main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    When Lucasfilm says Rogue Squadron is delayed then I will believe it..

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This was included in what ostensibly amounts to a Lucasfilm-sanctioned writeup on the studio's productions both present and future. Given the level of access allotted to Vanity Fair here, and the relationship the article's author Anthony Breznican has with Lucasfilm, you can treat this as a PR piece. If this says Waititi's film is "likely first," with Rogue Squadron "further off," take that at face value as factual.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I want Kathleen Kennedy to ring me up and tell me herself before I’ll believe it. [face_not_talking]

EHT, TCF-1138 , Sarge and 3 others like this.
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I haven't read the article do you have a link to the article or is it on news stands?

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    No, I'll need Patty Jenkins to verify that in a face-to-face meeting. [face_talk_hand]

6. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/star-wars-cover-the-rebellion-will-be-televised

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  7. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Thank you! I will give it a read later!

8. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Kennedy just confirmed it herself.

9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I know I just wanted a link I got one I'm very thankful I will read the article later!

rocknroll41 likes this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    As mentioned earlier, Vanity Fair has long been one of the few publications that we on this site have long considered to be "basically official", because of how LFL have essentially used them to distribute news.

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, by KK's latest interview (the one released today on VF), I think its safe to say this film isn't only happening, but that it is quite likely going to be the first movie out the gate since TROS. I hope Celebration sheds (at least a little) more light on it.

12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Hoping that if/when we do finally get some details on this one soon at Celebration, we get some all-out, primary color-laden swashbuckling in the Star Wars universe. I'd love to see Taika's venture into this world be a bit weirder, a bit more off-kilter, and really lean hard into the space opera sensibilities of it all.

But to be honest, I'd want that from a Taika Waititi-directed space opera film regardless of its brand attachment (or lack thereof).

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    You're 100% speaking my language here. This is absolutely what I'm hoping Waititi delivers, and frankly what I was expecting from Solo (which I still nevertheless enjoyed a lot).

14. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Yeah – I think Solo is actually a very well shot movie but why it was so murky, given its overall subject matter and central character, is something I can't wrap my head around at all.

The best episodes of The Mandalorian have been the weirder one-offs, and I'd like to see Taika's movie push that envelope and the associated weirdness even further.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm going to need at least one actual detail about this movie before I'm going to be even remotely interested. Same with the Feige movie, which is/isn't happening, depending on what day of the week it is.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Riv_Shiel, Sarge and PymParticles like this.
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, it's a SW movie, which is enough for me to be at least remotely interested. :p Whether I'll love it or not remains to be seen.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    These days, whether it even happens or not remains to be seen. They've announced too many things that haven't materialized. I don't take anyone's word for it anymore.

Nom von Anor and Mostly Handless like this.
  18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Oh yes, totally agree with you there. I just meant that I'm interested in it IF it comes to fruition.

19. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Sometimes I think people forget that Star Wars has always been weird. That’s why I like TLJ so much because it leans into that weirdness, more so than most recent Star Wars productions. I hope Taika’s movie is weird as heck.:)

20. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    TLJ is, indeed, the best Star War to come out of the Disney era yet.

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Disagree, but now we're just getting into "opinions stating" territory, which is not the topic.

Darth Smurf and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I am POTENTIALLY interested in this film, but not because of Taika's name. Which is how they've baited the hook, so far. They have to give me something more than that. Hopefully, Celebration will give a hint or two.

PymParticles and EHT like this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I also disagree. It’s the best Star Wars film period.

Sorry. Had to. :p

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Mods, please deal with this trouble maker. :p

TCF-1138 , Bor Mullet, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  25. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Tied with Solo for me, and both are my favorite Star Wars films since the original. Funny that two out of my three favorite films in the franchise are the one everyone hates and the one that didn’t make any money.

That said, if Taika’s film is anything like TLJ and/or Solo, I’ll be very happy.

Mostly Handless likes this.