoran Monk and Blue 5 like this.
  8. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016

Yeah those poor Rebels, cannon fodder to be wiped out by the master.

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Awe and fear

My favorite scene in the film, for the simple fact it made Vader truly frightening again.

JawaShuffle, jaqen, CT1138 and 3 others like this.
  10. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I was spoiled about it before hand so I wasn't surprised at all.
    Still thought it looked cool though.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't recall. It was later than I expected it would be before going in but it was kind of expected that they would do something along these lines.

Obviously it's like something right out of the prequels in terms overall effect especially with the choir.

For those who unlike myself have had trouble reconciling Anakin and Vader as being the same it might have helped them that Vader is now Anakin right out of ROTS.

The other thing is in some respects I wish it had been some of the Rogue One crew instead of the no name crew. Jyn or Chirrut being the last cut down would have been quite effective.

In terms of Vader overall it's interesting to see the weaker Vader of R1 compared to the far stronger one of ROTS who battled Obi-Wan but who is more in control.

12. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    fear, followed by awe, followed by invigoration. mainly because he is an unstoppable force of death and rage, and "there is no escape." it reminds me of dreams in which an enormous tsunami is coming, this wall of water, and i just stare at it in awe, as dream me knows there's no running from that.

i kind of experienced the scene from the pov of the men in the hall, and just that helpless feeling that you're going to die, this unstoppable thing will kill everyone and there is nothing you can do.

i keep comparing it with jyn and cassian on the beach before the death star sears them from existence.

Sarge likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, that kind of brings me back to something I said in another thread soon after RO came out. I talked about how moved I was by the sacrifice of those rebel troopers. We've already seen the sacrifice of the named and nameless characters of the Rogue One crew, but in this scene we also see these nameless troopers of the Rebel Alliance die at the hand of Darth Vader, also making the ultimate sacrifice to play their part in this effort to stop the Empire's new superweapon. We actually see them go from "help us!" when the door gets jammed and won't open, to "take it!" as they realize they are already done for, and the most important thing now is just getting those plans into the hands of someone on the other side of that door, so that the plans can get on to another ship and get out of there. I still get chills when that trooper yells "take it!". So that's effectively another side of my reaction to this scene; part of it is a direct reaction to Vader. The other part of it is a reaction to what these troopers say and do in this situation.

14. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Nail on the head. That's why I reject assertions that it's only gratuitous fan service. It's a powerfully scripted and visualized scene, and an inspiring extension of the Rogue One crew's sacrifice. Some of the best Star Wars ever put on screen.

15. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    When I saw this Vader scene for the first time, I felt nothing but pure delight. It's fascinating to see villains be portrayed to be so powerful and terrifying.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

oncafar and Ricardo Funes like this.
  16. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I will be the exception in saying that I have never liked the scene, in spite of the fact that RO is my second favorite SW film. The scene strikes me as uncharacteristic of Darth Vader. In the 1977 film he entered Leia's ship after the main fighting was over, and he did the same thing in ESB when he arrived on Hoth.

17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I agree 100%. For me, the nameless rebel crew are as important as the main characters. In a way, the point is that not only Jyn/Cassian&Co. had to sacrifice themselves.... everyone is making a sacrifice, sometimes the ultimate sacrifice, and they are basically comparable, even if we never got to know these poor guys.

Bor Mullet, Lady_Misty, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    In both of those cases, I wouldn't say "the main fighting was over" as much as I would say "the initial resistance had been defeated". Vader has confidence in his troops to get that first part done, but he's neither lazy or scared. However, the main difference between the RO scene and the ANH scene, for example, is that in RO he is THIS CLOSE to getting those plans and preventing this mess from getting any worse. He comes very close, but fails. In ANH, they need to take control of the ship (see "the initial resistance had been defeated" above), but after that point it's more of a "solving a mystery" kind of situation; the rebels got the plans already, so now Vader and his troops need to figure out where they are, what they did with them, etc. Vader killing everyone in his path doesn't make sense for that situation.

El_Machete12, Sarge, oncafar and 3 others like this.
  19. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    True, but to be fair, the situations are different.

In ANH, he had already taken control of the ship and had Imperials scanning for escape pods, so it’s not like he was in a hurry board it.

In ESB, he had to wait for the team to destroy the defense perimeter so his ship would be clear for landing. And his priority was just destroy the Rebel base as well as locate the Falcon that could lead him to Luke, which he succeeded in both accounts.

In RO, he arrived when the battle was over and Rebels were already fleeing. And he is just told one of the ships had received some Imperial data. So there was a bit more urgency in boarding that vessel.

But truly, Vader has always acted a little different in every single movie he appeared. If he also acts a bit differently in RO, I wouldn't say that is uncharacteristic of him - more that, it's another layer to his character that we haven't seen before.

20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Darth "always keep 'em guessing" Vader :vader:

Gigoran Monk and La Calavera like this.
  21. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I think that is one of the best selling points of Vader as a villain, is that you never know what he going to do next. He is very unpredictable and keeps changing his MO as he pleases. As says to Lando, “I have altered the deal, pray I don’t alter it any further.” Not to mention he is the guy who gave us the most mind-blowing line and character motivation in movie history.

And that is part of the charm of the Vader’s scene in RO. Nobody saw that coming. People knew he was going to be in the movie, that he may or may not had a badass in it, but when it came, and the way it came, it still took people by surprise. So in that way, it felt very "Vader".

oncafar, Gigoran Monk and EHT like this.
  22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, and he continued that pattern for the rest of his life. Nobody, including Palpatine, saw that "that's it, I'm killing him!" move coming in ROTJ. Even Luke, who was pinning all his hopes on that outcome, didn't know if his appeals to the good in Vader would actually work.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  23. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I went into Rogue One completely blind. No trailers, no anything except when Star Wars posted a screenshot of Jyn (didn't know her name at the time) on their Facebook page.

The first time I saw the last Vader scene, I was already overwhelmed with how awesome the movie was and in shock from the emotional story climax. When the last Vader scene was playing, I was just in complete overload, like I was getting electrocuted but couldn't move anymore.

Lady_Misty, avcpl, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  24. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Wait, are you also camped out outside Edwards' house? If so, where? I'm near the vegetable garden in the back.

Blue 5 likes this.
  25. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    [​IMG]