main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Is RJ working on an RJ trilogy?

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    He's doing knives out 2 now, but we know he wanted to make another movie after knives out before he revisited Star Wars.

3. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    How can you have such certainty?

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    That what he said he be doing.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I just don't think there will be more RJ SW movies. But this is the Taika Waititi thread.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You are correct. And also correct.

7. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Last news I read, Taika is writing his own script.

8. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Good day for Taika. He's just got an Emmy nomination for his voice-over work in Mandalorian. The show also got Best Drama nomination as well as lots of techs and Best Guest Actor for Giancarlo Esposito (who is also nominated for another show in a different acting category). Adam Driver got a nomination for Best TV Host Comedy for his stint on SNL while Laura Dern got A Suupporting nom for Pretty Little Liars. So all in all, good day for SW and associates.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  9. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    That's pretty obvious at this stage. It would seem Taika will start a new trilogy of films he might helm entirely.

Doesn't look like there is much more in the pipeline for sw films. It seems LFL is focused on TV.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    And I'm fine with that. You can practically make as many TV series as you want without oversaturating the market, because even as highly viewed as The Mandalorian is, it's comparatively more niche than the films are. Even with, say, five active live-action series at once and a couple animated series, it's very easy to ignore whatever you're not interested in. I know friends who are diehard Star Wars fans, the kind of people who are jittery with excitement before each movie, who are only somewhat aware that The Clone Wars or Rebels exist, let alone at all. It's just not within their sphere of exposure.

The movies, however, are never going to be anything other than big, highly marketed events. It almost becomes exhausting the closer you get to release after being inundated with a constant influx of every kind of marketing imaginable, and then some. Given what that atmosphere is like, it's probably best to not have multiple, separate running narratives on film. Just keep it nice and tightly focused on one story, following one group of characters, and let us invest in that as the main dish, with as many appetizers on Disney+ as we can stand to stuff ourselves with.

11. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    What would people's reaction be if they announced he was directing 'Episode X'?

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Not only dumb, but I cannot imagine Waititi being less interested in writing/directing anything than Episode X. I want him to tell his own story, populated with his own characters, and put his own stamp on the series.

14. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Dumb or not...
    https://ew.com/movies/2017/03/09/thor-ragnarok-plot-reveal/
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/...view-behind-the-scenes-improv-chris-hemsworth
    Waititi looks like a SW's phase two director. Disney-Marvel-Waititi>Disney-Lucasfilm-Waititi. Dumb or not, I guess it can be imagined...by Waititi himself.

Rebuild, rebirth, reboot, same characters being new characters. Or, a transition rather than a jump. Or new money made out of old money. Crait Luke>Crait Rey, both being the last jedi; Leia and Rey sharing the same jedi path, etc.

TROS ends in a transformation/rebirth note. In Waititi's Thor film, the Ragnarok was an apocalypse being fulfilled ultimately from inside, and not because of some external, Skynet-like force. In fact, a prophecy being fulfilled.

'Rebuild, rebirth, reboot, reincarnation...return. 'If Skywalker returns, the new jedi will rise'. The word 'rise' has to do with resurrection too.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
  17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Breaking news RJ's sequel trilogy starting in Dec 2029 .lol

There will be no RJ trilogy ever he's done I'm afraid ,

looking Forward to what Taika can deliver in 2023 - hopefully KOTOR as that era really needs a movie or trilogy........

Crod1992 likes this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    There will be an RJ trilogy- just not SW.

Knives out trilogy.

chris hayes likes this.
  19. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Here's a "Jump to Conclusions Mat" for everyone who assumes Lucasfilm is automatically dealing in Trilogies.

And I'm talking about Taika Trilogy rumors just to clarify since this is a Taika thread.

One new film need not bring about two sequels. Remember the good old days when you could walk into a movie theater, enjoy and film, and that was it? Look at the all the drama and baggage trilogy rumors bring. Why would anyone....put themselves.....through that......whatever it is.....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Right, in the old days the cheesy horror movies mostly had all the sequels (how many times did Michael Myers and Jason die and get revived for sequels?).

I agree that Hollywood has pushed the sequels ad nauseum. Many of them haven't really had a good sequel ever, and only the first one was good (Jurassic Park?).

I don't think Disney is going to go with one-off movies forever though. Whether it's a trilogy or just an ongoing set of movies telling a story, I think they will eventually get back to that. The specifics are obviously anyone's guess at this point.

21. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    i just watched Taika Waititi's Jo Jo Rabbit what an exceptional film! at times the drama had my heart in my throat at other times the comedy had me cracking up with laughter! great acting also! cant wait for his star wars films or film! and I loved his Thor movie great comedy!

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He can blend tragedy and comedy pretty well. See also, Hunt for the Wilderpeople aka the best comedy of 2016.

GregMcP likes this.
  23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Wilderpeople is very much a Star Wars story... orphaned boy finding his purpose while running from Authority.

PymParticles likes this.
  24. The Lonely Lizard

The Lonely Lizard Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2020
    You’re not only, vong. I’m also excited for the Avatar sequels too. While I don’t agree with James Cameron’s stance on the MCU and superhero movies (Wonder Woman as well), I do agree with what he said that Disney’s Trilogy should’ve followed Lucas’s notes and were too retro and unimaginative compared to his 6 films. So, I believe he can tell fresh stories with his Avatar sequels, something Disney could learn to do more of for future Star Wars content.

GregMcP likes this.
  25. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I'll be 27, but turning 28 in the December. That makes me uncomfortable.

Can't wait to start hearing more, probably next year I imagine we'll get some basic information. They'll probably leave it out this year, maybe next year's Celebration?

__

As much as I love what Waititi did with Ragnarok, and his Mando episode, I don't want a trilogy. I'd prefer anthology films for the next decade or so, and lots of TV Shows.

Bor Mullet likes this.