main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    As much as I'd like to ban everyone who says nice things about TLJ, it's not technically against the rules. Apparently, people are allowed their opinions, or some such nonsense.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The thing that excites me most about Waititi simply being attached to direct is the prospect of the imager we could get, and the tone he could strike. He consistently balances comedy and sentimentality, leaning more towards one or the other depending on the project (see: Thor vs. Jojo Rabbit).

We get it, you don't like The Last Jedi, now ple- wait, sorry, old habit :p

3. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I was provoked. There were four positive comments about TLJ, almost in a row, outside of the ST forum. A man can only take so much. :)

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Well that's only because the ST forum has become perhaps the worst place on the boards to post anything positive about TLJ. [face_laugh]

5. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    On that note, I really hope that whatever Waititi makes goes over well with as large a contingent of the fan base as possible. I think if we have the benefit of a new era and all-new characters, it'll really help to smooth over any idiosyncrasies he integrates.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I never go in there. It's scary.
    I'm not that ambitious. I just hope I like it, and it's not too silly.

7. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    yeah, no kidding

8. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'd love if next week, we got the title for this film, a basic one/two sentence logline for the plot, and found out it starts shooting in late summer. It wouldn't even be out of the question. Rogue One didn't begin principle production until August 2015. I suspect the Volume/StageCraft could help cut production time as well, without sacrificing quality or the ability to do location shooting for certain scenes.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    As I've said before... like it, sounds great, makes sense, won't happen. :p

10. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Good point. I hadn’t realized until reading your post just now that they haven’t used the volume on any movies (yet). Only shows. Wonder if that’ll change soon.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There haven’t been any movies since it was developed. :p

12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I know Vanity Fair is reliable I love the magazine but I think the media and fans are reading the part of the article about Rogue Squadron wrong, here I will post it from the article in parentheses, "Kathleen Kennedy
    says, although Lucasfilm’s big-screen return is unlikely to follow the same relentless cadence as before." "A movie from Jojo Rabbit’s Taika Waititi and 1917 screenwriter Krysty Wilson-Cairns will likely arrive first, with Rogue Squadron from Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins further off."

As you can see the writer of the Vanity Fair article quotes Kathleen Kennedy as saying Although Lucasfilms Big Screen return is unlikely to follow the same relentless cadence as before. That's the Kathleen Kennedy quote ends with a period the stuff about Taika Watiti's film and Rogue Squadron is the opinion of the Vanity Fair writer not a quote from Kathleen Kennedy. I kind of new this from reading excerpts of the article but I just read it the whole article and now I know what I suspected is true. Thank you for posting the article @Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus likes this.
  13. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
  14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    @Leoluca Randisi Kennedy herself, in the full interview that @Darth Megatronus kindly linked you, says, “We have a road map. I would say that Taika’s story fits more specifically into that. Rogue Squadron…we kind of pushed off to the side for the moment. Patty is developing the script further. Then we will talk about how that connects to the central spine that we’re working on.”

Again, Rogue Squadron being postponed and Waititi’s film jumping ahead in the schedule to take its place is not Vanity Fair making an educated guest or theorizing. This is also a situation where someone at Lucasfilm had to read and sign off on the article before Vanity Fair published, because it’s essentially an exclusive access promo piece. That’s how this works.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. It doesn’t have to be in direct quotes attributed to Kennedy in order to be accurate. The whole article was blessed by LFL.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, you asked for it, so I figured "why not?".

[​IMG]

Don't make eye contact.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Sarge and PymParticles like this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Very true. But it was also in direct quotes attributed to Kennedy.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The article was blessed by LFL? Did they throw holy water at it and chant hymns?

PymParticles likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes.

BigAl6ft6 and PymParticles like this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I guess In the end I'm really disappointed I'm a big fan of Patty Jenkins I loved WW and WW2 I Really wanted Rogue Squadron to be the Next Star Wars Film and I wanted to see what Jenkins could do with a Star Wars movie you guys are right but I'm just really disappointed.

I'm as disappointed in the Rogue Squadron news in the fact that Kathleen Kennedy thinks fans didn't like The Han Solo movie. Most fans I talk to loved Solo quality wasn't the problem or actors. It was poor marketing and Star wars Overkill. I support and Like Kathleen Kennedy but I think New leadership is Needed Dave Filloni!

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  21. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    I think Kennedy is doing a fine job, honestly. I’ve enjoyed most of Disney Star Wars. I just think Covid screwed up all the scheduling, hence all the delays. I also think they know to take their time to produce the best possible film, hence why it’s taking a while with writing and coming up with a road map to future stories. They already tried rushing through a trilogy, and we all saw how that turned out.

22. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I used to agree with you not so long ago but I think Kathleen Kennedy is out of touch with what the majority of Star Wars fans want. When you run a movie studio you can't run it in a reactionatory way and everytime a faction of the fans or media don't like something you cave in to a minority of fans and media heck even if it is a majority of the fans that don't like it Artist/Directors have to have the freedom to make what they want not have fans and media tell them what to make or not to make. George Lucas new this he did it his way the right way.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  23. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    I definitely agree that they should have stuck to their guns with TLJ and not tried to course correct with TROS, but I don’t feel like they’ve done anything like that since.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I don't believe they course corrected it was planned all three films ahead of time especially after TFA Abrams said this that once TFA was finished they new the rest of the story. I forget where I saw that quote from Abrams.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  25. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    We know that’s not the case since the script for Episode IX that Colin Trevorrow was working on, titled Duel of the Fates, is remarkably different from The Rise of Skywalker. I’m a fan and defender of the ST overall, and they did have a framework for certain elements of the story or had ideas under consideration from the beginning, but the version of IX we received was definitely a course correction to some degree.