main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One What was your reaction the first time seeing the Vader hallway scene?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Blue 5, May 9, 2017.

1. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    At first I rolled my eyes because I assumed we were going to see Vader use his lightsabre in too modern a fashion. It turned out to be a nice mix of OT and PT I think. Now I can enjoy the scene for what it is.

BenYodaDagobah likes this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I don't think there is a modern nor an old way to fight with a LS.

There are several different techniques, some of them most used in the PT since those were the glory days of the Jedi Order. And when only 2 Jedi and 2 Sith were left, of course a lot was "lost".

If you are talking about how Vader follows his LS with his body, that is part of the character, this happens because he had to adapt his technique to cope with his physical condition.

3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
  4. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I have to admit, my FIRST reaction was sheer amazement and wonder but I have kind of gone off it since then. I still think as a scene it's executed to perfection and the pacing and staging etc. is top notch, as an action sequence it's fantastic. BUT I am not so sure I like it being in Rogue One where the cast have been the ''little people'' of the GFFA, not the big names and the famous faces but the also-rans and the unsung. Having THE iconic SW villain pop up and chop those people into kibble doesn't quite work with that thematically for me, and having the big action scene after the emotional pay-off of Jyn and Cassian's story feels a little tacked-on.

Pleasedon'thurtmeI'mnotabadpersonIswear

5. Caisa Rhodin

Caisa Rhodin Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2017
    Had to manually close my mouth with my hands when I first saw it. LOL!

Lady_Misty, starwarsfan54 and Blue 5 like this.
  6. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
  7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Wow, I'm watching ANH right now, and it was the scene where Obi-Wan is walking along one of the hallways inside the Death Star and stops dead in his tracks at the sight of Vader holding his red lightsaber waiting for him. And to think it was merely hours ago that Vader had just executed this totally violent massacre and slaughter of about a dozen Rebels really brings a lot of depth to the evil that Obi-Wan is about to face.

8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Oh wow, I just watched it right now, paying specific attention to this moment, and that guy is just totally yelling "WAAAAIT!!!".

Brutal indeed.

9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I was like:
    [​IMG]

Lady_Misty and Master_Rebado like this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I thought it was pretty cheesy. Kind of like seeing a "badass" Terminator scene four or five films into the series. Sometimes the wonder wears out and the goofiness sets in.

11. Obi-wan KeNOObi

Obi-wan KeNOObi Jedi Knight

Apr 25, 2017
    My reaction was as follows,

As the sirens blare and the rebels clamor around collectively trying to concentrate their blasters on the unseen, a luminous red lightsaber appears into viewing.

*my heart skips a beat as my eyes widen and I open my mouth out of absolute hysteria and wonder as I realize what is about to happen*

The rebels opened fire at Vader as he aimlessly blocks each laser with his saber and uses the force upon them with such evil nothing but a Sith Lord could use a power in this form. His consistent intensity eventually lays waste to all rebels within the vicinity of him.

*I am spilling my popcorn that lays in my lap out of excitement and awe-inspiring nerdgasms at such a display*

I blurted, "HOLY ****!!" after the spectacle I just saw.

That is how you end an SW movie.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Luke02 posted this in another thread, but it needs to be shared in this thread too. :cool:

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Was that girl serving a prison sentence when this was in cinemas? Or did they have to wait until she awoke from her coma? She seems like a knowledgeable fan. How on earth did she not see this until home video release?

Blue 5 and B99 like this.
  14. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    But the characters were flat and nobody cared when they died...

Blue 5 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I wish Vader had entered that living room & continued his rampage.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That makes me wish for one of those inane "reaction" videos to be of someone being terrified while watching one of The Ring films and then have Sadako actually crawl out of the person's television to finish them off amidst their hyperbolic meltdown.

17. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    According to MSW, she was on a Mormon mission during the release of TFA and RO, during which she wasn't allowed to watch movies or consume media entertainment of any kind. So yeah. She was in prison. :)

Vialco, 11-4D, Ricardo Funes and 2 others like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Awww... good for her.

Or bad for her, depending on perspective, I suppose. :p

Lady_Misty and Ricardo Funes like this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's what I was wondering. And who knew her well enough to know that she would have such a reaction and to film it? Although if what Gigoran Monk says is true than I guess it makes sense.

20. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I always cringe at these reaction shots. They all seem too over the top to me (except those of children - I love seeing them when Vader reveals he is Luke's father, I guess because they are in theory authentic reactions)

When I watched R1 and TFA defining moments (Vader corridor of carnage / Han's death) my mind was blown, but I did not scream like mad.

In fact, in all screenings of both movies, nobody reacted loudly to anything (well.... except the laughs when BB-8 gave a thumbs up).

I know US audiences are more "into" the movies than we do in my country, so this may be a cultural difference.

Also, this is why most reaction channels are so lame. It is so staged, so artificial. There is only one channel that posts reactions that I really like, and is of a Father.

Krueger likes this.
  21. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I usually go crazy over stuff like that but I suppose I never was the SW fan who visualized what Vader would look like fullsuit going around killing people . I know for many OT purists, it was probably rad. But for me, I smiled during it but nothing else

22. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

I kinda want to marry her.

23. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Why? You want twelve kids???

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Has anyone ever counted how many Rebel troopers Vader actually faces in that scene? I counted a total of ten troopers in this shot, right before they open fire.
    • Two die from immediate ricochets
    • Vader Force-pins the third trooper against the ceiling and cuts him in half
    • A fourth dies from Vader's palm-reflection of his own shot, leaving six alive.
    • Vader pulls four troopers' blasters away and slashes two of them, leaving four alive. The two that were disarmed and the two pounding at the jammed door.
    • One of the two remaining armed men tries to shoot Vader and is Force-Choked and slammed against the wall, leaving just one armed enemy.
    • This last trooper hands the data disk to his comrades on the other side of the door, right before Vader stabs him.
    • So what happened to the two disarmed men?
    Vader must have killed them off-screen with a few quick swipes of his blade, because they aren't seen standing after that.

There's also a small inconsistency in the post-handoff scene where there appear to be two troopers firing at Vader while the one with the disk escapes into the Tantive. But as soon as that troopers falls to the deck inside the corvette we pan back to see three troopers in the vestibule. The two armed ones and a third one whose lying on the floor. Where did trooper #3 come from?

I'd add screencaps of all this, but the thread would become pretty data-heavy for anyone viewing on a mobile device.

Snafu55 likes this.
  25. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    The hallway scene was the only time in Rogue One I doubted that the Rebels would succeed even though I knew they did succeed.

Blue 5 and Sarge like this.