main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The best art (in my humble opinion) challenges the viewer/observer, and uses new and creative ways to communicate ideas or images. However, this is all largely subjective. Sometimes, even the best art, is not designed to change the world, but to elicit a simple response e.g. 'that was fun', 'that's beautiful' etc. etc.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, this was shared in the Rumors thread. My issue with this is it also says they're going to do three days of scenic shooting. If this is for Star Wars, I feel like it'd be for one of the Disney+ series, and if it's something for Waititi, I'd guess Thor: Love & Thunder before Star Wars. I mean, Thor 4 starts principal photography in January or February, so it would be in the right timeline. Presuming his Star Wars film is the December 2023 release, he won't start shooting it until early 2022.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    OK, so either thor 4 or an unnamed disney plus show.

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Pretty sure it’s for Thor: Love and Thunder. That is, after all, his next film. I read its starting shooting in January, so it would make the most sense for it to be for that.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Of course it's not for a Star Wars film. Come on. Let's not get crazy here.

7. Jimbing

Jimbing Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 15, 2020
    Yes, my thoughts exactly! My wife doesn't like watching movies in general, but she really enjoyed Thor- Ragnarok, so it will be great for bringing in new fans I believe!

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Seems most likely. Other articles on the net are framing this as more of a scouting expedition for a SW movie than a real shoot that might be used in the movie. Since it all comes from this one quote, one has to ask- who is this "source"? Is this an insider, or someone way on the outside with a grandiose vision of themselves, namely an individual that lives in the back of their mom's trailer and has a Youtube channel?

“It’s great that Star Wars have decided to use Scotland’s breathtaking scenery for some of their first production shots," a source told the publication. "The film is still a few years away thanks to the Covid crisis but it will be very exciting for fans to hear that the ball has started rolling on this highly anticipated movie.

“Filming will take place in the Highlands and will focus on the hills and surrounding areas. It will likely be a small crew and an assistant director heading to Scotland to film over three days. Star Wars is the latest in a long list of films to showcase Scotland and everything this beautiful country has to offer.”

Krueger likes this.
  9. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I wonder what the plot of this film could be about

10. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    right I dislike the argument people use like if 50 percent of the audience hated what you did then what’s the point, also I disagree with the theory that you need to completely change something in order to make it fresh, your just ruining it there’s ways to make things fresh stories feel unique and still feel like the thing your trying to make. Star wars isn’t this commentary on the evils of war it’s this epic struggle about good vs evil and it’s character driven. as long as your trying to tell a good character driven story your goal shouldn’t be to pisss people off or divide an audience imo it should be to tell a story. Everyone loves these super gritty grim dark storytelling now a days and I find it so boring. And I like Waiti this isn’t about him this is more about where certain genres have gone.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Tanitha Solas and Darth PJ like this.
  11. Tanitha Solas

Tanitha Solas Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2020
    Maybe the NEW Star Wars will actually be seen in Theatres. Nothing beats being in a theatre to see and hear everything!

DaddlerTheDalek and Darth PJ like this.
  12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Taika Waitii directed this year's Coca-Cola Christmas commercial. I think it's pretty cute, funny, and ridiculous, in the way that only a commercial selling black tar sugar water could be. Also, Santa. And whales.

13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Something during the PT would be wild. I suspect it may be further back in time, though.

cwustudent and Darth PJ like this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I loved Thor Ragnarok and Jo Jo Rabbit was a movie with a lot of heart my mom when she saw the trailer for Jo Jo Rabbit she was offended because she thought it was making fun of Hitler and Nazis but that's not the case at all if you watch the film its a good drama with a few laughs hear and there and its got a lot of heart it made me cry. plus Taika Waititi is Jewish i asked my mom how is any different then Mell Brooks's The Producers? After finding out Taika Waititi is Directing a star wars film I am very excited!

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
  16. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I reallllllly hope the vibe of that logo is a representation of what the movie's tone will be. If we're getting an awesome, rock 'n roll Rogue Squadron movie in 2023, then I'm totally fine having a zany, off-the-rails Star Wars in 2025. Here's the little blurb on the movie from the official website.

A brand-new Star Wars feature with acclaimed filmmaker and Academy Award-winner Taika Waititi is in development. “Taika’s approach to Star Wars will be fresh, unexpected, and…unique,” said Kennedy. “His enormous talent and sense of humor will ensure that audiences are in for an unforgettable ride."

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, after seeing that logo, this is the project I'm most intrigued about.

18. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I hope he'll get complete creative freedom no matter what craziness he comes up with.

As long as he's not playing with already established characters that is ;)

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That logo reminds me of the art style of the Boba Fett animated feature for the original Holiday Special, and that makes me all kinds of excited. This is the crazy Star Wars I’ve been looking for.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  20. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm probably wrong, but I can't help feeling like a Jawa movie. Just a bit manic.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I wouldn’t put it past Taika to be the filmmaker brave enough to finally introduce Jaxxon into canon where he belongs. In fact he should also voice him. :p

GregMcP likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Dude. After Mando season 1, chapter 2, I’m convinced a Jawa movie is what we need. And by Waititi? Yes please. My pitch is for a Jawa who doesn’t like sand and moves to a water world. But once there, he discovers that it’s really hard to find salvageable junk on a water world. So he needs to learn to find and sell junk on this planet, and he falls in with all kinds of characters along the way. But then he realizes that he wasn’t made to find and sell junk, so he becomes a fishing guide. And he’s happy. And his parents even come to visit him with the intention of bringing him back, but they see how happy he is and are happy too. And that’s it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    EHT and GregMcP like this.
  23. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Okay you've seriously thought about this.

24. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    To me it reminds me bit of Moebius' art style.

cwustudent and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes. We could get the Dune movie we never got. Only it’s Star Wars.